Would You Give Up The Internet For 1 Million Dollars?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 6, 2011
The number of Internet users worldwide has now surpassed two billion and so many of us have integrated the web into our lives so much that it's hard to quantify how much it's worth to us. But why not give it a shot? Think about it.
How much would someone have to pay you to give up the Internet for the rest of your life?
Would a million dollars be enough? Twenty million? How about a billion dollars?
"When I ask my students this question, they say you couldn't pay me enough," says Professor Michael Cox, director of the O'Neil Center for Global Markets and Freedom at Southern Methodist University's Cox School of Business.
The free market, says Cox, creates a huge gap between what consumers would be willing to pay for Internet access and how much it actually costs.
It's cheap to get online and getting cheaper all the time. We see the same pattern with many other products. Take the cell phone. When it first arrived in the 1980s, the cell phone had no apps, no music, and no Internet access--it was pretty much a brick with buttons. Yet that brick cost about $4,000, and that's why only the super rich could afford them (think Gordon Gekko in Wall Street). Today, it takes only about 40 bucks to walk home with an iPhone.
Turns out capitalism has its own built in welfare transfer system.
"When a new product comes out we all get in line for it," says Cox. "The wealthiest people are in the front of the line and they pay the highest price for the worst version of a product." Real life Gordon Gekkos buy the products when they're expensive, and that lets the rest of us enjoy the cheaper, better versions.
Even in a lousy economy we all enjoy things, from smart phones to aspirin to air conditioning, that weren't available to the world's wealthiest people just a short while ago. And if we have access to something like the Internet, something that's worth so much to us, we just might be richer than we realize.
Watch our other video on the benefits of capitalism: It's a Wonderful Life! (with capitalism) http://youtu.be/bwH3Xr6uyG0
Presented by The Fund for American Studies (TFAS)
Written and produced by Ted Balaker, hosted by Michelle Fields, music by Jason Shaw @audionautix.com http://audionautix.com/.
Special thanks to Mr. Robert Hoffman.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:33 One Hundred Million Dollar Pennyby jazzntoehead's channelFeatured 185,732
- 6:47 It's a Wonderful Life! (with capitalism)by The Fund for American Studies 139,488 views
- 2:33 Randy Barnett on Constitutional Law and the Legal Studies Instituteby TFASvideo 473 views
- 1:52 What People are Saying About TFASby TFASvideo 289 views
- 2:25 TFAS Celebrates 20 Years with President Roger Reamby TFASvideo 133 views
- Capitalism 18,807 videos47
- 2:23 Milton Friedman - Greedby mearbhrach's channel 1,994,604 views
- 11:00 how to make a million dollars in a month make money online freeby North545955 8,734 views
- 4:13 MICHAEL DOUGLAS SWEARING PISSED OFF WHEN STOCK DROPS * GORDON GEKKO WALL STREETby SCUPPER77 32,684 views
- 7:09 Flight Of The Conchords - Jennyby asianscion 12,084,674 views
- 3:30 Greed is Good - LEEMAN BROTHAzby LeemanBrothaz's channel 57,025 views
- 1:40 what would you say to 1 million people?by gdorsain's channel 43,313 views
- 3:37 Ask the President: What are you going to do with $181 Billion Dollars if you're not paying bills?by iCaucusTV 37,950 views
- 5:46 How to Get 5 Million People to Read Your Website by Matthew Inman, Ep 69by Ignite 360,219 views
- 18:46 Peter Schiff Speaks for 1 Percent at Occupy Wall Streetby ReasonTV 452,149 views
- 2:53 Skins | I hope It Will be Worth What I give Up (For Jackie)by FilmDigest 5,161 views
- 2:27 Episode One: Economic Freedom & Quality of Lifeby EconFree 547,660 views
- 3:03 Please Give Me One Million Dollars on Who Wants To Be A Millionaireby roryandcraig 15,504 views
- 2:34 My YouTube Pay Check .How to get yours,"Quit Working"a job.by discosean21 79,536 views
- 7:33 "Fear the Boom and Bust" a Hayek vs. Keynes Rap Anthemby EconStories 4,261,653 views
- 0:59 FBI Public Service Announcement with Michael Douglas on Insider Tradingby JPDonald05 34,209 views
- Loading more suggestions...