The Conscious Brain - Professor Damasio (II)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 2, 2011
Antonio Damasio is David Dornsife Professor of Neuroscience, Psychology, and Neurology, and director of the Brain and Creativity Institute at the University of Southern California. From one of the most significant neuroscientists at work today, a pathbreaking investigation of a question that has confounded philosophers, psychologists, and neuroscientists for centuries: how is consciousness created?
Antonio Damasio has spent the past thirty years studying and writing about how the brain operates, and his work has garnered acclaim for its singular melding of the scientific and the humanistic. In Self Comes to Mind, he goes against the long-standing idea that consciousness is somehow separate from the body, presenting compelling new scientific evidence that consciousness—what we think of as a mind with a self—is to begin with a biological process created by a living organism. Besides the three traditional perspectives used to study the mind (the introspective, the behavioral, and the neurological), Damasio introduces an evolutionary perspective that entails a radical change in the way the history of conscious minds is viewed and told. He also advances a radical hypothesis regarding the origins and varieties of feelings, which is central to his framework for the biological construction of consciousness: feelings are grounded in a near fusion of body and brain networks, and first emerge from the historically old and humble brain stem rather than from the modern cerebral cortex.
Damasio suggests that the brain's development of a human self becomes a challenge to nature's indifference and opens the way for the appearance of culture, a radical break in the course of evolution and the source of a new level of life regulation—sociocultural homeostasis. He leaves no doubt that the blueprint for the work-in-progress he calls sociocultural homeostasis is the genetically well-established basic homeostasis, the curator of value that has been present in simple life-forms for billions of years. Self Comes to Mind is a groundbreaking journey into the neurobiological foundations of mind and self.
Standard YouTube License
- 16:12 Consciousness, the new currency. Brandon Bays' views on the world and abundance blockagesby Lilou Mace Featured 7,151
- 2:29:36 Consciousness Science Kept Hiddenby YesEthan99,712 views
- 10:01 The Conscious Brain - Professor Damasio (I)by pangeaprogressredux14,557 views
- 1:34:18 The Neuroscience of Consciousnessby The University of Melbourne28,677 views
- 51:38 Neuroscience and the Psychopath Inside with James Fallonby TheLipTV2,743 views
- 18:43 Antonio Damasio: The quest to understand consciousnessby TED122,063 views
- 56:18 8. Susan Blackmore - Brain, Mind, and Consciousness - Skeptics Society 2005by Barry Belmont13,683 views
- 36:10 12. Ursula Goodenough - Brain, Mind, and Consciousness - Skeptics Society 2005by Barry Belmont1,582 views
- 1:29:29 How Does the Brain Work?by University of California Television (UCTV)9,730 views
- 21:59 The Science of Consciousness (Professor Gerald Edelman & Professor Christof Koch)by pangeaprogressredux4,067 views
- 58:01 Stuart Hameroff - How Does the Brain Produce Consciousnessby TheHallOfRecords6,575 views
- 1:24:34 Mind-Body Connections: How Does Consciousness Shape the Brain? United Nations 9/11/2008by NourFoundation9,257 views
- 42:03 6. Richard McNally - Brain, Mind, and Consciousness - Skeptics Society 2005by Barry Belmont765 views
- 1:29:07 Antonio Damasio: INET Keynote Address entitled Human Decisionsby INETeconomics7,280 views
- 58:41 BBC Documentary on Consciousnessby Bhikkhu Samahita121,270 views
- 50:57 Bruce Lipton - 'The Power Of Consciousness' - Interview by Iain McNayby conscioustv588,505 views
- 15:46 Consciousness Without Brain Activity: Near Death Experiences - Dr. Bruce Greysonby NourFoundation30,051 views
- 58:25 Graham Hancock War On Consciousness Video Censored from TEDX - PRN Interviewby Jacqueline Yogini20,110 views
- 1:14:22 Becoming Conscious: The Science of Mindfulnessby NourFoundation57,051 views
- 5:43 The Eastern Philosophersby pangeaprogressredux207 views
- Loading more suggestions...