Saint Jack - 1st Hollywood film totally shot in Singapore 1978 www.YouTubeYouProfit.com
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 1, 2010
http://www.SaveMoneyManageMoneyMakeMo... http://www.PhilinBangkok.com Saint Jack is a 1973 novel by Paul Theroux and a 1979 film of the same name. It tells the life of Jack Flowers, a pimp in Singapore. Feeling hopeless and undervalued, Jack tries to make money by setting up his own bordello, and clashes with Chinese triad members in the process.
Ben Gazzara stars as Flowers in the film, directed by Peter Bogdanovich.
Controversy about the film
Saint Jack was shot entirely on location in various places in Singapore in May and June of 1978. As of 2006[update], it is the only Hollywood film to have been shot on location in Singapore. Places featured in the film include the former Empress Place hawker centre (now demolished) and Bugis Street. The local authorities knew about the book, hence the foreign production crew did not tell them that they were adapting it, fearing that they would not be permitted to shoot the film. Instead, they created a fake synopsis for a film called "Jack Of Hearts", and most of the Singaporeans involved in the production believed this was what they were making.
The film was banned in Singapore and Malaysia on 17 January 1980. Singapore banned it "largely due to concerns that there would be excessive edits required to the scenes of nudity and some coarse language before it could be shown to a general audience," and lifted the ban only in March 2006. It is now an M18-rated film.
Saint Jack was re-released in North America on DVD in 2001.
A book which details the development, production and aftermath of the Saint Jack film, entitled Kinda Hot: The Making of Saint Jack in Singapore, was published by Marshall Cavendish in March 2006 and is written by Ben Slater.
In an interview with The New York Times on 15 March 2006, Bogdanovich said, "Saint Jack and They All Laughed were two of my best films but never received the kind of distribution they should have."
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Jelly Roll" on
- 19:13 Emmy Eats Switzerland - Swiss Snacks & Sweetsby emmymadeinjapan Featured 74,696
- 43:40 SINGAPORE MOVIE: 真相 TRUTH BE TOLD - PART 1by stayhomemovie2,032 views
- 15:00 Bangkok BTS and MRT Trains Skytrain Subway Underground System Asoke Sukhumvit Thailandby Phil Quay17,267 views
- 10:18 Pretty Polly (1967)by gonetopersia14,955 views
- 0:52 Singapore Mid 60's Old Photosby Phil Quay16,452 views
- 6:41 倩影儂 @ 巴耶利峇機場 versus 馬來西亞新加坡航空 (MSA )by hkgalbert3,587 views
- 2:17 Old Clarke Quay Singaporeby dewssTV11,063 views
- 11:21 Singapore - Crossroads of the East 1938by travelfilmarchive288,020 views
- 3:27 Old Singapore 1951. Cathay/Oriental theatresby MichaelRogge25,924 views
- 5:56 Paul Theroux in conversation with Eleanor Wachtel Part IIby IFOA6,513 views
- 13:51 BY BOGDANOVICH (8/12)by EldoradoRoad6,219 views
- 2:10 Singapore Dreaming BANNED Trailerby TalkingCock228,638 views
- 1:45:07 Amour - Film Complet En Francais 2013by Film Complet en Francais8,364,380 views
- 3:29 Saint Jack OFFICIAL Trailerby legendarycormanfilms7,324 views
- 2:28 How Singapore Got Its Nameby dewssTV3,653 views
- 16:58 Very funny singaporean lady talking about racist..by DQ1987366,272 views
- 8:56 Singapore National Day Parade 1980 , NDP 1981, 1982, 1983 & 1984.by home2009singapore10,491 views
- 3:00 Michael Rogge interviewed on Singapore in 1949by MichaelRogge5,023 views
- 4:55 11 Reasons Why Singaporeans Complain!by Ryan Sylvia1,257,438 views
- 3:51 Old Singapore, street of the dead, Sago Lane 1960by MichaelRogge43,862 views
- Loading more suggestions...