IRS Protectionism: New Licensing Scheme Challenged in Major Federal Lawsuit
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 12, 2012
For more visit http://www.ij.org/IRS
Congress never gave the IRS the authority to license tax preparers, and the IRS can't give itself that power.
But last year the IRS imposed a sweeping new licensing scheme that forces tax preparers to get IRS permission before they can work. This is an unlawful power grab that exceeds the authority granted to the IRS by Congress.
The burden of compliance will fall most heavily on independent tax return preparers and small businesses. Unsurprisingly, big firms such as H&R Block and Jackson Hewitt support the licensing scheme. As The Wall Street Journal explained: "Cheering the new regulations are big tax preparers like H&R Block, who are only too happy to see the feds swoop in to put their mom-and-pop seasonal competitors out of business."
These regulations are typical government protectionism. They benefit powerful industry insiders and at the expense of entrepreneurs and consumers, who will likely have fewer options and face higher prices. But tax preparers have a right to earn an honest living without getting permission from the IRS. And taxpayers—not the IRS—should be the ones who decide who prepares their taxes.
That is why on March 13, 2012, three independent tax preparers joined the Institute for Justice in filing suit against the IRS in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. This lawsuit challenges the IRS's statutory authority to impose this licensing scheme, and seeks to overturn regulations that would affect an estimated 350,000 tax return preparers, forcing many of them to stop working in the occupation of their choice.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:50 Battle for the California Desert: Why is the Government Driving Folks off Their Land?by ReasonTVFeatured 272,560
- 2:25 IJ on the Individual Mandateby InstituteForJustice 21,122 views
- 5:05 Why Can't Chuck Get His Business Off the Ground?by InstituteForJustice 172,638 views
- 5:01 Should You Need the Government's Permission to Work?by InstituteForJustice 108,962 views
- 1:56 Can the Government Make Entrepreneurs Do Useless Things For No Reason?by InstituteForJustice 19,065 views
- 50 videos Play all Stupid tax argumentsby RetSquid
- 9:59 Ex IRS agent tells it like it isby nalldavid 354,812 views
- 7:58 Former IRS Agent Joe Banister and Ron Paul On CNBCby DBryson785 167,475 views
- 50:10 Amazing Ron Paul Rally at Kansas Universityby RonPaul2008dotcom 29,778 views
- 6:21 Jon Stewart Destroys Obama Over IRS Scandal & Lack Of 'Managerial Competence'by xtremetty 160,391 views
- 49:04 The Attorney who Defended Joe Banister - Attorney Jeff Dickstein - 2007by freedomlawschool 518 views
- 29:22 Kerry Martin, IRS Crookby LarkenRose 5,773 views
- 7:08 IRS Insanity: Small Business Owner Takes IRS to Court Over Outrageous New Regulationsby Pajamasmedia 12,404 views
- 9:30 Removing IRS & Federal Tax Liensby dgkqtz96 9,905 views
- 2:53 IRS Tax Is Illegal - No Tax Law Exists!!by lulu7777 107,687 views
- 9:34 "The Black Swan" author Nassim Taleb Cheers Ron Paul's Economic Platform on CNBCby ronpaul 75,571 views
- 10:00 California Redevelopment Agencies Abused Their Powers & Should Never Returnby InstituteForJustice 5,757 views
- 6:49 ILLEGAL Immigrants Receive $Billions Yearly via IRS Loophole INCOME TAX FRAUDby LetFreedomRing 19,020 views
- 11:13 New "Sinner's Tax" on Violent Video Games and Movies!by NerosCinema 4,151 views
- 2:30 Policing for Profit - The Abuse of Civil Asset Forfeitureby InstituteForJustice 51,260 views
- 7:50 Tax the Rich: An animated fairy taleby Fred Glass 396,863 views
- Loading more suggestions...