NOC Mimicking Human Speech
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 19, 2012
A new paper published by the National Marine Mammal Foundation in the scientific journal Current Biology sheds light on the ability of marine mammals to spontaneously mimic human speech. The study details the case of a white whale named NOC who began to mimic the human voice, presumably a result of vocal learning.
"The whale's vocalizations often sounded as if two people were conversing in the distance," says Dr. Sam Ridgway, President of the National Marine Mammal Foundation. "These 'conversations' were heard several times before the whale was eventually identified as the source. In fact, we discovered it when a diver mistook the whale for a human voice giving him underwater directions."
As soon as the whale was identified as the source, NMMF scientists recorded his speech-like episodes both in air and underwater, studying the physiology behind his ability to mimic. It's believed that the animals close association with humans played a role in how often he employed his 'human' voice, as well as in its quality.
Researchers believe NOC's sonic behavior is an example of vocal learning by a white whale. After about four years, NOC's speech-like behavior subsided.
"When NOC matured, we no longer heard speech-like sounds, but he did remain quite vocal," Ridgway said. "While it's been a number of years since we first encountered this spontaneous mimicry, it's our hope that publishing our observations now will lead to further discoveries about marine mammal learning and vocalization. How this unique 'mind' interacts with other animals, humans and the ocean environment is a major challenge of our time."
Ridgway co-authored the paper published this week with Drs. Donald Carder, Michelle Jeffries and Mark Todd. Dr. Ridgway has 48 years of experience in marine mammal medicine and research. Colleagues often call him the "father of marine mammal medicine" because of his development of dolphin anesthesia, medical technology, and discoveries aiding marine mammal care.
Dr. Ridgway has served on the Scientific Advisory Committee to the Marine Mammal Commission, on four different committees of National Research Council/National Academy of Sciences, and was elected a Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America for his studies on hearing of marine mammals and as a fellow of the American College of Zoological Medicine for his work on marine mammal medicine.
How this unique "mind" interacts with other animals and the ocean environment is a major challenge of our time.
The National Marine Mammal Foundation has a mission to improve and protect life for all marine mammals, humans, and our shared oceans through science, service, and education. The Foundation's vision for the future is to revolutionize the way we think about marine mammals. By embracing the partnership created between human and marine mammal, we can create a sea change in our global approach to scientific exploration, ocean conservation, and public education. More about the National Marine Mammal Foundation can be found at www.NMMF.org
Standard YouTube License
- 1:53 Massive whale wants human company! | Crazy Cameramen Episode 4by earthtouchFeatured 11,496
- 5:41 National Marine Mammal Foundation: Inside Lookby NMMFoundation 4,952 views
- 59:07 Hidden Human History Movie - Hypothesis for Consideration Purpose Only! [Extraordinary Theory]by nwosatire 2,240,612 views
- 3:15 The Lyrebird Can Mimic Natural and Artificial Sounds From Its Environmentby Phobosuchus1 34,494 views
- 3:13 Fox loves marshmallowsby camelsandfriends 184,300 views
- Whale 76,998 videos509
- 1:43 SOS Saving Our Sea Lions Part 4by NMMFoundation 169 views
- 1:40 Amazing Blue Whale HD - the biggest animal on our Earth!by WeirdunderWaterWorld 1,312,795 views
- 2:38 Orca (killer whale) and dog - READ THE DETAILS!by orcagirl 1,370,365 views
- 10:42 Beautiful Nature - Deep Sea 1080p HDby wittydud 72,728 views
- 2:02 SOS Saving Our Sea Lions Part 5by NMMFoundation No views
- 4:36 The Great Dictator - Great Speech for Humanityby GreatHumanity 26,300 views
- 1:50 Cat and Dolphins playing togetherby n24our 5,868,494 views
- 0:24 The whale that talked like a humanby TheNationalNewspaper 1,763 views
- 6:27 VIP Mimics 50 bollywood actors in 5 minutes -Great Performanceby Paul Singh 815,082 views
- 2:57 Beluga Whale blows Bubblesby itnsource 439,377 views
- 1:41 SOS: Saving Our Sea Lions Part 3by NMMFoundation 40 views
- 14:09 Siva Reddy'S mimicry entertains audience - Tv9by tv9telugu 201,595 views
- 1:09 Noc the Talking Whale Sounds Ridiculousby 1OneMinuteNews 2,825 views
- 10:54 Octonauts s1e26 - beluga whales.aviby paraponzip 549,587 views
- 0:22 A whale called Noc has developed a way to mimic human voicesby FEARMEUFOOL 204 views
- Loading more suggestions...