Sir Ranulph Fiennes - Isle Of Man Post Office Event
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 11, 2012
An evening with Sir Ranulph Fiennes OBE held on Tuesday, 2nd October 2012 was sponsored by Isle of Man Post Office was an overwhelming success. Organised by the Isle of Man Sporting and Dining Club, a packed audience at the Gaiety Theatre listened to the intrepid explorer's autobiographical talk about the highs and lows of his career which has seen him undertake some awe-inspiring adventures.
Sir Ranulph does not shy away from a challenge and has parachuted onto Europe's highest glacier, forced his way up 4,000 miles of the mightiest rivers of Canada and Alaska, trekked on foot and unsupported to the North Pole and undertaken the great Transglobe expedition in which Fiennes and his companion Charles Burton became the first men in history to reach both poles.
His fascinating talk was illustrated by photographs from his various expeditions along with facts and some astonishing tales. All delivered in an articulate, genial and entertaining manner.
The event also coincided with Isle of Man Stamps & Coins issuing a new set of stamps to commemorate the Centenary of Scott's South Pole Expedition and the stamps were on sale for the very first time at the event. This is an expedition which Sir Ranulph is very passionate about and the stamp issue commemorates Captain Scott's heroic expedition to the South Pole. Sir Ranulph, who is also a well established author having published 12 books, provided the commentary text to accompany the photographs which feature on the stamps.
Dot Tilbury, General Manager of Isle of Man Stamps & Coins said: "We are grateful for the uniquely qualified contribution of Sir Ranulph Fiennes and to the Scott Polar Research Institute for permission to feature the extraordinary photographs of Herbert Ponting which, in Sir Ranulph's words, powerfully serve 'to remind us all of the stark reality of the conditions faced by Scott and his men, the very first human beings to penetrate and learn about Antarctica on behalf of the whole of mankind."
Talking about the stamp issue Sir Ranulph Fiennes said: "I am very pleased to be associated with this Isle of Man Post Office stamp issue dedicated to Captain Scott's South Pole Expedition and the wonderful photography of Herbert Ponting. Ten years ago Scott's reputation was not as it should be so I decided to set the record straight by writing a biography. I am delighted that my book is now followed by this stamp issue in this centenary year."
At the beginning of December, Sir Ranulph will embark on a six-month expedition 'The Coldest Journey on Earth' in which he and five colleagues will attempt to cross Antarctica in winter with the aim of raising $10 million for the charity Seeing Is Believing.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:09 Sir Ranulph Fiennes: 7 Marathons in 7 days in 7 Continentsby DriveStartTVFeatured 1,656
- 1:05:17 Sir Ranulph Fiennes speaks at Explore Liveby ExploreAdventure 1,954 views
- 2:00 Coronation of HM Queen by Isle of Man Post Officeby IOMstampsandcoins No views
- 2:54 Isle of Man Constabulary to feature on stampsby IOMstampsandcoins 14 views
- 31:35 Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station Antarctica Tourby Jeffrey Donenfeld 8,735 views
- 1:21 Chinese New Year of the Snake celebrated by Isle of Man Post Officeby IOMstampsandcoins 11 views
- 23:01 Going Beyond - Sir Ranulph Fiennes - Zeitgeist 2012by zeitgeistminds 8,823 views
- 6:32 Sir Ranulph Fiennesby sabcdigitalnews 544 views
- 13:23 Sir Ranulph Fiennes on Remote Trauma's training for The Coldest Journey [FULL VERSION]by RemoteTrauma 866 views
- 3:28 Mt Everest Southeast ridge climbing route in 3Dby Grant Rawlinson 2,577 views
- 43:30 Die dunkle Seite der Alpen - Die Eiger Nordwand - Teil 1by Doku Heini 19,217 views
- 11:25 Steeven et Christopher  Rixe au sommet de l'Everest - ONDARby ondarprime 9,209 views
- 8:55 Por el Planeta 17 Días en el fin del mundo Parte 1 Antartida Imagenes Espectaculares Alberto Tinocoby zumpangolandia2010 1,496 views
- 4:26 Modern Craftsmanship - Max Lamb & Alfred Dunhillby alfreddunhill 17,150 views
- 3:26 Kenton Cool on Sir Ranulph Fiennesby everestchallenge 10,330 views
- 3:28 Isle of Man Stamps & Coins - Christmas Programmeby IOMstampsandcoins 2 views
- 1:44 City Lit asks Sir Ranulph Fiennes: "What makes you scared?"by CityLit1 127 views
- 3:03 'For The Love' by Alfred Dunhill | Trailerby alfreddunhill 61,640 views
- 2:26 The Alfred Dunhill Custom Shirtby alfreddunhill 12,192 views
- 1:56 Isle of Man Stamps & Coins - Mark Cavendish - The Manx Missile Collectionby IOMstampsandcoins 5 views
- Loading more suggestions...