Oregon White Truffle Hunting With Jack Czarnecki
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 22, 2012
To Jack Czarnecki, his lifelong fascination with wild mushrooms can be distilled down to one determinant factor: family genetics. More specifically, his father, Joe Czarnecki, who of European Polish descent, created quite a stir in his day with his cutting-edge restaurant called 'Joe's' in Reading, Pennsylvania. In the 1950's Joe Czarnecki was among the first chef's to use wild mushrooms, drawing culinary notables from afar, including Craig Clayborn, James Beard, and Julia Child who back then wanted "to find out about this guy".
As a child Jack Czarnecki would go on mushroom hunts with his father, but it wasn't until he and his wife Heidi, took over Joe's in 1974 that he really got hooked on foraging for wild mushrooms, and putting them on his restaurant menu.
Although the truffle is classified as a mushroom, it is almost wholly distinct from any other mushroom. In 1996 Joe's closed after 80 years of existence, and Jack and Heidi relocated to Oregon, and started The Joe Palmer Restaurant in the small town of Dayton, near Portland. It was here that Jack turned his attention to truffles, in part, because Oregon truffles at the time had been given the wrongful reputation of being somehow inferior to their European counterparts. Early on, Jack found both the Oregon White and Oregon Black Truffle to be quite the opposite, true culinary treasures.
As Jack Czarnecki explains in the video, one of the biggest challenges is learning how to make natural truffle oil; oil that faithfully reflects all the complexities and subtleties of the gasses inside a ripening truffle. Although he has made tremendous strides over the four years he has been producing his different truffle oils, he still feels he has more to learn about making truffle oils.
Jack Czarnecki's deep love of wild mushrooms, his training as a Chef, as a microbiologist, and his natural affinity toward philosophical inquiry— of seeking to grasp the large out of that which may be quite small— continues to fuel his drive to commercially produce a better truffle oil.
As though fulfilling an unwritten destiny, Jack's son Chris now runs The Joel Palmer House restaurant, and his other son Stefan is involved in the restaurant, and helping his dad with their truffle oil business.
In the Czarnecki family, the apple seems to fall not far from the tree.
Food.Farmer.Earth- a journey of wide discovery about our food
Subscribe to Food.Farmer.Earth-receive the latest videos
Food.Farmer.Earth follow us on twitter
Food.Farmer.Earth join us on Facebook
Cooking Up a Story-Bringing the people behind our food to life
Cooking Up a Story channel on YouTube
Subscribe to Cooking Up a Story-receive the latest videos
Daily Email Subscriptions
Cooking Up a Story twitter
Cooking Up a Story- Facebook
Standard YouTube License
- 12:39 Truffles: The Most Expensive Food in the Worldby CBS NewsFeatured 920,043
- 6:48 Pasture Raised Pigsby foodfarmerearth 46,716 views
- 4:27 Visit to a Rare Wasabi Farmby foodfarmerearth 19,623 views
- 5:34 Growing Micro Greens and Organic Produce for Restaurantsby foodfarmerearth 8,542 views
- 3:41 Capturing the True Truffle Flavor In a Bottleby foodfarmerearth 655 views
- 21:07 The Rise of Psychedelic Truffles in Amsterdamby VICE 1,312,881 views
- 8:17 Truffle Hunting Dogs in Oregonby faustonagualnegro 1,330 views
- 4:45 Black Truffle Farmby Benjamin Christie 36,563 views
- 2:43 Hunting Trufflesby Melanie Anne Phillips 11,093 views
- 0:57 Next Week: Oregon White Trufflesby foodfarmerearth 294 views
- 19:14 The Cannibal Generals of Liberiaby VICE 1,094,373 views
- 8:26 David Icke: Conspiracy of the Lizard Illuminati (Part 1/2)by vice 515,382 views
- 12:54 India's love affair with goldby CBSNewsOnline 223,628 views
- 35:11 Africa's Moonshine Epidemicby vice 2,000,251 views
- 3:30 More Oregon Black Truffle mushroomsby mycoexist's channel 52,322 views
- 13:02 Lagotto cherchant les truffes.by fly1only 7,000 views
- 7:30 Pani Barbara - Akcja trufleby yafud pl 247,392 views
- 19:22 Underground LSD Palaceby vice 2,859,290 views
- 12:06 The Scent of Blackby GrapeRadio 3,259 views
- 7:52 141 Baśka Blog: Piękna Kiki z domu starcówby BaskaTiVi 1,172,685 views
- Loading more suggestions...