Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 23, 2010
How to make easy kimchi ("mak kimchi" in Korean).
full recipe: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-k...
It's made with small pieces of cabbage that are easier to handle and take less time to prepare.
Ingredients: Baechu (napa cabbage 10 pounds), salt, sweet rice flour, sugar, water, garlic, ginger, onion, fish sauce, squid, hot pepper flakes, leek, green onions, carrot, radish.
1.Trim the discolored outer leaves of 10 pounds of napa cabbage.
2.Cut the cabbage lengthwise into quarters and remove the cores.
3.Chop it up into bite size pieces.
4.Soak the pieces of cabbage in cold water and put the soaked cabbage into a large basin. Sprinkle salt. *tip: 1 cup of salt will be used for 10 pounds of napa cabbage
5. Every 30 minutes, turn the cabbage over to salt evenly (total salting time will be 1½ hours).
6.1½ hours later, rinse the cabbage in cold water 3 times to clean it thoroughly.
7.Drain the cabbage and set aside.
1.Put 3 cups of water and ½ cup sweet rice flour (chapssal garu) in a pot and mix it well and bring to a boil. Keep stirring until the porridge makes bubbles (about 5 minutes).
2.Add ¼ cup sugar. Stir and cook for a few more mintues until it's translucent.
3.Cool it down.
Make kimchi paste:
1.Place the cold porridge into a large bowl. Now you will add all your ingredients one by one.
2. Add 1 cup of fish sauce, 2.5 cups of hot pepper flakes (depending on your taste), 1 cup of crushed garlic, 1-2 tbs of minced ginger, 1 cup amount of minced onion. *tip: much easier to use a food processor.
3. Wash and drain the salty squid. Chop it up and add it to the kimchi paste. *tip: how to prepare salty squid is posted on the FAQ above!
4. Add 10 diagonally-sliced green onions, 2 cups amount of chopped leek, 2 cups of julienned Korean radish, and ¼ cup of julienned carrot.
5. Mix all ingredients well and your kimchi paste is done.
Action! Mix the cabbage with the kimchi paste!
1. Put the kimchi paste in a large basin and add all the cabbage. Mix it by hand. *tip: If your basin is not large enough to mix all the ingredients at once, do it bit by bit.
2. Put the kimchi into an air-tight sealed plastic container or glass jar.
3. You can eat it fresh right after making or wait until it's fermented.
I usually put all my kimchi in the fridge except for a little bit in a small container. I like fresh kimchi, so this way the kimchi in the fridge ferments slowly and stays fresh, while the smaller container ferments faster and gets sour. I use this sour kimchi for making things like kimchi chigae where sour kimchi is better. Then, when the small container is empty, I fill it up again with kimchi from the big container. It takes a little management, but experiment and you'll get the hang of it!
How do you know it's fermented or not? One or 2 days after, open the lid of the Kimchi container. You may see some bubbles with lots of liquids, or maybe sour smells. That means it's already being fermented.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:04 Emergency kimchiby Korean food with MaangchiFeatured 246,757
- 9:12 Korean beef barbecue ("LA Galbi")by Korean food with Maangchi 354,962 views
- 9:06 Making kimchiby Korean food with Maangchi 1,225,421 views
- 7:15 Korean fried chicken recipeby Maangchi 1,477,969 views
- 7:24 Món Ngon Mỗi Ngày - Dưa Cải Thảo - Cẩm Lyby duongnguyenpro 115,689 views
- 5:22 배추김치 Baechu-kimchi, Cabbage Kimchiby TheTasteOfKorea 181,264 views
- 10:17 Sujebi (hand-torn noodle soup)by Korean food with Maangchi 212,126 views
- 38:04 Making Sauerkrautby PublicResourceOrg 41,419 views
- 9:21 Kimbapby Maangchi 342,889 views
- 12:30 How to make Kimchi (cabbage) and Kkakdugi (radish Kimchi), 김치 & 깍두기 (Kimchi Recipe)by Crazy Korean Cooking 30,128 views
- 8:03 Sweet pancakes (hoddeok)by Korean food with Maangchi 296,775 views
- 8:03 Braised chicken with vegetablesby Korean food with Maangchi 184,550 views
- 4:51 Korean spinach side dish (sigeumchi namul)by Maangchi 218,955 views
- 8:53 Spicy Korean beef and vegetable soup ("yukgaejang")by Maangchi 154,651 views
- 5:51 Cooking Korean food: 2 tofu sidedishesby Korean food with Maangchi 174,796 views
- 8:36 Tuna pancakes (Chamchijeon)by Maangchi 120,128 views
- 5:45 Cubed radish kimchi (kkakdugi)by Maangchi 106,347 views
- 6:35 Chicken and rice porridge (dakjuk)by Maangchi 137,104 views
- 9:41 How to make traditional Korean rice cake (gyung dan)by Maangchi 320,779 views
- 4:58 Seasoned dried shredded squid (ojingeochae muchim)by Maangchi 83,459 views
- Loading more suggestions...