Kundiman Mabuhay Singers
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 30, 2008
"Jocelyn ng Baliwag, Magandang Diwata", a kundiman circa 1800.
From 1896 to 1898 the most famous Kundiman, which fired the patriotic sentiments of the Tagalog revolutionaries in the struggle for liberation from Spanish colonial rule, was Jocelyn ng Baliuag. Officially known as Musica del Legitimo Kundiman Procedente del Campo Insurecto (Music of the Legitimate Kundiman that Proceeds from the Insurgents), Jocelynang Baliwag was the favorite Kundiman among the revolutionaries of Bulacan during the Philippine Revolution of 1896 - earning it the title "Kundiman of the Revolution."
In the guise of a love and courtship song, it features lyrics dedicated to a young and beautiful Filipina idolized in the Bulacan town of Baliuag named Josefa 'Pepita' Tiongson y Lara who symbolizes the image of the beloved Motherland, the Inang Bayan ng Katagalugan or Filipinas. JOCELYNANG BALIWAG P- Pinopoong sinta, niring calolowa Nacacawangis mo'y mabangong sampaga Dalisay sa linis, dakila sa ganda Matimyas na bucal ng madlang ligaya. E- Edeng maligayang kinaloclocan Ng galak at tuwang catamis-tamisan Hada cang maningning na ang matunghaya'y Masamyong bulaclac agad sumisical. P- Pinananaligan niring aking dibdib Na sa paglalayag sa dagat ng sakit 'Di mo babayaang malunod sa hapis Sa pagcabagabag co'y icaw ang sasagip. I- Icaw na nga ang lunas sa aking dalita Tanging magliligtas sa niluha-luha Bunying binibining sinucuang cusa Niring catawohang nangayupapa. T- Tanggapin ang aking wagas na pag-ibig Marubdob na ningas na taglay sa dibdib Sa buhay na ito'y walang nilalangit Cung hindi ikaw lamang, ilaw niring isip. A- At sa cawacasa'y ang kapamanhikan Tumbasan mo yaring pagsintang dalisay Alalahanin mong cung 'di cahabagan Iyong lalasunin ang aba cong buhay.
The kundiman is a love song and/or a patriotic song that generally expresses lamentation, a longing, a plea, or sorrow. Influenced by the culture of the times and the temper of the Filipino, the kundiman's purpose was never trivial and ordinary. During the Spanish colonial regime, the kundiman, "Jocelyn ng Baliwag" was disguised as an expression of love for a lady from Bulacan; it was actually an expression of love for the motherland and the hope of setting her free from the Spanish conquistadores.
The kundiman's beat is triple time, in minor key, and its lyrics are poetic, swaying smoothly with either a silent note or a mezzo forte. It is usually sung by a highly trained and skilled vocalist, accompanied by an equally trained and skilled string orchestra, or a pianist, a violinist, and/or a guitarist. No; ordinary vocalists and musicians cannot perform the kundiman. It requires more than just a singing voice and the ability to pluck some strings. If other nations have their opera, the Philippines has its kundiman, uniquely its own.
Standard YouTube License
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Kundiman Mabuhay Singers
- 3:38 Habang Buhay - The Mabuhay Singers (available in stereo)by apmech Featured 23,412
- 3:36 Ang Dalagang Pilipina by Ruben Tagalogby bulakenyongcanadiano139,404 views
- 3:22 O Ilaw - Larry Mirandaby bunoy2029,146 views
- 4:06 Mutya ng Pasig by Nicanor Abelardoby Meinard Belarmino y Perez38,069 views
- 3:02 o maliwanag na buwan - pilita coralesby pinoyako30136,589 views
- 3:52 Anak Dalita by Dr. Francisco Santiagoby Meinard Belarmino y Perez40,549 views
- 2:26 dampa = mabuhay singerby rhose5212,617 views
- 45 videos Play all visayan songsby Deluxxe310
- 4:14 Nasaan Ka Irog by Nicanor Abelardoby Meinard Belarmino y Perez52,924 views
- 3:40 Sa Kabukiran - Sylvia La Torreby apmech198,766 views
- 3:06 Labandera Ko by Ruben Tagalogby bulakenyongcanadiano16,114 views
- 3:42 Bituing Marikit by Nicanor Abelardoby Meinard Belarmino y Perez97,074 views
- 4:35 Mutya ng Pasig - Conching Rosalby Alfredo Villanueva47,647 views
- 3:35 Lambingan - Relly Colomaby apmech29,354 views
- 2:54 Kon Kami Ang Mahigugma - Mabuhay Singersby bunoy202,729 views
- 2:48 Leron Leron Sinta - Mabuhay Singersby bunoy2020,206 views
- 3:18 Ang Pasko Ay Sumapit - Mabuhay Singersby bunoy2080,385 views
- 2:21 Mabuhay Singers - Kadingding Sa Balitaoby toiletholder2,501 views
- 4:46 Random Girl in the mall blows everyone away at the karaokemachine singing Whitney Houstonby Yedi Mind5,160,594 views
- 2:46 Ang Tangi Kong Pag-ibig - Diomedes (Available in Stereo)by apmech197,231 views