Q: Obamacare mandate constitutional? PelosI: "Are you serious?"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 14, 2010
FLASHBACK: When Asked Where the Constitution Authorizes Congress to Order Americans To Buy Health Insurance, Pelosi Says: 'Are You Serious?'
CNSNews.com originally published this story in which House Speaker Nancy Pelosi dismissed the question of whether Obamacare was constitutional on Oct. 22, 2009.
Monday, December 13, 2010
By Matt Cover
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of Calif. gestures during a news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, July 30, 2009, to discuss health care.(AP Photo/Lauren Victoria Burke)
(CNSNews.com) - When CNSNews.com asked House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Thursday where the Constitution authorized Congress to order Americans to buy health insurance--a mandate included in both the House and Senate versions of the health care bill--Pelosi dismissed the question by saying: "Are you serious? Are you serious?"
Pelosi's press secretary later responded to written follow-up questions from CNSNews.com by emailing CNSNews.com a press release on the "Constitutionality of Health Insurance Reform," that argues that Congress derives the authority to mandate that people purchase health insurance from its constitutional power to regulate interstate commerce.
The exchange with Speaker Pelosi on Thursday occurred as follows:
CNSNews.com: "Madam Speaker, where specifically does the Constitution grant Congress the authority to enact an individual health insurance mandate?
Pelosi: "Are you serious? Are you serious?"
CNSNews.com: "Yes, yes I am."
Pelosi then shook her head before taking a question from another reporter. Her press spokesman, Nadeam Elshami, then told CNSNews.com that asking the speaker of the House where the Constitution authorized Congress to mandated that individual Americans buy health insurance as not a "serious question."
"You can put this on the record," said Elshami. "That is not a serious question. That is not a serious question."
Currently, each of the five health care overhaul proposals being considered in Congress would command every American adult to buy health insurance. Any person defying this mandate would be required to pay a penalty to the Internal Revenue Service.
In 1994, when the health care reform plan then being advanced by President Clinton called for mandating that all Americans buy health insurance, the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office studied the issue and concluded:
"The government has never required people to buy any good or service as a condition of lawful residence in the United States. An individual mandate would have two features that, in combination, would make it unique. First, it would impose a duty on individuals as members of society. Second, it would require people to purchase a specific service that would be heavily regulated by the federal government."
Later on Thursday, CNSNews.com followed up on the question, e-mailing written queries for the speaker to her Spokesman Elshami.
"Where specifically does the Constitution authorize Congress to force Americans to purchase a particular good or service such as health insurance?" CNSNews.com asked the speaker's office.
"If it is the Speaker's belief that there is a provision in the Constitution that does give Congress this power, does she believe the Constitution in any way limits the goods and services Congress can force an individual to purchase?" CNSNews.com asked. "If so, what is that limit?"
Elshami responded by sending CNSNews.com a Sept. 16 press release from the Speaker's office entitled, "Health Insurance Reform, Daily Mythbuster: 'Constitutionality of Health Insurance Reform.'" The press release states that Congress has "broad power to regulate activities that have an effect on interstate commerce. Congress has used this authority to regulate many aspects of American life, from labor relations to education to health care to agricultural production."
The release further states: "On the shared responsibility requirement in the House health insurance reform bill, which operates like auto insurance in most states, individuals must either purchase coverage (and non-exempt employers must purchase coverage for their workers)—or pay a modest penalty for not doing so. The bill uses the tax code to provide a strong incentive for Americans to have insurance coverage and not pass their emergency health costs onto other Americans—but it allows them a way to pay their way out of that obligation. There is no constitutional problem with these provisions."
Standard YouTube License
- 0:21 PELOSI: 'IS IT THE 11TH AMENDMENT? 14TH? WHATEVER... I'M WITH THE CONSTITUTION'...by ONEDAY .PerhapsFeatured 11,064
- 0:58 Pelosi's Reaction to "YOU LIE!"by Greg Hengler 128,726 views
- 0:20 Nancy Pelosi: Dumber than Soapby TheConservativePost 1,433,514 views
- 1:28 Speaker Pelosi justifies JAIL for not buying health insuranceby VideoSeattle 52,487 views
- 0:47 Nancy Pelosi Clueless about our Constitution says First Amendment protects the right to bear armsby MichaelSavage4Prez 9,416 views
- Nancy Pelosi 8,877 videos22
- 14:22 Christopher Hitchens on Dennis Miller Live 1999by franklymrshanklyy's channel 52,650 views
- 14:58 Jon Stewart Vs. Chris Wallace On Fox Bias and the Lame Stream Media's political agendaby ZoeShoo Entertainment, Inc. 207,607 views
- 8 videos Play all TEAM OBAMAby ccj4586ify
- 10:43 Dennis Miller-special Nancy Pelosiby autowmated 58,436 views
- 1:30 Obama will cut deficit in half FEB 2009by johnjms2's channel 86,004 views
- 1:20 Nancy Pelosi Tripping Over Words At Press Conferenceby HotAirPundit 37,245 views
- 2:26 Archie Bunker on Democratsby greatonyak 2,325,649 views
- 10:01 Dennis Miller interviews George Carlin (1997)by upandopen's channel 286,025 views
- 10:06 Wheat, Weed, and ObamaCare: How the Commerce Clause Made Congress All-Powerfulby ReasonTV 68,464 views
- 2:17 Buy Healthcare or go to Jail - $250,000 fine and or 5 years in federal prison for tyranny resistorsby jbranstetter04 12,002 views
- 9:20 Health Care Insurance is NOT A RIGHT - Part 1 of 2by FreeTheNation 10,059 views
- 1:03 Pelosi- Incompetent or Ignorant?by Ed Hill 29,188 views
- 4:13 Speaker Pelosi and President Obama admit JAIL is "fair" for not buying insuranceby VideoSeattle 12,552 views
- 1:55 obamacare For Thee, But Not For Meby AlreadyKnownAsX2 30,444 views
- 2:04 Obama White House Hands Out 111 Obamacare Waivers- Hides It on Websiteby jim hoft 488,961 views
- 0:47 Pelosi says just pass the bill, read it laterby Bob York 8,989 views
- Loading more suggestions...