Joseph Smith as a Sexual Predator
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 20, 2009
Sandra Tanner describes it as an inescapable conclusion.
High quality, freely redistributable video file available for download here:
Sandra's ministry, Utah Lighthouse Ministry:
Transcription of the video:
How can you avoid the conclusion that Joseph Smith was a sexual predator? ... for instance in the newsletter "Sacred Marriage or Secret Affair" I tell about the case of Lucy Walker. Now here is a young girl where she is in a family of ten children, the family converts to Mormonism, they end up moving to Nauvoo. But the mother gets malaria in Nauvoo and dies and then one of the children dies. ... and Joseph Smith's solution to this family's situation is to send the father on a two year mission to the east coast, divide up the children into different homes, and take the teenagers into his home. So now he [Smith] has this sixteen year old girl living in the home with her brother that's a year or so older than her. He [Smith] starts privately going to the sister to try to convince her to become his plural wife. She's praying about the whole thing, she doesn't no what to make out of it.
Then it turns out that Joseph's wife Emma and the brother go on a shopping trip to St. Luis and while they're gone Joseph gets the girl to marry him. And she just that day, the day before, turned seventeen when she marries him in polygamy behind Emma's back. She later wrote in her own story of her life what a devastating thing, and how hard this was for her to do. She says here I was without mother or father to consult, no one around to go to too talk to, and yet being presented with this great issue. Of course she prays and finally feels God spoke to her and told her to do this and she goes into plural marriage. ...
This shows a deliberate effort of isolating this girl from her family, from everyone around her, from any support system, in a time of grief and loneliness; to put that kind of pressure on her is signs of a spiritual predator. I don't see how we can excuse this kind of behavior and say 'well he was sincere.' You wouldn't give that kind of leeway to someone who approached your sixteen year old daughter. ...
Why does Joseph [Smith] get a pass on these things? I don't understand how they [Mormon apologists and liberal Mormons] keep saying 'it's OK.' And if you read the [stories] of the different wives [of Smith] they all are horrible; going to teenage girls and saying God sent an angel with a drawn sword that was going to kill Joseph Smith if he didn't go into polygamy; if she didn't marry him God was going to kill him. ... The weight of responsibility this would put on a teenage girl, 'I'm gonna be responsible for the prophets death!' Then he would also put the responsibility on these young girls: that if you consent to this it will insure your parent's eternal salvation. ... How can a girl say, 'no, I'm not gonna help my parents have eternal life,' and so she finally submits to this. ... to me [this] clearly is the pattern of a sexual predator. ...
... the lies of Joseph Smith do affect people, they aren't just innocent things that don't touch other people; because of Joseph Smith's polygamy we have all the polygamists today. Mormons will say to me, 'but look at the fruits of Mormonism,' yea the fruits of Mormonism is sixty thousand people living in polygamy today, that's the fruit of Joseph Smith. Those people wouldn't be in those situations had it not been for him [Smith] privately going to teenage girls and coercing them into plural marriage.
See also: Grant Palmer's "Sexual Allegations Against Joseph Smith":
Standard YouTube License
- 41:09 The Stories of the Wives of Joseph Smithby Aaron ShafovaloffFeatured 116,601
- 25:54 The Untold Story of the Death of Joseph Smithby Aaron Shafovaloff 260,504 views
- 1:18:06 Why Mormons Leave, by Sandra Tannerby Aaron Shafovaloff 54,853 views
- 16:58 Joseph Smith and the Fraud of Mormonby testskriftene 3,625 views
- 1:07:27 From Mormonism to Christ - An Evening with Sandra Tannerby Aaron Shafovaloff 7,863 views
- 56:54 The 34 Wives of Joseph Smith (And Their 11 Husbands), by Chip Thompson & Doris Hansonby Aaron Shafovaloff 17,194 views
- 1:10:53 The Prophecies of Joseph Smith, by James Walkerby Aaron Shafovaloff 12,878 views
- 6:19 Joseph Lied: The truth about Joseph Smith pt. 1by TruthEternal777 20,249 views
- 49:24 DNA vs. The Book of Mormonby lhvm 222,173 views
- 5:33 Joseph Lied: The truth about Joseph Smith pt.2by TruthEternal777 5,594 views
- 5:03 The Fundamentalist Christian and Homosexuality: 6by triggergnu 3,206,519 views
- 7:02 9. The Occult - Jesus Christ / Joseph Smithby MRMdotORG 245,205 views
- 43:39 The Early Years of Mormonism, by Sandra Tannerby Aaron Shafovaloff 22,432 views
- 0:15 Family Guy: "Joseph Smith Discovering the Book of Mormon"by Grindael 316,021 views
- 10:59 AMAZING Joseph Smithby testskriftene 4,673 views
- 6:52 Joseph Smith and the Masons (Part 2)by THELDSLIFE 9,633 views
- 56:31 The Lost Book of Abrahamby Aaron Shafovaloff 295,745 views
- 9:00 1-11 MORMONISM -vs- Christianity - X Mormonsby SKYSPLASH 17,978 views
- 8:08 Joseph Smith married other mens wives!by Elder Joseph 2,355 views
- 6:12 Banned Mormon Cartoonby briman232 241,289 views
- Loading more suggestions...