Team USA vs. Brazil Full Highlight 2012 HD
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 17, 2012
Tough start for the Americans. The Olympic basketball team couldn't get a stop, the president couldn't get a kiss.
Eventually, things worked out for both of them.
LeBron James scored 30 points and the U.S. rallied from an early 10-point deficit to beat Brazil 80-69 on Monday night in its final exhibition game on home soil.
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden watched the Americans get off to a dismal start, then turn it around by holding the Brazilians to two baskets in the second quarter.
"They came out really counterpunching and taking advantage of our aggressiveness on defense, and they're well coached. They came in with a great plan and executed their plan very well start of the game," U.S. guard Kobe Bryant said. "We made our adjustments second quarter, kept them to five points, which after the 20-something point first quarter is pretty impressive."
James helped the U.S. pull away in the final four minutes after they led by only seven with 4½ minutes left, getting his final point on a free throw with 31 seconds left as Obama departed.
James, who scored 14 points in the final period, said it was "humbling" and "overwhelming" to play in front of the president.
"You have dreams about being in the NBA. You have dreams about making the game-winning shot at the buzzer. You never have dreams about having the president actually watching you play, because you don't think it's possible," he said. "It's definitely humbling, to see him here, the first lady and their kids here to watch us play. Really, it's amazing."
Kevin Durant, a D.C. native, added 11 and Chris Paul scored 10 for the Americans, who will leave Tuesday for Europe to complete their Olympic preparations. They face Britain in Manchester, England on Thursday before traveling to Barcelona to play Argentina and Spain.
It's a solid exhibition schedule, and this game showed the Americans have some work to do before they get to London. They were just 1 of 12 from 3-point range in the first half and struggled offensively when forced to play in the halfcourt.
"It felt good, though, to compete and stuff like that," Paul said. "Like we said, our defense is what's going to win games for us and obviously we imposed that after the first quarter."
The president met with the men's and women's teams, who swept the doubleheader from Brazil. He received a loud cheer when he arrived but like the U.S. players got off to a slow start. He needed a second chance in the fourth quarter before first lady Michelle Obama would grant him a kiss on the "Kiss Cam" segment, the crowd booing when she wouldn't allow him a smooch in the second quarter.
"You know, PDA is not for everybody, you know what I mean?" Bryant said. "But he makes the important decisions, so it's all good."
Players were just walking onto the floor for the jump ball when Obama and Biden emerged from the tunnel to take their seats. The start was delayed while they greeted fans, and perhaps the break had the U.S. players out of rhythm at the beginning of the game.
James hit two free throws to open the scoring, but the Americans didn't make their first basket until more than 2½ minutes in after falling behind 7-2. Alex Garcia had two 3-pointers and two other baskets in the early going as Brazil pushed the lead to 17-7 barely five minutes into the game.
Indicative of the way things were going for the Americans, Russell Westbrook came up with a steal near midcourt and was all alone for a layup that he somehow botched. The Brazilians scored the final four points of the period, taking a 27-17 lead on Anderson Varejao's jumper with 15.5 seconds left.
Brazil coach Ruben Magnano said through an interpreter the goal was "not to focus on the names on the jersey and play the game, and they did it for almost 40 minutes ... head to head against the USA.
"It was a very important challenge to make the team ready for the Olympics," he added.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:59 Kyrie Irving Full Highlights 2013.07.25 USA Team Showcase - 23 Pts, 7 Assistsby Dawk Ins Featured 750,407
- 1:09:16 Dream Team 1992 Documentaryby JesseC198729,325 views
- 9:22 USA Highlights vs Nigeria 2012 Highlights (All Baskets) Olympic Record!by Jay See484,889 views
- 21:04 Kobe Bryant 81 Points Game Highlightsby Socka V. Iv1,612,083 views
- 3:32 Team USA vs. Great Britain Full Highlight 2012 HDby MrPennyccw361,704 views
- 1:27:48 Magic & Bird - A Courtship of Rivals HDby MrPennyccw1,366,760 views
- 10:44 Team USA vs. Dominican Republic Full Highlight 2012 HDby MrPennyccw1,575,844 views
- 6:10 USA Highlights (All Baskets) vs Spain Finalsby Jay See227,639 views
- 2:22:40 Great Britain vs USA Men's Basketball July 19 2012 Full HD Full Gameby MrShowstopper08401,978 views
- 5:44 Chinese Kung fu basketball and Kung fu footballby SamuraiTogo2,939,340 views
- 4:21 Team USA vs. Argentina Full Highlight 2012 HDby MrPennyccw886,954 views
- 8:18 NBA Greatest Duels: Allen Iverson vs. Penny Hardaway (1999) *AI playoff Debutby MrPennyccw125,463 views
- 11:37 Michael Jordan one-on-one with Kobe Bryantby nickykm2,124,120 views
- 1:28:45 Spain vs USA Men's Basketball July 24 2012 Full Game Full HDby MrShowstopper08934,251 views
- 11:05 NBA Playoffs 2012: Best Moments To Remember HDby nbahdvideo795,913 views
- 7:07 Team USA best plays 2008by kietasss112,202 views
- 10:48 lyon marseille 5 5 enormeby jerome nicot685,066 views
- 9:46 USA Dream Team v Croatia 1992 -- GOLD MEDAL GAME --by baldheadkid712,386 views
- 4:43 1992 Dream Team Top 10 playsby littlepersians2,002,858 views
- 16:05 NBA 2K14 PS4 My Career - Got LeBron's Attention!by Chris Smoove576,094 views
- Loading more suggestions...