This Week in Startups - Brian Lee, Co-Founder of Legal Zoom & Founder of ShoeDazzle
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 14, 2010
This week we have guest host Jason Nazar, Co-Founder and CEO of Docstoc.com and Brian Lee, Co-Founder of Legal Zoom & Founder of ShoeDazzle. For more information, show notes, and an upcoming schedule, go to www.thisweekin.com.
00:03:00 ShoeDazzle takes peoples information and recommends fashion items primarily shoes, Kim Kardashian is a Co-Founder and spokeman
00:05:30 How many shoes do women buy a year?
00:07:30 Are you a LA native? Yeah Brian grew up in Orange County and went to UCLA for undergrad and graduate school, his father is an entrepreneur, he worked for his businesses and his parents were shocked he wanted to be a lawyer
00:08:45 How long did you practice law?
00:09:30 Brian Lee and Brian Liu were friends at law school and they would eat lunch everyday and say their has to be something better than this, being a lawyer wasn't exciting, one day in 1998-9 they thought the internet was hot and thought why not create something law related online.
00:11:00 Approx. 92% of people who represent themselves they do something wrong and thought this was the opportunity
00:15:00 How did you meet and get Robert Shapiro (OJ Trial) involved?
00:19:00 First VC meeting was the day the NASDAQ crashed in 2000 and all they had was a team and an idea but no real product, yet they believed in the idea 100% and decided to bootstrap, they raised $50k from friends and family
00:21:00 How did you grow the company? We were profitable from day 1
00:31:30 How important was Robert Shapiro? Absolutely invaluable he brought credibility, PR and Buzz
00:35:30 Kim Kardashian is a co-founder and was not a cold call, Robert worked with her family and they wanted to leverage the same celebrity as they did with LegalZoom
00:37:30 How did you come up with ShoeDazzle?
00:45:40 What happens if a shoe is bought?
00:47:00 What is the next big challenge for ShoeDazzle?
01:02:00 What is your biggest mistake?
01:03:00 Biggest mentor?
01:09:30 How do you motivate your team?
01:14:30 THE NEWS with Lon Harris
01:15:00 iPhone 4 Recall?
Do you think Apple will recall the iPhone 4? What do you think of the way the company has responded to the issue publicly thus far?
01:18:30 Reddit Begs for Money
What do you think of Reddit - and by extension, Conde Nast - a major conglomerate - asking for money in order to keep Reddit going? Think the users will donate a significant sum? How else could they monetize what, by all accounts, is a massively successful service.
01:27:00 WSOP 2010 -- Wicked Chops Poker -- He went out with aces and made it to the top 3,000 out of 7,500 and lost his bet with David Sacks and will do a double or nothing on Full Tilt Poker with proceeds going to charity
01:33:00 Fring vs. Skype
What do you think of Skype's actions here? Are they behaving in a cowardly fashion? As an open platform, do they have the right to refuse to work with any other networks that they choose?
Next in - Startups: Season 1 Episodes
- 1:32:48 This Week in Startups - Steve Huffman, co-founder of travel site Hipmunk and social news service Redditby ThisWeekIn 8,436 views
- 53:18 - Startups - Bill Nguyen, Co-founder of Color.comby ThisWeekIn 15,792 views
- 2:03:47 This Week in Startups - Andrew Mason, Founder of Grouponby This Week In 2,366 views
- 52:18 This Week in Startups - Alexis Maybank, Founder & President of Giltby This Week In 2,947 views
- 1:34:58 This Week in Startups - Brian Alvey, CEO & Co-Founder of Crowd Fusionby ThisWeekIn 3,852 views
- 1:11:08 This Week in Startups - Dave McClure, Angel Investor and Founding Partner at 500 StartUpsby This Week In 6,473 views
- 1:25:42 This Week in Startups - David Heinemeier Hansson, partner at 37signals and creator of Ruby on Railsby This Week In 9,652 views
- 1:43:01 This Week in Startups - Jason Nazar, Co-Founder and CEO of Docstoc.com, and guest J. R. Johnson, Founder and CEO of Lunchby ThisWeekIn 2,402 views
- 1:18:55 This Week in Startups - Jessica Jackley, CEO of Profounder, Robert Wolfe, founder of CrowdRiseby ThisWeekIn 3,972 views
- 2:01:51 This Week in Startups - Rahul Sonnad, Founder and CEO of Geodelicby This Week In 1,737 views
- 1:42:56 This Week in Startups - Marco Zappacosta, CEO and Co-Founder of Thumbtackby This Week In 2,124 views
- 1:27:38 This Week in Startups - Salman Khan, founder of Khan Academyby ThisWeekIn 17,837 views
- 1:19:22 - Startups - Kevin Rose of Milk - TWiST #218by ThisWeekIn 17,419 views
- 1:06:51 - Startups - Ian Rogers, CEO and Founder of TopSpin Mediaby ThisWeekIn 6,675 views
- 46:26 This Week in Startups - Russell D'Souza, co-founder of SeatGeekby ThisWeekIn 1,752 views
- 1:11:05 This Week in Startups - Anthony Casalena, Founder of SquareSpaceby ThisWeekIn 3,919 views
- 1:10:23 This Week in Startups - Phil Libin, founder of Evernote.comby ThisWeekIn 6,260 views
- 52:41 This Week in Startups - Bonus: Live Q&A With Tony Hsieh and Jenn Lim of Zappos.comby This Week In 4,674 views
- 1:23:42 This Week in Startups - Barry Silbert, CEO and Founder of SecondMarket Inc.by ThisWeekIn 3,967 views