Setting up Logic Pro's Environment for use with an MPC and a USB MIDI Controller
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 25, 2012
This video and accompanying download walk you though integrating Logic Pro into your MPC-centered studio. In this setup, we use the MPC as the sequencer, with Logic Pro acting a sound module. We also incorporate a USB MIDI keyboard controller.
When integrating Logic into your existing MPC work-flow, producers and engineers face two primary challenges:
1. By default, Logic Pro listens to input from all MIDI devices and channels. The MPC, on the other hand needs to communicate with multiple sound sources on different MIDI channels. We need to get multiple instrument tracks in Logic to listen to multi-channel MIDI coming from the MPC.
2. USB MIDI controllers like the MPK mini are an essential part of music production today. Logic Pro doesn't provide an easy way for us to route MIDI from a connected USB MIDI controller out to external devices like the MPC.
To overcome these challenges, we need to customize the hidden back-end of Logic's MIDI configuration: the Environment.
We've created a downloadable Logic template to do this for you. The only reason we need the accompanying video is to show you how to assign the specific MIDI devices in your computer studio setup to the objects we've created in the template.
SETUP YOUR MPC
1. Connect a MIDI Output on your MPC to the MIDI Input on your computer MIDI interface.
2. Connect a MIDI Input on yout MPC to the MIDI Output on yout computer MIDI interface.
3. Make sure the MPC settings are as follows: * Set the Track Type for each MPC track to MIDI (as opposed to DRUM). * Set the MIDI Channel for each track to a channel (1-16) to correspond to the instruments setup in the template * Set the Soft Thru option to As Track. This is a global setting rather than a per-track setting and is found in the MIDI menu/page on the MPC.
DOWNLOAD AND OPEN OUR LOGIC TEMPLATE
1. Click the following link to download the MPC and MPK Logic Template.
2. Once downloaded, unzip the file, and open the enclosed project file in Logic referenced in the video above.
FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE VIDEO TO SETUP THE TEMPLATE WITH YOUR PARTICULAR SYSTEM
The MIDI devices in your studio setup aren't identical to the ones in ours (most likely). Because of this, you'll need to do a little customization to connect the objects we've created in the template to the devices your particular setup. This is fairly straight forward, and the video above will walk you through the process.
SAVE YOUR COMPLETED SETUP AS A NEW TEMPLATE
Once you've done the steps above, you can choose "File... Save as Template in Logic" to create a ready-to-go template you can start new projects with in the future.
Also, check out the accompanying article for this video at noterepeat.com. If there are additions or followup videos based on viewer questions, we'll post them all to the article creating one complete resource.
Hope that this helps!
Standard YouTube License
- 18:15 How To Setup The MPK Miniby Buckle Vlog's31,860 views
- 17:39 Akai MPC Renaissance - Using as a plugin in Logic Proby noterepeatvideo13,686 views
- 31:03 HOW TO MASTER A SONG - 7 Steps to Loud!, FAT, & In Your Faceby Rob Williams665,163 views
- 11:13 Logic Tutorial: MIDI Drum Programming + Trap Beat Patterns (Pt 1 of 3) w/ Shadetekby Dubspot31,107 views
- 4:13 iDJ Live II VDJLE Installationby noterepeatvideo388 views
- 13:31 Studio Setup (Big D's Production Home Studio)by DeShawn Hendrickson17,836 views
- 38:53 Logic Pro 9 Beat Makingby apple201127,432 views
- 23 videos Play all TUTOby Buffle93
- 9:39 002 Logic 9 Basics - The Enviroment and The Mapped Instrumentby speedupmydaw6,621 views
- 18:38 How to build a home Recording Studio (DIY VIDEO)by AphexWolf163,548 views
- 5:14 how to record into pro tools with mpc 2500by Gsus Oneeightseven17,359 views
- 8:14 How To Use Fl Studio Like An MPCby Dylan Trackz174,695 views
- 16:14 Maschine Tutorial Pt 1/3: Composing a Track from Start to Finish w/ Mr. Invisible's Justin Aswellby Dubspot254,505 views
- 3:54 ION Audio EZ Vinyl/Tape Converter Installation and Walkthroughby noterepeatvideo282 views
- 11:31 araabMUZIK MVP OF THE MPC VOL. ONEby araabMUSIK1,068,022 views
- 6:48 how to connect an mpc 2000 to pro toolsby Alexis Ortiz11,214 views
- 13:18 Logic Pro 9 Tutorial - Mixing Techniques (Part #1)by Mitchel Pigsley99,867 views
- 14:17 sflogicninja : Logic Studio Pro : Elite Session : Part Oneby Pyratube27,858 views
- 6:14 MPC 4000 Sync W/ Logic 9 Tutorialby TheBeatzKnock12,766 views
- 0:44 MPC Renaissance and Studio - Online Software Authorizationby noterepeatvideo3,897 views