This video is unavailable.
Corporate Taxes: Advantages of a Territorial System
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 3, 2012
Produced by the Tax Foundation in Washington, D.C.
Script: Whether you know it or not, there's a tax barrier to bringing money into the U.S. It sounds strange, I know, but here's how it works.
Say you're a U.S. company, and you open up an office overseas to serve British customers. Any money you make in Great Britain is taxed at Great Britain's tax rate, in this case, 25%. And as long as you leave that money in Great Britain, you won't have to pay any more taxes on it.
But say you want to bring that money back into the United States. Well, before you can bring that money back to invest in the U.S., you have to pay the difference between England's tax rate and the U.S. tax rate, and since the U.S. has the second-highest corporate tax rate in the world, no matter where you're bringing the money from, you're likely to have to pay an extra tax to bring it home to the U.S.
In this case, you'd have to pay the difference between England's tax rate of 25% and the U.S. tax rate of 35%. It's almost like paying a toll to bring money to the U.S. And that discourages investment in America, year after year. That's money that should be in America -- there shouldn't be a penalty for bringing it home.
So, what can we do? Well, in addition to reducing our 35% tax rate, the answer may lie in what almost every other developed country has already done. It's called a territorial tax system.
In a territorial system, companies only pay taxes on the profits earned here in America. Profits earned in markets outside the United States can be brought home and invested here year after year, without that added penalty. If you want to bring that money back for jobs, expansion, research, development, whatever -- you don't have to pay any additional tax.
And that's not all. Right now, U.S. companies are at a disadvantage when they compete for business abroad. Since their international competitors don't have to pay a toll to move their money back home, the U.S. companies have higher costs in everything they do.
But switching to a territorial tax system would create a level playing field, letting us win more business around the world. And that's good for our workers here at home.
And the increased money invested in the U.S. helps create American jobs and helps grow American businesses. Just a couple ways switching to a territorial tax system can help the American economy.
For more information, visit tax foundation dot org.
Standard YouTube License
- 13:42 Why does Starbucks pay so little tax? - MoneyWeek Investment Tutorialsby MoneyWeekVideos 11,367 views
- 6:51 Taxes Explained - American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012by usmc8201 712 views
- 27:56 Penn & Teller: Bullshit! - Season 7 Episode 7 - Taxesby TouchedMadness 25,961 views
- 4:56 Corporate tax: a race to the bottomby FinancialTimesVideos 757 views
- 9:05 Will Obama Offer Massive Corporate Tax Cuts to Make "Fiscal Cliff" Deal?by TheRealNews 1,932 views
- 2:17 The Double Irish and Dutch Sandwich - www.TaxTV.comby WatchTaxTV 4,133 views
- 9:42 Margaret Hodge on ropes over business taxes (16May13)by liarpoliticians 1,471 views
- 9:23 How to prepare corporation income tax return for business in Canadaby Allan Madan 17,069 views
- 3:21 Corporate tax shirkersby FinancialTimesVideos 678 views
- 3:13 Tax Advantages Moving Proprietorship to Incorporationby SmallBusinessBC 1,737 views
- 2:56 Education is Everything- Winner OECD Video Competition 2012by Rachit Sai Barak 4,403 views
- 9:37 Lec. 5 - Corporate Income Tax - Example 1by Osman Nal 11,226 views
- 1:18 Apple defends its tax affairs - corporateby Euronews 266 views
- 8:24 Tax Competition: A Liberalizing Force in the World Economyby afq2007 30,589 views
- 10:01 Ex IRS agent claims you don't need to pay taxesby Metellus10011 599 views
- 4:04 Personal Income Taxes - A Visual Explanationby Paul Van Slembrouck 7,132 views
- 6:21 Sounds of Resistance, Corporations not paying any taxesby endtheillusion 946 views
- 7:25 Corporation Tax Explainedby mulburyhamilton 14,024 views
- 3:02 Buffett on corporate taxesby ThinkProgress6 6,241 views
- 10:22 Lec. 3 - Corporate Income Taxby Osman Nal 10,272 views
- Loading more suggestions...