Women Leaders at helm of COP17
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 28, 2011
MRFCJ is delighted that the important role women's leadership can play in the United Nations Climate Change negotiations was highlighted today during the Opening Ceremony of COP17/CMP7 by its new President, Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, South Africa, Maite Nkoana-Mashabane and outgoing COP President, Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mexico, Patricia Espinosa.
MRFCJ has been working to harness women's leadership at the international level through a Troika+ of Women Leaders on Gender and Climate Change. Members of the Troika+ include Executive Secretary of the UNFCCC Christiana Figueres, Minister Nkoana-Mashabane, Minister Espinosa, EU Commissioner Connie Hedegaard and Executive Director, UN Women Michelle Bachelet, Mary Robinson and members of the Network of Women Ministers for the Environment.
As the international climate change negotiations are led by a growing group of women leaders, COP17 represents a real opportunity to demonstrate the value of women's leadership.
In a reference to the grassroots women who are struggling with the impacts of climate change on their food security, Minister of Foreign Affairs Mexico, Patricia Espinosa said today in her speech at the Opening Ceremony: "Many actors outside this process are ready to support our efforts. I have seen for example that women are actively seeking solutions and exercising leadership in their communities. Let us help empower them and boost their contributions".
President of MRFCJ, Mary Robinson who attended the Opening Ceremony said: "We have an opportunity if we link the leadership of women at grassroots, their wisdom, their knowledge, their coping mechanisms with the fact that more and more women are ministers and leaders who have access to the negotiating tables and access to the important meetings where decisions are being taken. It is fitting that women are leading this COP, here on African soil, where women are responsible for 60-80% of food production but where the impacts of climate change are being felt in their daily lives. If we really show our strengths as women leaders in Durban, we will change the narrative, we will genuinely change the debate on climate change and find much more practical solutions for the future."
During this COP, MRFCJ will co-host a high-level event with President of COP17, Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane, entitled Women Leaders' Commitments on Gender and Climate Change on 7 December which will convene women Ministers and deputy Ministers, negotiators, key civil society figures and senior women leaders to discuss how to take a human-centred approach to climate change that incorporates gender and sustainable development.
Standard YouTube License
- 8:52 BBC Newshour Interview with Mary Robinson - May 30th, 2011by Mary Robinson Foundation - Climate Justice2 views
- 2:37 A message from Mary Robinson on Women's Leadership on Gender and Climate Changeby Mary Robinson Foundation - Climate Justice3,224 views
- 2:01 Dr Abate Halstmariamby Mary Robinson Foundation - Climate Justice1 view
- 2:00 Joel Olooby Mary Robinson Foundation - Climate Justice1 view
- 18:15 President Jacob Zuma COP17, 28 November 2011by SABC1,634 views
- 5:01 Inside Google's Data Centerby Tzvi Filler103,522 views
- 24:54 Durban National Geographicby eThekwini Municipality6,642 views
- 59:26 Christiana Figueres: Meeting Our Climate Challenge - A United Nations Perspectiveby World Affairs Council1,170 views
- 2:23:55 COP17 official openingby SABC381 views
- 37:40 Upcoming UN Climate Change Conference in Durbanby European Commission - Audiovisual Services1,447 views
- 30:41 Conversation between Anthony Giddens, Conni Hedegaard, Erna Solberg and Heidi Sørensen at ZERO11by Miljøstiftelsen ZERO667 views
- 23:54 COP17/CMP7 United Nations Climate Change Conference 2011 in Durbanby European Commission - Audiovisual Services445 views
- 14:22 Nothing Inside is worth dying for ... Crime, Durban, South Africa (staying safe)by Caver4611,022 views
- 9:25 Christiana Figueres: Meeting Our Climate Challenge - A United Nations Perspective In Briefby World Affairs Council200 views
- 4:11 How Not to Start A Turbine Engineby Trackup142,330 views
- 21:12 Power Turbines: what are they ?by AgentJayZ98,665 views
- 9:02 Home server room/datacenter (full rack)by houkouonchi172,410 views
- 13:06 Brett Dawson - Group CEO, Dimension Data - Part 1by CNBCAfrica1,758 views
- 27:00 L'ONU et les ONG: Lumières sur les acteurs internationaux dans l'ombreby EcolePolAppliquee438 views
- 8:42 Facebook Data Centerby egyknightforums96,675 views
- Loading more suggestions...