IRS Protectionism: New Licensing Scheme Challenged in Major Federal Lawsuit
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 12, 2012
For more visit http://www.ij.org/IRS
Congress never gave the IRS the authority to license tax preparers, and the IRS can't give itself that power.
But last year the IRS imposed a sweeping new licensing scheme that forces tax preparers to get IRS permission before they can work. This is an unlawful power grab that exceeds the authority granted to the IRS by Congress.
The burden of compliance will fall most heavily on independent tax return preparers and small businesses. Unsurprisingly, big firms such as H&R Block and Jackson Hewitt support the licensing scheme. As The Wall Street Journal explained: "Cheering the new regulations are big tax preparers like H&R Block, who are only too happy to see the feds swoop in to put their mom-and-pop seasonal competitors out of business."
These regulations are typical government protectionism. They benefit powerful industry insiders and at the expense of entrepreneurs and consumers, who will likely have fewer options and face higher prices. But tax preparers have a right to earn an honest living without getting permission from the IRS. And taxpayers—not the IRS—should be the ones who decide who prepares their taxes.
That is why on March 13, 2012, three independent tax preparers joined the Institute for Justice in filing suit against the IRS in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. This lawsuit challenges the IRS's statutory authority to impose this licensing scheme, and seeks to overturn regulations that would affect an estimated 350,000 tax return preparers, forcing many of them to stop working in the occupation of their choice.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:08 IRS Insanity: Small Business Owner Takes IRS to Court Over Outrageous New Regulationsby PajamasmediaFeatured 12,547
- 5:01 Should You Need the Government's Permission to Work?by InstituteForJustice 109,201 views
- 5:05 Why Can't Chuck Get His Business Off the Ground?by InstituteForJustice 174,750 views
- 1:56 Can the Government Make Entrepreneurs Do Useless Things For No Reason?by InstituteForJustice 19,146 views
- 2:30 Policing for Profit - The Abuse of Civil Asset Forfeitureby InstituteForJustice 51,674 views
- 9:59 Ex IRS agent tells it like it isby nalldavid 366,577 views
- 49:04 The Attorney who Defended Joe Banister - Attorney Jeff Dickstein - 2007by freedomlawschool 634 views
- 9:30 Removing IRS & Federal Tax Liensby dgkqtz96 10,268 views
- 2:53 IRS Tax Is Illegal - No Tax Law Exists!!by lulu7777 108,260 views
- 7:50 Tax the Rich: An animated fairy taleby Fred Glass 405,186 views
- 9:34 "The Black Swan" author Nassim Taleb Cheers Ron Paul's Economic Platform on CNBCby ronpaul 75,811 views
- 50:10 Amazing Ron Paul Rally at Kansas Universityby RonPaul2008dotcom 29,795 views
- 6:49 ILLEGAL Immigrants Receive $Billions Yearly via IRS Loophole INCOME TAX FRAUDby LetFreedomRing 19,298 views
- 2:25 IJ on the Individual Mandateby InstituteForJustice 21,188 views
- 10:00 California Redevelopment Agencies Abused Their Powers & Should Never Returnby InstituteForJustice 5,776 views
- 5:11 The Onerous Compliance Cost of the Internal Revenue Codeby CFPEcon101 88,452 views
- 4:07 Winston Shrout - The history of the U.S. and the IRS Part 6by BoKnowsEntertainment 2,077 views
- 1:01 School Choice, Mothers, and Women's History Monthby BernardCenter 30,012 views
- 5:22 The United States Debt Limit Explained - (CR) Heritage Foundationby YouAskedAZ 72,036 views
- 7:31 Obama Admin Cites 'Int'l Permission,' Not Congress, As 'Legal Basis' For Action In Syriaby SenatorSessions 513,344 views
- Loading more suggestions...