Dhyan Chand - The God of Hockey
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 17, 2010
The greatest player, the game of hockey has ever produced, Dhyan Chand's genius transcended national boundaries and created myths about his phenomenal abilities.
Winning three gold medals in Olympic games, he is undoubtedly, the best hockey player, India has ever produced.
He was born in a Rajput family on August 29,1905 in Prayag in Uttar Pradesh. His father was an army subedar. After an early education, he joined the Indian army at the age of 16, in 1922. He was a sepoy of the 14 Punjab Regiment. Subedar-Major Bhole Tiwari of Brahmin Regiment noticed his excellent dribbling skills and knack for scoring goals.
His exceptional abilities were proved in a match in 1927 when he exhibited his skills against the English hockey team, netting 36 of India's 72 goals in 10 matches, at the London Folkstone Festival. In 1928, Dhyan Chand was selected to represent the Indian hockey team in the 1928 Summer Olympics in Netherlands. He helped India win the gold medal and winning the finals against the Netherlands by a score of 3-0. In the 1932 Summer Olympics held at Los Angeles, USA, the team defended their tide, winning the gold. The team routed the US hockey team 24-1, a record that exists till today. During 1935 tour of New Zealand and Australia, he scored 201 goals out of the team's tally of 584 in 43 matches. Don Bradman, the legendary cricketer and Dhyan Chand once came face to face at Adelaide in 1935, when the Indian hockey team was in Australia. After watching, Dhyam Chand in action, Don Bradman remarked, "He scores goals like runs in cricket".
The 1936 Summer Olympics final at Berlin in Germany proved his love for the country and audacious jugglery and leadership qualities. Initially, Chand was refused permission to go at the Olympics. However, later he captained the hockey team. In a patriotic note, the team raised the Indian tricolour in the dressing room and sang 'Vande Mataram', rather than the British national anthem, which they were obliged to sing. The Indians were leading by 1- 0 at the half time. In the second half, they scored 7 goals. After trailing 0 - 6, the Germans are reported to have resorted to body play. In a clash with the German goalkeeper, Chand broke one of his teeth, but was soon back in action. India won the match by 8-1, with Dhyan Chand scoring 6 goals. Impressed by his performance, Adolf Hitler, supposedly, offered to make Dhyan Chand a Field Marshal in the German army but the latter refused. After World War II, he continued to play till the age of 42. After his retirement, Dhyan Chand earned a diploma in coaching from the National Institute of Sports in Patiala, Punjab. Residents of Vienna, Austria, honoured him by setting up his statue with four hands and four sticks, depicting his control and mastery over the ball.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Maa Tujhe Salaam" on
- 4:03 Blue Eyes Full Video Song Yo Yo Honey Singh | Blockbuster Song Of 2013by T-Series Featured 13,895,369
- 1:26:43 1975 WORLD CUP HOCKEY FINALby Satwant Singh21,388 views
- 7:15 Major Dhyan Chand Berlin Olympics 1936 (Rare Video)by Falcon Tvision9,666 views
- 23:54 Hockey Classics #3 - India V Pakistan (2003)by worldhockey72,991 views
- 30 videos Play all hockeyby mohansamy1027
- 3:17 WAQAR YOUNIS DESTROYS BRIAN LARA _ PHIL SIMMONS 1992_93by Pakistan Cricket609,414 views
- 22:38 Hockey Classics #10 - India V Pakistan (2005)by worldhockey40,250 views
- 5:28 Shahbaz Ahmed Senior - The Hockey Superstarby adeelkayanii57,291 views
- 40:20 21st Sultan Azlan Shah Cup 2012 - India vs Pakistan 2nd Halfby amjadtalal36,843 views
- 24:06 Top 10 Craziest Hockey Momentsby thatsusingyourface253,255 views
- 5:01 DHYANCHAND HOCKEY VIDEO SONG BY ANUPAM GULWADI.flvby Anupam Gulwadi9,632 views
- 2:19 Why did Tokyo officials broke the Hockey Stick of Legendary "Dhyan Chand"by Aavtar Singh20,784 views
- 27:02 Hockey Classics #4 - India V Pakistan (2003)by worldhockey34,624 views
- 1:25 Shahbaz senior worldcup final goal 1990by adeelkayanii67,638 views
- 7:23 Field Hockey Classics - India vs. Pakistanby SukhSingh0764,369 views
- 2:46 Olympic Hockey 1936 India 8 Germany 1by Anand George28,286 views
- 24:16 Hockey Classics #6 - India V Netherlands (2003)by worldhockey20,875 views
- 1:21 Usain Bolt New World Record 100m In 9. 58 Seconds In Berlin.Gold medal in Beijing 9.68 secby marteauv3,369,074 views
- 4:58 Milkha Singh Interview part-2by Abhishek Chaubey36,891 views
- 3:14 IF U R AN INDIAN WATCH THISby vivek4everyone8,589,365 views