WikiLeaks shows reporter killings in Iraq - RT 100406
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 6, 2010
** FULL LENGTH WikiLeaks video with subtitle in English:
** WikiLeaks Report: WikiLeaks report: http://collateralmurder.com/Wikileaks has obtained and decrypted this previously unreleased video footage from a US Apache helicopter in 2007. It shows Reuters journalist Namir Noor-Eldeen, driver Saeed Chmagh, and several others as the Apache shoots and kills them in a public square in Eastern Baghdad. They are apparently assumed to be insurgents. After the initial shooting, an unarmed group of adults and children in a minivan arrives on the scene and attempts to transport the wounded. They are fired upon as well. The official statement on this incident initially listed all adults as insurgents and claimed the US military did not know how the deaths ocurred. Wikileaks released this video with transcripts and a package of supporting documents on April 5th 2010 on http://collateralmurder.com
** To download (any video on YouTube), use the free software "RealPlayer SP":
WikiLeaks shows reporter killings in Iraq
06 April, 2010, 05:52
WikiLeaks has released a video taken from a US Apache helicopter showing the murder of two Reuters journalists in Iraq in 2007. Will there be any repercussions for the US?
At the time of its founding in 2007, WikiLeaks focused on exposing repressive regimes in Asia, the former Soviet bloc and the Middle East. On April 5, however, in an event at the National Press Club in Washington, DC, WikiLeaks released a video that implicates the United States military in a murder.
The video has raised new questions about rules of engagement in battle, liability of soldiers for their actions and the mindset of US soldiers fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The video, allegedly taken from inside an Apache helicopter flying over Baghdad on July 12, 2007, shows the shooting deaths of two Reuters journalists, Saeed Chmagh and Namir Noor-Eldeen while audio reveals that the soldiers mistook the cameras the journalists were carrying for AK-47s.
"The soldiers are treating war like a video game," said RTs Kristine Frazao, who attended the video release and watched the footage.
The soldiers in the helicopter were absolved of responsibility in the attacks, which resulted in the deaths of around a dozen people, by a military court, which ruled the soldiers acted under the rules of engagement.
Having read the rules, if you want to bend them or twist them, you can do that, said co-founder and editor of WikiLeaks Julian Assange. And then its up to a military court to decide if they have been broken or not."
You can see that the internal military processes do not work to bring justice or accountability," added Assange. What we have seen is that it is very, very rare for US soldiers to be prosecuted. In previous cases where there has been prosecution, the media exposed the moral abuse and there was a political response to push for prosecution.
WikLeaks stated aim has been to give journalists and whistleblowers a safe place to expose classified documents anonymously, but in this case, the organization seems to be going further, to demand justice for these journalists.
What keeps people honest is we understand how the world actually works. The first step is to get information out into the real world and the second step is to comment on it and to think about it, but we need sources that can get restricted information out to the public, said Assange.
Since the US invasion of Iraq in 2003 more than 100 journalists have died in the country.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:02 Generation Kill - Iraqby Journeyman PicturesFeatured 13,534,267
- 48:26 Dispatches - Iraq's Secret War Files - U.S. Killing Innocent People [Full Length]by PEACE 419,308 views
- 5:23 Ron Paul on Julian Assangeby fortyfivefive5 123,336 views
- 4:02 WikiLeaks Set To Reveal US-UFO War In Southern Oceanby WinduChi6 1,790,365 views
- 5:12 Apache FLIR Video Afghanistanby Kanal von SarethStorm 682,903 views
- 4:00 Apache Helicopter Attack 2011by administradorgreen 118,906 views
- WikiLeaks 19,158 videos892
- 51:08 Untold Story of the Iraq War ~ Commandos, Dirty Wars and Col. James Steeleby "Minds Are Like Parachutes - They Only Function When Open" 36,233 views
- 2:40 Leaked Video Shows US Attack in Iraq that Allegedly Killed Journalistsby VOAvideo 201,720 views
- 3:37 New target system for Apacheby armyweb 356,750 views
- 52 videos Play all AH-64 Apache / Apache Longbowby AJChairman
- 1:25 Footage of Taliban attack in Lahore - 02 Jun 09by Al Jazeera English 2,338,162 views
- 3:23 Wikileaks founder to CNN you should be ashamed, Larry you actually should be ashamed, as well."by paulboat67 250,065 views
- 1:35 Moment of Iraq explosion caught on video as bombs target police in Kirkukby RussiaToday 873,088 views
- 1:03 Wikileaks Video Of Roswell Grey Alienby bipyramid 2,526,525 views
- 0:55 WIKILEAKS UFO FOOTAGE THAT WAS BANNED FROM THE PUBLIC EYE!!by F7U12 4,409,418 views
- 0:42 Guy hit in head with .50 caliber ricochetby Kakigouru 20,997,667 views
- 6:27 Special: Blackwater - America's Private Army in Iraqby ik990 313,899 views
- 7:10 Julian Assange grills Julia Gillard on live televisionby joycelowenstein 363,472 views
- 4:59 Apaches Blast Enemy Fighters in Zabulby ISAF 437,237 views
- 5:29 WikiLeaks : US Apache footage///米の攻撃ヘリの誤算by 2010Document 74,762 views
- 0:31 Chick almost shoots herself!!!by gezicht22 7,892,729 views
- Loading more suggestions...