OUR LIVES ON THE LINE: Voices from Chicago's mental health clinics
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 18, 2012
Mayor Emanuel's 2012 Chicago City Budget proposes to close half of Chicago's mental health clinics and privatize all 7 of its neighborhood health centers, cutting off access to care to some of Chicago's most vulnerable residents and under-served communities.
The Mental Health Movement, launched by Southside Together Organizing for Power (STOP)'s in partnership with the Community Mental Health Board of Chicago and AFSCME Council 31, has been trying to meet with Mayor Emanuel since he was just a candidate. We delivered 4,000 letters explaining that closing clinics is dangerous for communities and will carry unanticipated costs in extra hospitalizations and police response to preventable crises.
He ignored our letters and announced his plan to close and privatize our clinics. After asking for over a year to face the people his decision could kill, we sat-in for 10 hours at his office the day before the budget vote. Nonetheless, due to political arm-twisting, his budget passed 50-0.
The Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) has NOT consulted with the people this decision will affect. The Commissioner refused to appear at a town hall, meeting only with small groups who consistently told him that this decision will cost lives because many people cannot survive a transition to other clinics far away or cannot afford the co-pays charged in the private sector.
This video accompanies the report the Mental Health Movement is putting out about the dangers of closing Chicago's Mental Health Clinics. The report, titled "Dumping Responsibility: The Case Against CPH's Closure of Mental Health Clinics" is available on the STOP website at www.stopchicago.org.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Alabama (Live)" on
John Coltrane Quartet
- 14:43 Linda: A Documentary on Mental Illness Part 1by Todd DanforthFeatured 92,323
- 3:48 Rahm's Clinic Closer CHASED OUT of the South Sideby StopChicago 3,730 views
- 3:44 Occupy the Woodlawn Clinic in Chicago! Mental Health Movementby schoolofdissent's channel 1,647 views
- 7:38 Mayor Emanuel: The Grinch who Stole Clinicsby StopChicago 691 views
- 24:14 March On Obama HQ To Protest Chicago Mental Health Clinic Closingsby The Video Catalyst Project 166 views
- 7:35 North River Mental Health Center: Waves of Promise - Part Iby csomhc 1,735 views
- 9:52 Occupation of Woodlawn Mental Health Clinic - 2by mainjurii 215 views
- 8:12 Protesters Met By Police Outside Rahm Emanuel /Tom Barrett fundraiserby The UpTake 321 views
- 10:00 LABOR HIST: CHICAGO MEMORIAL DAY MASSACRE 1937 p1by ruggedouttechnicians 4,594 views
- 5:09 Mental Health Movement Resists Chicago Austerity Measuresby TheRealNews 865 views
- 9:23 Four Patients with Schizophreniaby videoberries's channel 573,947 views
- 1:48 "A Change Is Gonna Come" Chicago's Mental Health Movement occupies Woodlawn Clinicby schoolofdissent's channel 377 views
- 5:13 Dark Side of Serbian Mental Institutionsby mikimixx 2,034,540 views
- 4:09 5 Types of Bipolar Disorder (Mental Health Guru)by Healthguru 282,739 views
- 1:19:40 Developmental Diagnoses and Mental Health Disordersby UCtelevision 598 views
- 11:16 Privatization of Health Care Protest October 2011by antieviction1 150 views
- 0:45 20th Ward Alderman Cochran wants another liquor store in Chicago's Woodlawn neighborhoodby ChicagoNewsReport's channel 189 views
- 12:30 Media Representations of Mental Illness 1by Recovery; Mental Health 538 views
- 11:30 Ejercicios mentalesby Luciano84138 797,144 views
- 8:12 SocialScope Productions: A Gay In The Life "A Banjee Sunday Funday"by 50Faggots 1,900 views
- Loading more suggestions...