Yoko Ono: To The Light & #smilesfilm (Serpentine Gallery, London, UK) 19 June - 9 Sept 2012
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 25, 2012
Yoko Ono (born 1933, Tokyo) is a pioneering artist, film-maker, poet, musician, writer, performance artist and peace activist. Her prolific career has spanned five decades -- she has embraced a wide range of media, defying traditional boundaries and creating new forms of artistic expression.
The Serpentine is delighted to present the work of artist Yoko Ono. The exhibition TO THE LIGHT features work from throughout her prolific career, including #smilesfilm, a large-scale participatory project that encourages us all to contribute to her global anthology of portraits.
Yoko Ono TO THE LIGHT
TO THE LIGHT, a major exhibition of the work of celebrated artist Yoko Ono, reflects upon the enormous impact that she has made on contemporary art, exploring her influential role across a wide-range of media. This exhibition, her first in a London public institution for more than a decade, includes new and existing installations, films and performances, as well as archive material relating to several key early works. Ono's continuing interest in the relationship between the roles of artist and viewer is evident throughout the exhibition.
Yoko Ono: AMAZE
A number of works in TO THE LIGHT position both artist and viewer as agents of change. For example, a series of instruction pieces written especially for the Serpentine Gallery can be completed physically or mentally by the viewer, while the large-scale installation AMAZE transforms the viewer from the observer to the observed.
Yoko Ono: #smilesfilm 2010
Ono also presents #smilesfilm, a worldwide participatory project to be exhibited at the Serpentine Gallery and inviting participation online. Conceived as a way of connecting people across the world, the project invites people to upload images of their smiles to Instagram & Twitter (and other photo-sharing sites), accompanied by the hashtag #smilesfilm - from which all the smiles will be collected to create "a global string of smiles covering the planet and shooting to the Universe". For more information, see http://smilesfilm.com and look out for the accompanying iPhone & iPad Apps in June.
For the duration of the TO THE LIGHT show, there will be specialised #smilesfilm photo booths at the Serpentine Gallery to collect smiles and add them directly to #smilesfilm, which will be displayed on a large screen at the gallery.
About Yoko Ono
Working as an artist, film-maker, poet, musician, writer, performance artist and peace activist for over five decades, Yoko Ono has influenced generations of artists and received numerous prestigious awards. In her prolific career, she has embraced a wide range of media, defying traditional boundaries and creating new forms of artistic expression. Born in 1933 in Tokyo, she is a pioneer of conceptual art and her work has been presented internationally in major exhibitions and performances.
TO THE LIGHT at the Serpentine Gallery is part of the London 2012 Festival, a spectacular 12-week UK-wide celebration featuring internationally-renowned artists from Midsummer's Day on 21 June to the final day of the Paralympic Games on 9 September 2012. For more information on the Festival programme visit www.london2012.com/festival.
19 Jun -- 9 Sep 2012, 10am -- 6pm
London W2 3XA
T 020 7402 6075
F 020 7402 4103
Standard YouTube License
- 1:10:56 BED PEACE starring John Lennon & Yoko Onoby Yoko Ono314,391 views
- 13:29 Yoko Ono Interview on The Jonathan Ross Show 11 May 2013by Yoko Ono17,869 views
- 2:50 Yoko Ono on NBC Nightly News: "I envisioned the whole world smiling together"by Yoko Ono7,892 views
- 3:50 YokoOno PlasticOnoBand & IggyPop: Waiting For The D.Trainby Yoko Ono23,497 views
- 1:22 Yoko Ono talking to David Frost about her concept for #smilesfilm - 17 December 1971by Yoko Ono12,042 views
- 7:07 Yoko Ono and Artists Against Fracking Find Out What Fracking Has Done to Pennsylvaniaby Yoko Ono17,754 views
- 5:31 Yoko Ono on NDR Kulturjournal 12 August 2013by Yoko Ono1,556 views
- 9:18 YOKO ONO with Thurston Moore & Kim Gordon: 'Mulberry' (Live at Orpheum Theater)by Yoko Ono57,095 views
- 3:29 Imagine There's No Hunger 2012by Yoko Ono4,548 views
- 5:59 IMAGINE PEACE TOWER relights 9 Oct 2013by Yoko Ono3,026 views
- 3:08 BBC News: Yoko Ono interview about Meltdown 2013by Yoko Ono4,686 views
- 0:43 #smilesfilm by Yoko Onoby Yoko Ono10,413 views
- 1:04 Yoko Ono: International Widows Dayby Yoko Ono2,407 views
- 0:16 IMAGINE PEACE TOWER time lapse video - night of 19 Nov 2013.by Yoko Ono931 views
- 3:05 Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band - Bad Dancerby Yoko Ono542,733 views
- 2:23 RUV: Yoko Ono awarded Honorary Citizenship of Reykjavik, Icelandby Yoko Ono1,845 views
- 0:31 Gimme Some Truth about Fracking - Gov Cuomo - Don't Frack New York!by Yoko Ono61,070 views