NOC Mimicking Human Speech
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 19, 2012
A new paper published by the National Marine Mammal Foundation in the scientific journal Current Biology sheds light on the ability of marine mammals to spontaneously mimic human speech. The study details the case of a white whale named NOC who began to mimic the human voice, presumably a result of vocal learning.
"The whale's vocalizations often sounded as if two people were conversing in the distance," says Dr. Sam Ridgway, President of the National Marine Mammal Foundation. "These 'conversations' were heard several times before the whale was eventually identified as the source. In fact, we discovered it when a diver mistook the whale for a human voice giving him underwater directions."
As soon as the whale was identified as the source, NMMF scientists recorded his speech-like episodes both in air and underwater, studying the physiology behind his ability to mimic. It's believed that the animals close association with humans played a role in how often he employed his 'human' voice, as well as in its quality.
Researchers believe NOC's sonic behavior is an example of vocal learning by a white whale. After about four years, NOC's speech-like behavior subsided.
"When NOC matured, we no longer heard speech-like sounds, but he did remain quite vocal," Ridgway said. "While it's been a number of years since we first encountered this spontaneous mimicry, it's our hope that publishing our observations now will lead to further discoveries about marine mammal learning and vocalization. How this unique 'mind' interacts with other animals, humans and the ocean environment is a major challenge of our time."
Ridgway co-authored the paper published this week with Drs. Donald Carder, Michelle Jeffries and Mark Todd. Dr. Ridgway has 48 years of experience in marine mammal medicine and research. Colleagues often call him the "father of marine mammal medicine" because of his development of dolphin anesthesia, medical technology, and discoveries aiding marine mammal care.
Dr. Ridgway has served on the Scientific Advisory Committee to the Marine Mammal Commission, on four different committees of National Research Council/National Academy of Sciences, and was elected a Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America for his studies on hearing of marine mammals and as a fellow of the American College of Zoological Medicine for his work on marine mammal medicine.
How this unique "mind" interacts with other animals and the ocean environment is a major challenge of our time.
The National Marine Mammal Foundation has a mission to improve and protect life for all marine mammals, humans, and our shared oceans through science, service, and education. The Foundation's vision for the future is to revolutionize the way we think about marine mammals. By embracing the partnership created between human and marine mammal, we can create a sea change in our global approach to scientific exploration, ocean conservation, and public education. More about the National Marine Mammal Foundation can be found at www.NMMF.org
Standard YouTube License
- 52:04 Surviving Alone in Alaskaby VICE Featured 1,532,940
- 52:23 Homo Sapiens: The Birth of Humanity HD | NOVA Documentaryby DocumentaryNation254,557 views
- 51:09 New History of Humanity - Astounding Scientific Discoveriesby Deek Jackson138,570 views
- 3:15 The Lyrebird Can Mimic Natural and Artificial Sounds From Its Environmentby Phobosuchus161,003 views
- 2:35 CHARLI Robot Gangnam Styleby Dennis Hong1,406,872 views
- 0:41 Кит заговорил человеческим голосомby Ваш Голос140,049 views
- 32:09 Top Fifteen Shocking Moments in Video Gamesby rabbidluigi1,007,620 views
- 1:05 LISTEN: NOC, the Whale Who Could Mimic Humansby slatester143,101 views
- 4:32 Amazing BOUNCY BRIDGE -- Mind Blow #52by Vsauce25,211,892 views
- 4:32 November 2013 Breaking News Labs Mixing Human DNA Animal DNA 1 of 5 - Last days news prophecyby u2bheavenbound3,381,427 views
- 3:19 Talking Robot Mouth Mimics Human Speech #DigInfoby DigInfo TV405,666 views
- 8:54 The Valedictorian Speech that will change your lifeby Neel Sharma359,890 views
- 1:00:20 Fr. Joseph Puthenpurackal Speechby frjosephputhenpurackal80,751 views
- 1:36:17 Complete Third Presidential Debate on Foreign Policy 2012: Barack Obama vs. Mitt Romney Oct 22, 2012by The New York Times2,955,212 views
- 5:41 National Marine Mammal Foundation: Inside Lookby NMMFoundation6,277 views
- 1:10:18 sacred knowledge of vibration and the power of human emotionsby hus987pc1,665,068 views
- 11:52 How to Make Someone Sound Like an Idiotby Rhett & Link 2843,209 views
- 8:13 World's 10 Humans With Real Superpowersby Hybrid Librarian3,936,734 views
- 2:58 Whale Songby Oceania iWhales1,523,333 views
- 8:21 Humpback Whale Shows AMAZING Appreciation After Being Freed From Netsby JoinWakeUpWorld5,710,476 views
- Loading more suggestions...