Brendan Rodgers presented as Liverpool Boss and proud of LFC history | Premier League news 2012
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 1, 2012
Brendan Rodgers presented as Liverpool Boss
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers to 'fight for his life'
New Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has promised he will "fight for his life" to bring success and ultimately the title to Anfield.
Rodgers, 39, was confirmed as Kenny Dalglish's successor at Anfield after Liverpool and his club Swansea agreed a compensation deal.
"I promise I'll fight for my life and for the people in this city," said the Northern Irishman.
"We might not be ready for the title now but the process begins today."
Swansea are understood to have agreed a £7m compensation package for losing the services of Rodgers, coach Colin Pascoe, assistant performance analyst Chris Davies and performance consultant Glen Driscoll. Rodgers is believed to have signed a three-year deal.
Liverpool have won the title 18 times in their history but the last time they were crowned champions was 1989-90.
"This is long-term and that's the appeal to me," added former Watford and Reading boss Rodgers.
"The history of the club and the frustrations was also an attraction. It has been 20-odd years since they won the title.
"This is a club that, if you have success, you are here for years.
"That's the aim arriving here. Of course that is about results and the progress of the team.
"I am very proud. I feel I have been blessed with the opportunity to manage the club."
Wigan manager Roberto Martinez was also in the frame for the job, but Liverpool chairman Tom Werner said Rodgers was the only person the club made an offer to.
The club have also scrapped plans to appoint a director of football - at Rodgers's request. Instead the club will create a "committee" which will make decisions on the running of the football side, including transfers.
"That [a director of football] was something I made clear I couldn't work with," added Rodgers. "What you need is an outstanding team. We will form a technical board that will have four or five people that will decide the way forward."
Liverpool fans have given a mixed reception to the appointment of Rodgers but the new man in charge at Anfield has vowed to win over the doubters.
"Hopefully over time I will earn their respect," he said. "It's a real special club. I'm really looking forward to moving here to the city."
On how he would handle Liverpool's big-name players, he said: "It is about people. It isn't about stars. I treat them as human beings.
"It is about respect and I have carried that from coaching kids at five years old to some of the biggest stars in the world. I was never the biggest player so I have had to earn my respect on the coaching field and as a human being.
"I am really looking forward to working with some of the greats of this football club. For me it will take a bit of time to introduce how I want to play and the philosophy I want to introduce."
Standard YouTube License
- 2:04 Alex Ferguson reacts angrily to Vieira criticism of Paul Scholes signing | Premier Leagueby /Football187,487 views
- 2:52 Kenny Dalglish sacking - Opinions from Liverpool fansby /Football7,642 views
- 3:06 Roberto Di Matteo on Bayern Munich Champions League finalby /Football7,209 views
- 0:52 Drogba confident ahead of Bayern Munich v Chelsea | Champions League final 2012by /Football15,307 views
- 24:38 MOTD3 - Brendan Rodgers on Swansea Cityby Swaansea82,542 views
- 5:35 Brendan Rodgers is Liverpool managerby Spencer Owen2,993 views
- 27:48 Brendan Rodger's December Fan Interview PART ONE (Redmen TV Exclusive)by The Redmen TV31,381 views
- 7:37 Extended Brendan Rodgers Football Focus Interview [31.08.2013]by showmetheFOOTBALL11,476 views
- 14:22 Brendan Rodgers' Pre Norwich Press Conference - 02 Dec. 2013by True Kop LFC648 views
- 5:35 Craig Bellamy In Singaporeby TODAYonline6,387 views
- 6:18 Rodgers can "deliver football Liverpool fans grew up with"by BTLifesapitch18,935 views
- 3:25 Brendan Rodgers: First INTREVIEW FOR LIVERPOOL FC !by TheOwnhd14,223 views
- 9:55 Liverpool-Roma 1-1 (4-2 pen) 1984by goldenstein84187,519 views
- 4:37 The Lucas Leiva Showby M9TProd40,703 views
- 4:21 Brendan Rodgers - Revolutionby LFCNORWBRANCH13,250 views
- 6:15 Roger Federer VS Andy Murray -- Cincinnati 2006 Highlightsby FedererPoints29,295 views
- 8:34 Kaizer Chiefs Legends 5 - 5 Liverpool Legends (4-2) - Goals & Penalty Highlightsby MattMzansi35,849 views
- 6:48 Brendan Rodgers meets the pressby Liverpool FC99,910 views
- 12:34 SAS - Suarez & Sturridge - Terrific Duo - Liverpool FC 2013 / 2014 - MRCLFCompilationsby MRCLFCompilations37,259 views
- 1:50 Alan Hansen says Brendan Rodgers will FAIL at Liverpoolby talkSPORTmagazine80,812 views
- Loading more suggestions...