SMALL IS BEST from the Centre for Policy Studies
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 24, 2012
Video based on the CPS report 'Small is Best' http://cps.org.uk/SmallisBest by Ryan Bourne & Thomas Oechsle. Follow the CPS on Twitter and be the first to see our next video http://twitter.com/CPSThinkTank
Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/CentreforPoli...
Animation & direction by Leo: http://www.leon.cat - email@example.com
Music by The California Ramblers.
SMALL IS BEST
by Ryan Bourne & Thomas Oechsle
Economies with small governments tend to grow faster than those with big governments. This is the conclusion of Small is Best: lessons from advanced economies, by Ryan Bourne and Thomas Oechsle, published on Friday 25 May by the Centre for Policy Studies.
New analysis uses regression techniques across a long time period, and cross sectional analysis for the past ten years, to examine 34 countries defined as advanced by the IMF:
Econometric analysis of advanced OECD countries for the period 1965-2010 finds that a higher tax to GDP ratio has a statistically significant, negative effect on growth. For example, an increase in the tax to GDP ratio of 10 percentage points is found to lower annual per capita GDP growth by 1.2 percentage points. A similarly statistically significant negative effect on growth is found with a higher spending to GDP ratio. Detailed regression analysis stripped out the impact of variables such as investment as a proportion of GDP, the growth rate of the labour force, and the growth rate of human capital.
For the last 10 years, advanced small government countries have, on average, seen significantly higher growth rates than advanced big government countries. Between 2003 and 2012, real GDP growth was 3.1% a year for small government countries (i.e. where both government outlays and receipts were on average below 40% of GDP for the years 1999 to 2009), compared to 2.0% for big government countries.
There is little evidence that small government countries have worse social outcomes:
Health outcomes are mixed: in the past 10 years, life expectancy in small government countries has been higher than in big government countries. Infant mortality has been lower in big government countries.
Statistical evidence from the last 10 years suggests that small government countries achieve higher academic outcomes in reading, maths and science.
Employment growth and youth unemployment are not statistically different.
Tim Knox, Director of the Centre for Policy Studies, comments:
"This paper shows that smaller government results in higher growth -- making a mockery of the current austerity vs. growth division. This should give our politicians confidence to pursue a smaller state to achieve long-term, lasting prosperity."
© Centre for Policy Studies, May 2012
Standard YouTube License
- 7:57 Penn Jillette: Mistrust of Government Is a Beautiful Thingby bigthinkFeatured 128,211
- 39:41 Glenn Beck Exposes the Private Fed; Gets Fired by Foxby P0LICEstateWATCH 185,863 views
- 50:59 Labor's Evil Plan for Australia- Agenda 21 Genocide Planby SisyphusTwo 10,027 views
- 10:01 Super car driver idiots [NO pics, only videos]by tendency82hotmailcom 17,202,921 views
- 6:52 Rachel Maddow - Why 'small government' is a sucker's betby Licentiathe8th 2,963 views
- Gross domestic product 13,832 videos4
- 5:49 Ron Paul Didn't Expect This Response From Hillary Clinton - 4/22/2009by RonPaulcom 844,191 views
- 9:57 What We Believe, Part 1: Small Government and Free Enterprise.by BillWhittleChannel 134,244 views
- 3:35 THE QUEST FOR CHANGE & RENEWAL - THE IDEOLOGY GAP from the Centre for Policy Studiesby CPSThinkTank 2,695 views
- 1:07:53 UCLA Econ Debateby SchiffReport 37,073 views
- 3:14 Rick Santorum On Small Government (spread far and wide)by J. Barnes 123,936 views
- 3:06 RAIL'S 2ND CHANCE from the Centre for Policy Studiesby CPSThinkTank 2,227 views
- 5:19 Bruce Lipton - Corruption in Governmentby Bruce Lipton 18,545 views
- 1:35 It's Time to Tackle Tax Havensby TackleTaxHavens 12,390 views
- 3:36 Al Jazeera Frames - Tax Dollars at Warby AlJazeeraEnglish 18,827 views
- 2:31 Pingu Uncencoredby TZAndersson 42,787 views
- 4:03 Welfare State - animated series pilotby Tom Rudderham 8,106 views
- 3:16 Will Higher Tax Rates Balance the Budget?by LearnLiberty 66,142 views
- 4:59 The Bigger the Government... :Prager Universityby PragerUniversity 71,377 views
- 8:54 Paul Krugman on Newsnight, 30 May 2012by LF Forward 128,723 views
- 3:01 Your Taxes Explainedby richardcranium90210 4,639 views
- Loading more suggestions...