Hijacking Catastrophe: "Bring it On" pt. 1 (8 of 10)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 21, 2007
"By helping us understand how fear is being actively cultivated and manipulated by the current administration, Hijacking Catastrophe stands to become an explosive and empowering information weapon in this decisive year in U.S. history."
Naomi Klein | Author, No Logo
"The Media Education Foundation has been carrying out vitally important work on major issues of the day, in a highly meritorious effort to raise public awareness and understanding, work that is particularly crucial in advance of the coming election, which may well cast a long shadow over the country's future."
Noam Chomsky | Professor of Linguistics, MIT
"The next Presidential election will be a watershed mark in our history and the urgency of producing and distributing materials that show exactly what is at stake has never been higher. Hijacking Catastrophe will be a vital tool in the campaign to rescue American democracy from its internal enemies. It will enrage and empower as it enlightens and explains."
Robert McChesney | Author, Rich Media, Poor Democracy
�What it really comes down to is this: Are the American voters going to sit still for this? Are we going to treat our democracy like some sort of spectator sport, like watching the Super Bowl, or are we going to ask a little more of ourselves this time? Are we going to explore the Bush Administration�s claims? Are we going to look at the details of what this administration has actually done?�
William Hartung | Senior Fellow, World Policy Institute
The 9/11 terror attacks continue to send shock waves through the American political system. Continuing fears about American vulnerability alternate with images of American military prowess and patriotic bravado in a transformed media landscape charged with emotion and starved for information. The result is that we have had little detailed debate about the radical turn US policy has taken since 9/11.
Hijacking Catastrophe: 9/11, Fear & the Selling of American Empire examines how a radical fringe of the Republican Party has used the trauma of the 9/11 terror attacks to advance a pre-existing agenda to radically transform American foreign policy while rolling back civil liberties and social programs at home.
The documentary places the Bush Administration's false justifications for war in Iraq within the larger context of a two-decade struggle by neoconservatives to dramatically increase military spending in the wake of the Cold War, and to expand American power globally by means of military force.
At the same time, the documentary argues that the Bush Administration has sold this radical and controversial plan for aggressive American military intervention by deliberately manipulating intelligence, political imagery, and the fears of the American people after 9/11.
Narrated by Julian Bond, Hijacking Catastrophe features interviews with more than twenty prominent political observers, including Pentagon whistleblower Lt. Colonel Karen Kwiatkowski, who witnessed first-hand how the Bush Administration set up a sophisticated propaganda operation to link the anxieties generated by 9/11 to a pre-existing foreign policy agenda that included a preemptive war on Iraq.
Joining Kwiatkowski in a wide-ranging, accessible, and ultimately empowering analysis of American foreign policy, media manipulation, and their global and domestic implications, are former Chief UN Weapons Inspector Scott Ritter, former Pentagon analyst Daniel Ellsberg, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Jody Williams, author Norman Mailer, MIT professor Noam Chomsky, Code Pink founder Medea Benjamin, defense policy analyst William Hartung, author Chalmers Johnson, and Army Special Forces Master Sergeant Stan Goff (Ret.).
At its core, the film places the deceptions of the Bush Administration within the larger frame of questions seldom posed in the mainstream: What, exactly, is the agenda that drove the administration's pre-war deceptions? How is 9/11 being used to sell this agenda? And what are the stakes for America, Americans, and the world if this agenda succeeds in being fully implemented during a second Bush term?
Tariq Ali | Benjamin Barber | Medea Benjamin | Noam Chomsky | Kevin Danaher | Mark Danner | Shadia Drury | Michael Dyson | Daniel Ellsberg | Michael Franti | Stan Goff | William Hartung
Robert Jensen | Chalmers Johnson | Jackson Katz | Michael T. Klare | Lt. Col. Karen Kwiatkowski (Ret.) | Norman Mailer | Zia Mian | Mark Crispin Miller | Scott Ritter | Vandana Shiva | Norman Solomon | Greg Speeter | Fernando Suarez del Solar | Immanuel Wallerstein | Jody Williams | Max Wolff
Directed by Sut Jhally & Jeremy Earp
Standard YouTube License
- 25:17 What Happened to the 9/11 "Planes" and "Hijackers"?by AmericanCommonLaw20,969 views
- 25:09 Danger Zone: Ageing US Nuclear Reactorsby MissingSky1011,688 views
- 9:08 Jeremy Scahill "Our Media Culture NOW Is Quite Bankrupt!"by MOXNEWSd0tC0M6,024 views
- 9:00 Hijacking Catastrophe: "Things Related and Not" (4 of 10)by ChallengingMedia32,946 views
- 63 videos Play all i'm the oneby jhannai2010
- 1:03:00 DECLINE of EMPIRES: The Signs of Decayby eon3165,681 views
- 3:06 Hijacking Catastrophe: "Bring it On" pt. 2 (9 of 10)by ChallengingMedia30,422 views
- 46:20 Noam Chomsky "The Difference between Obama and Bush"by The Chomsky Videos3,137 views
- 9:52 Fukushima Nuclear Reactor unit 4 is sinking Lord help us all.by The2012clayman104,687 views
- 29:02 Independent Media in a Time of War (Full HQ)by Santarchy6,030 views
- 1:07:09 The Fukushima Nuclear Reactor Accident: What Happened and What Does It Mean?by citrisuc3,586 views
- 10:46 Bush, Cheney, PNAC, & The Criminal Conspiracy To Invade Iraqby 911NLP32,172 views
- 11:06 Steve Bridges - As George W. Bush with George W. Bush!by kmprod11,200,339 views
- 8:55 Hijacking Catastrophe - Part 4by 11September20017,478 views
- 57:44 The Alyona Show: In Case You Missed It-July 6by TheAlyonaShow500 views
- 10:59 Bring It On - The Ritz Hotel Waiters - Part 1by andyb291090,798 views
- 10:18 Scott Ritter on Iranian Nuclear Programby Soliloquy Monologues67,585 views
- 2:43 Olbermann to Bush, "Have you no sense of decency, sir?"by cuatb9122,564 views
- 12:12 Bring it on Again part 1by star0021,018,323 views
- 9:57 Aaron Russo - Architecture Of A Prison Planet (Pt. 1)by MainSourceNo1146,181 views