Mike Modano Emotional Night at The American Airlines Center (HD)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 6, 2010
Follow my YouTube video updates on Twitter. - http://twitter.com/HockeyWebCast
DALLAS -- Mike Modano turned what should have been a meaningless game between a pair of also-ran teams into something really memorable. Modano had a goal and an assist in regulation in possibly his final home game with the Stars, then scored in the second round of the shootout to help Dallas beat the Anaheim Ducks 3-2 on Thursday night. Modano will seriously considering retirement when the season is over, and he was overcome by emotion several times during the game.
"It was tough to leave the ice not knowing what the future holds, whether that was it or it wasn't," Modano said. "I didn't really have an idea what to expect but it was a nice way to possibly end it, how it unfolded. The fans were fantastic."
Fans cheered Modano when he took the ice for warmups, displaying such signs as "1 Mo Year" and "Say It Ain't So Mo," and they roared when Modano was introduced with the starting lineup. Modano was shown on the video board during a stoppage in play with less than six minutes left in regulation. He had tears in his eyes when he received an extended standing ovation. Even the referees applauded Modano and the Ducks on the bench stood and tapped their sticks on the boards in recognition. "He is the reason I chose No. 9 when I was coming up," said Anaheim's Bobby Ryan, who had both of his team's goals. "He stymied us tonight but if anybody deserved it, it was him." Ryan's power-play goal gave the Ducks a 2-1 edge at 15:16 of the third period. But Modano deflected Trevor Daley's shot out of the air and past goalie Jonas Hiller with 1:47 left in regulation to tie it at 2-2.
The goal stood after officials ruled that Modano's stick was below crossbar level, although it was a close call. "Maybe they threw me a farewell bone there," Modano said of the refs. Rookie Jamie Benn scored off an assist from Modano, whose 557 NHL goals are the most by an American-born player. In the shootout, Modano, who'd failed on his first five shootout attempts this season, beat Hiller with a snap shot. Stars teammate Jere Lehtinen, another veteran whose career is winding down, clinched the win in the third round when he fired a wrister between Hiller's pads. "It was a special moment, to see those flashes of brilliance, that he [Modano] can still do it," said Dallas goalie Marty Turco, who finished with 17 saves. "Tonight was about as good as it gets." Modano started the play on Benn's goal that tied the game at 1-1 at 12:44 of the second. It was Modano's 802nd NHL assist. Modano passed from behind the net to Lehtinen, who fed Benn in the slot for Benn's 22nd goal of the season.
The 39-year-old Modano began his NHL career with a two-game playoff stint for the Minnesota North Stars in 1989. The eight-time all-star has been with the franchise since, moving to Texas with the team in 1993. Modano, the franchise leader in 15 regular-season categories and 11 more in the playoffs, will close out the season — and possibly his career — Saturday night on the road against the Minnesota Wild. "This was a great night for a player that played a number of years and has been the face of the franchise, not only in Minnesota but here," Anaheim coach Randy Carlyle said.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:10 Wayne Gretzky: Final Gameby truMTVFeatured 57,572
- 0:34 Standing Ovation for Mike Modano as he returns to Dallas as a Detroit Red Wingby dafunkymex 17,401 views
- 2:53 Top 10 shootout failuresby TheBadQuality 439,810 views
- 8:31 Wayne Gretzky: 99 Foreverby truMTV 25,859 views
- 6:13 Pierre Lacroix emotional speech on Joe Sakic retirementby vnvzech 9,186 views
- Mike Modano 592 videos3
- 10:42 Cam Fowler's Emotional Rideby DucksTelevision 8,530 views
- 0:51 Mike Modano's first regular season shift, shot, and goal with the Detroit Red Wingsby NHLArchive 7,278 views
- 43:50 NHL Inside The Cup - Episode 1by SwissHabs 83,068 views
- 9:19 Mark Messier Oilers retirement-Behind the Scenesby 1hodgkryhockey 26,303 views
- 6:21 Top 10 Games In Minnesota Wild Historyby Fel0096 25,165 views
- 14:41 Peter Forsberg Jersey Retirement - Full Ceremony - HD [Part 1/3]by HockeyWebCaster 62,397 views
- 5:39 Mike Modano's Career Rewindedby Danny Luong 8,526 views
- 1:22 Mats Sundin Standing Ovation - Return to Torontoby sundinvideos 41,930 views
- 9:59 Mike Modano - Minnesota still loves you (part 1 of 2) Apr 10, 2010by Paul fromMN 4,565 views
- 1:13 NHL: Mike Modano Returns to Dallas, Honoredby NHLHockey95 17,440 views
- 12:12 Top 10 NHL Goalies Gone Wild [Part 1/2]by HockeyWebCaster 565,776 views
- 5:29 Mike Modano Highlights 1998 - 1999by DallasStars0723 6,359 views
- 6:01 NHL 2011-2012 Season Bloopersby Nhl720 597,567 views
- 0:30 They're Back! NFL Officials Receive Standing Ovationby tydrakcap 13,659 views
- 7:49 Willa Ford and Mike Modano on MTV's "Cribs" with never-before-seen footageby TheWillaFordNetwork 3,006 views
- Loading more suggestions...