Published on Nov 29, 2010
I've never seen a starship build quite this coherent and interactive in SL before. TBH I was blown away. It's not that the ship is particularly well designed (it's good, but not excellent), nor is it the overall quality of the build (above average, but far from perfect), but rather the simple fact that it has so many expertly scripted components, all of which work remarkably well given the abysmal state of Second Life's scripting language.
In particular I really liked the ship-wide GUIs, while not entirely intuitive they really have a striking visual style and were satisfyingly responsive.
Things that could use some improvement:
0) In general the GUI has a few superfluous elements.
1) Hydroponics is far too small to support a reasonably sized crew.
2) Likewise there are not enough cryopods.
3) The Library while awesome, totally clashes with the rest of the ship.
4) Some functions are invisible while in mouselook.
5) Some functions only work in mouselook.
6) There are more small laser turrets than are probably necessary.
7) Big laser turrets can shoot each other (as demonstrated).
8) What is wrong with the engines??? (LOL!)
9) Security is an issue, I infiltrated the ship with ease.
Otherwise, fantastic build!
Part II is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGRpB3...
Standard YouTube License