March 2 Congressional Briefing on D.R. Congo - Congolese Senator Bernadette Mafuta Nkoy's Comments
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 6, 2011
DRC Senator Bernadette Mafuta Nkoy, one of the only five Congolese women senators and member of the opposition, speaks about the current situation in the Congo with the upcoming elections.
On March 2, 2011, the African Great Lakes Advocacy Coalition (Africa Faith and Justice Network, Friends of the Congo, Foreign Policy in Focus, African Great Lakes Action Network, Foundation for Freedom and Democracy in Rwanda, Congo Global Action Coalition, International Humanitarian Law Institute of St. Paul, Mobilization for Peace and Justice in Congo) held a Congressional briefing for Members of the Senate and House and their staffs in order to raise the profile of the UN Mapping Exercise Report and its implications for US Policy in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the Region.
This report, released on October 1, 2010, documents "the most serious violations of human rights and international humanitarian law committed within the territory of the Democratic Republic of the Congo between March 1993 and June 2003."
Human Rights Watch executive director, Kenneth Roth says: "If followed by strong regional and international action, this report could make a major contribution to ending the impunity that lies behind the cycle of atrocities in the Great Lakes region of Africa."
Philip J. Crowley, Assistant Secretary in the Bureau of Public Affairs at the State Department said that "The United States is firmly committed to helping the DRC and other nations in the region take positive steps to end the corrosive cycle of violence and impunity."
The speakers on the panel included Jacques Bahati of Africa Faith and Justice Network, Nita Evele of Congo Global Action Coalition, Nii Akuetteh, Africa Policy Analyst, and Claude Gatebuke of Africa Great Lakes Action Network and Rwanda Genocide Survivor. The panel was moderated by Emira Woods of Foreign Policy in Focus at the Institute of Policy Studies. Kambale Musavuli of Friends of the Congo shared with the audience the policy asks to considered by members of Congress to address justice and stability in the Congo and Great Lakes Region of Africa.
Standard YouTube License
- 17:38 March 2 Congressional Briefing - Q&A with the panelists round 1by Friends of the Congo262 views
- 6:38 March 2 Congressional Briefing on D.R. Congo - A Call for justice in the Congo to Rwandan Womenby Friends of the Congo507 views
- 4:32 March 2 Congressional Briefing on D.R. Congo - Rwandans' questions to the panelistsby Friends of the Congo547 views
- 3:20 March 2 Congressional Briefing - Congolese Embassy's Commentby Friends of the Congo319 views
- 52:35 Theatre Congolais - Mal Aimé #1by Theatres Congolais2,329 views
- 36:14 Theatre Congolais - Muana Na Ngai #2by Theatres Congolais1,722 views
- 7:07 Gatho Beevans : Coup de foudreby AFRIKAVISION3,788 views
- 9:08 Messieurs les députés, si vous aimez le Congo, Cessez la trahisonby ekonginda449,848 views
- 20:21 March 2 Congressional Briefing on D.R. Congo - Closing Remarksby Friends of the Congo1,304 views
- 4:21 March 2 Congressional Briefing on D.R. Congo - Jacques Bahati's Introductory Remarksby Friends of the Congo430 views
- 9:41 March 2 Congressional Briefing on D.R. Congo - Recommendations for Congress read by Kambale Musavuliby Friends of the Congo253 views
- 2:23 March 2 Congressional Briefing on D.R. Congo - UN expert from the Mapping Exercise shares commentby Friends of the Congo298 views
- 1:54:08 Femme seule vol 1by Kongo Lisolo36,300 views
- 8:58 Marie-Thérèse Nlandu propose: Leadership d'équipes pour l"Oppositionby ekonginda4411,752 views
- 2:41 March 2 Congressional Briefing on D.R. Congo - Welcome by Emira Woodsby Friends of the Congo750 views
- 50:38 Theatre Congolais - Muana Na Ngai #1by Theatres Congolais3,369 views
- 10:59 2/3 Congo Election 2011 UDPS PPRD Parlement & Constitution avec Double Face des Dupont-Dupontby VERITE CONGO2,759 views
- 5:56 March 2 Congressional Briefing - Nita Evele's Introductory Remarksby Friends of the Congo296 views
- 3:19 Breaking The Silence: Congo Week, Join The Global Movement!by Friends of the Congo6,436 views
- 55:29 Theatre Congolais - Liputa #1by Theatres Congolais4,923 views
- Loading more suggestions...