Uploaded on Apr 20, 2007
Full recipe is on my website: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/tofu-s...
Korean Tofu stew, doenjang chigae, is made with vegetables,tofu, and beanpaste. It's koreans' everyday house food. We eat it with other sidedishes and rice, but sometimes, especially in the southern part of Korea, we eat this stew with barley rice, vegetable salads, hotpepper paste all mixed together. Almost all of koreans love this food.
(Bean paste and vegetable stew)
• 1 medium size potato
• a zucchini or a squash
• 1 medium size onion
• 1 green chili pepper
• 7 dried anchovies
• 1 green onion
• 100-150 grams of tofu
• soy bean paste (doen jang)
• 4 shrimp
Almost all Koreans love this food, and I think you will, too!
1. Prepare a ceramic pot to put all the ingredients in.
2. Peel the potato, cut it into 2 cups worth of cubes, and put them into the pot.
3. Cut zucchini into 2 cups worth of cubes, and put them into the pot.
4. Cut your onion into chunks, and put them into the pot.
5. Slice your green chili pepper, and put it into the pot.
6. Prepare 7 large dried anchovies by removing their heads and intestines, chop them up, and put them into the pot.
7. Chop up 4 shrimp and put them into the pot.
8. Mince 5 cloves of garlic and put it into the pot.
9. Your pot will now be 2/3 full with your ingredients.
10. Submerge everything in water and cook it over high heat.
*tip: Don't put too much water, just enough to cover everything
11. When it starts boiling, add 4-6 tbs of bean paste, stir the stew, and keep cooking
12. When the stew is sizzling and all ingredients are cooked, cut your tofu into cubes, chop up 1 green onion, and add them to the stew.
13. Occasionally stir the boiling stew with a spoon.
14. Serve it with a bowl of rice and other side dishes.
*tip: to check whether or not the ingredients are cooked, taste the potato.
"Korean style mixed green salad"
Ingredients: a big bowl of mixed greens (you can replace it with lettuce), cucumber, 1 green onion, 1 clove of garlic, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and sesame seeds
1. Wash a big bowl of mixed greens (5-6 cups) and drain it. If you use lettuce, tear it up into bite sized pieces.
2. Slice cucumber thinly (cut cucumber in half in length first, and slice it diagonally) and add it into the bowl.
3. Make the sauce by mixing up 3 tbs of soy sauce, 1 tbs of hot pepper flakes, 1 ts of sugar, and ½ tbs of sesame seeds and 1tbs of sesame oil
4. Mix the vegetables with the sauce.
5. Transfer the salad to a glass bowl or a big plate and serve it.
Serving it all together:
In a big bowl, place rice first, then add a scoop of doen jang jjigae and the vegetable salad ("gutgeorie"). Mix in some hot pepper paste and sesame oil. Wow, it'll be delicious! : )