Uploaded on Jan 27, 2011
Music: "Jindo Arirang" played by Chae Okseon (gayageum musical instrument)
Ingredients (for 3-4 servings):
3 pounds (about 1.5 kg) of chicken chunks, salt, ground black pepper, potato starch powder, flour,sweet rice flour, egg, baking soda, canola oil (or vegetable oil), garlic, ketchup, hot pepper paste,rice syrup, vinegar.
See my site for pictures and descriptions of ingredients: http://www.maangchi.com/ingredients
1. Rinse chunks of chicken in cold water. Drain.
*tip: You could use chicken wings, too. About 24 wings will be 3 pounds.
2. Add 1 tbs ground black pepper and 1 ts kosher salt.
3. Add ½ cup potato starch powder, ¼ cup all-purpose flour, ¼ cup sweet rice flour, 1 ts baking soda, and 1 egg.
4. Mix well by hand and completely coat the chicken.
5. Put 6-7 cups of canola oil in a wok or frying pan and heat it up.
6. After it's heated for about 7-8 minutes, test if the oil is ready by dipping a sample chunk of chicken into the oil. If the oil bubbles, it's the right temperature to start frying.
Fry them using the double-frying method:
1. Fry the chicken chunks for 10 minutes over high heat.
2. Take them out of the oil and shake them off in a strainer. Let them sit for a few minutes.
3. Fry them again for another 10 minutes until all pieces look golden brown and are crunchy outside.
*tip: If your skillet is not large enough to fry all the chicken at once, divide it into batches like I do in the video.
While you are frying, you can make the sauce:
1. Put 1 tbs canola oil and 4 cloves of minced garlic into a heated pan,
2. Add 1/3 cup tomato ketchup, 1/3 cup rice syrup, ¼ cup hot pepper paste, 1 tbs apple vinegar and simmer the mixture for about about 7 minutes. Keep your heat low and be sure not to burn the sauce.
3. Turn off the heat and wait until the chicken is done.
Chicken is done? Then coat your chicken with the sauce:
1. Reheat the sauce.
2. Put the freshly fried chicken into the sauce and gently mix it up with a wooden spoon.
3. Sprinkle some roasted sesame seeds over top and serve hot or warm.