Citizens Intervention Trailer — thank you to all survivors!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 5, 2011
Washington, DC Oct. 31, 2011 -- Coffee Party USA launched the lobbying phase of its Citizens Intervention campaign today after battling the elements in a memorable open mic rally in front of the U.S. Capitol on Saturday. Coffee Party members from throughout the country met with their Representatives and Senators on Capital Hill to begin a partnership to advance campaign finance reform, Wall Street reform, and tax code reform. In the months and years to come, a growing network called the Citizens Lobby will bring open mic rallies to Members' districts, visit district offices, and continue building relationships on Capitol Hill.
Citizen Lobbyists had 32 meetings today at U.S. Representative and Senate offices
Citizen Lobbyists delivered hand-written letters to on behalf of concerned citizens who had sent them from around the country
A team of volunteers who live in the DC Metro area will continue to make regular visits to Capitol Hill, building relationships, and connecting elected officials to a national network of increasingly empowered citizens.
Ice storm creates challenges, lasting bonds
Despite freezing cold temperatures, high winds, hail, and snow flurries, the Citizens Intervention rally was an uplifting and empowering experience for more than 500 attendees including more than 150 speakers.
"We bonded through the adversity and learned that we can really count on each other even in the hardest circumstances. I would do it again with twice as much snow!" said Jose Gutierrez, a recent graduate from Purdue University Camulet in Indiana.
"Success is measured by how one adjusts to adversity and I could not be more proud of the Coffee Party members and visitors for what they endured in order to make their voices heard," said Egberto Willies of Houston, TX who served two shifts as emcee and is the host of the Coffee Party's Saturday radio show. "We identified the heroes and leaders who will help us reach our goal of achieving self-governance for the People."
Theresa Browngold of Doylestown, PA brought her family on stage with her to display nine of her paintings portraying people who have struggled with health care issues. During her remarks, she explained that the more haunting portraits used darker colors because they were of people who had died. "The paintings represent the uninsured, under-insured and dying. I wanted the country to see who cannot access healthcare," she said.
As the ice storm intensified and temperatures dropped, organizers decided to move the event inside before darkness fell. But soon after the event had moved indoors, some of the citizen speakers expressed a desire to return to the Capitol. Coffee Party co-founder Eric Byler grabbed a video camera, and together with Patrick Robinson and other members who had driven with him from Occupy Chicago, led about a dozen people back out into the cold. Byler said, "I actually wanted to stay out there. The show must go on, and it did, beautifully in our makeshift in-door stage. But for those of us who returned to the Capitol as the sun was going down, those last 10 or 12 speeches were deeply meaningful. We weren't going to let the storm beat us. We ended with the Pledge of Allegiance, spoken in the tradition of 'the people's mic."
Standard YouTube License
- 47:46 Lawrence Lessig Keynote on Citizens United Decision @ For the People Summitby coffeepartyusa7,132 views
- 9:46 Why the #99% will win — Eric Byler Speech at US Capitol on global democracy movementby coffeepartyusa1,870 views
- 5:22 Jessica English of St. Paul, MN speaks at US Capitol during Citizens Interventionby coffeepartyusa2,507 views
- 16:40 Jeff Andrade Duncan on Education "I teach my neighbors' kids"by coffeepartyusa6,170 views
- 42:03 John Stossel's Illegal Everythingby VP attnm383,315 views
- 7:34 Mark Pocan - Explains how ALEC is working to eliminate public education (AB110)by Nick Nice6,171 views
- 9:08 Rachel Maddow Sarah Silverman keeps Perrys n-word problem from fading awayby PresidentObama3107,620 views
- 4:49 How to really annoy banks and finance companies OWS Occupy 1 of 3by Random Film...95,721 views
- 5:04 Gary Renard pt 2 -On the Nature of Forgivenessby NewRealities30,422 views
- 3:52 9500 LIBERTY: Interactive Documentary scene from feature filmby 9500Liberty3,509 views
- 4:09 President Bush Addresses the Nation (March 19, 2003)by pitythefool77,354 views
- 5:26 FLASHBACK: Fox News On Gas Prices In 2008by mediamatters4america278,530 views
- 2:24 Mitt Romney in 1994 on Campaign Finance Reformby Andrew Kaczynski10,374 views
- 12:08 The David Portfolio —Jeff Andrade Duncan on Education, RosesInConcrete.orgby coffeepartyusa1,137 views
- 4:23 9500 LIBERTY extended trailerby 9500Liberty43,774 views
- 4:05 How to Film Protests | Prepare to Film | Part 1 | witness.orgby WITNESSToolkit11,757 views
- 9:09 Supreme Court FLASH RALLY Thurs. 12 pmby coffeepartyusa1,443 views
- 13:36 Jesse LaGreca speaks at US Captiol at Citizens Intervention rally 10/29/11by coffeepartyusa4,615 views
- 3:22 Anonymous #OpFacebook [French][OFFICIEL]by Anonymous Belgium344,956 views
- 2:35 US Govt. Fears Empowered Citizens(GraphicWarning).by B1uebott1e156 views
- Loading more suggestions...