People With Tickets Denied Entry at Mitt Romney Event in Philadelphia
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 17, 2012
Mitt Romney rebuts Democrats' claims about his tax plan
BETHEL PARK, Pa. (AP) — Mitt Romney sought to inoculate himself Tuesday against Democratic charges that he favors the rich, saying his as yet-to-be disclosed tax plans will not benefit the well-to-do at the expense of others.
"I'm going to keep the burden on the upper-income people the same as it is today," the Republican presidential nominee-in-waiting said as he campaigned across Pennsylvania on Tax Day. "I know Democrats will say it day in and day out, 'They are for tax cuts for the rich,' he said, mimicking his rivals. "No,'" he added firmly.
By contrast, Romney said Obama wants to raise taxes, a step the Republican said would hamper job creation. Unlike Romney and most Republicans, the president wants to allow existing Bush-era tax cuts to expire at the end of the year for those at upper incomes.
As he sought to parry the inevitable Democratic accusations, Romney also tackled a second, if unspoken concern, a perception that he has difficulty establishing rapport with middle-class voters. To that end, his campaign arranged an outdoor event in a Pittsburgh suburb at which the wealthy former businessman-turned-politician and eight area residents sat amicably around a picnic table and talked about economic issues.
There was one fleeting moment of awkwardness, when Romney guessed that a plate of cookies set out on the table were from "a local 7-Eleven bakery or whatever," instead of a local firm, Bethel Bakery.
But Jason Thomas, one of the participants, later told reporters: "I thought he was likable person ... I will personally go on record and say he doesn't seem out of touch. He was asking us what our concerns were and we tried our best to represent our concerns, the concerns for our children, and a lot of our friends and family as well."
Freed of the last vestiges of a challenge for the Republican presidential nomination, Romney is now able to campaign around the country as the nominee of his party with only passing concern for upcoming primary states.
His itinerary this week runs from Pennsylvania, one of several primary states on April 24, to Arizona, where he will speak to a nationwide gathering of Republican officials. Along the way he has stops in North Carolina, to deliver a "prebuttal" to Obama's Democratic National Convention acceptance speech, and Ohio, a perennial battleground in presidential elections.
In yet another indication that the party is leaving the nomination campaign behind, Romney drew endorsements during the day from the two top Republican leaders in Congress, House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio, and Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the minority leader.
Romney so far has provided only a few details of the ambitious program of tax reform he says he will propose if he wins the White House.
He favors extending all the Bush-era tax cuts that are set to expire at the end of the year, and has said he wants to cut rates an additional 20 percent across the board.
"Ron Paul" "Mitt Romney" "President Obama" "Ann Coulter" "Rick Santorum" "general election" "2012 election" "Barack Obama" Republicans independents conservatives "fake conservatives" "Newt Gingrich" "Doug Wead" "Matt Taibbi"
Standard YouTube License
- 14:06 Ron Paul Destroys MSNBC's Alex Wagner On Syriaby djgabrielpresents87,313 views
- 26:03 How Ron Paul Was Cheated Out Of Presidencyby ThinkOutsideTheTV160,602 views
- 6:21 2013 - Ron Paul Exposes Obama Martial Law Plans!!!by Top10GamingOfficial384,513 views
- 6:13 Mitt Romney Tells The Obamas To Start Packingby jeremylinvideo1,941 views
- 9:32 Ron Paul: Obamacare 'A Conspiracy Of Stupidity'by selfownership116,816 views
- 5:50 Ron Paul Finally Shuts Bill oReilly up Someone had to do itby Bashananal803,350 views
- 42:33 Michelle Obama In West Philadelphia August 2012 Pt. 2by limitedlimelite651 views
- 24:11 Mitt Romney's Speech at Franklin Hall Philadelphia, PA, 4 16 12by SaveJerseyBlog830 views
- 9:18 Mocked and Loaded - Mitt Romney Utters Big Lies To The Gun-Crazy NRAby jeremylinvideo1,133 views
- 5:12 Obama Rips Romney in Final Debate - The Best Linesby The Young Turks206,508 views
- 55:12 Conversations With History - Michael Scheuerby UCBerkeleyEvents68,370 views
- 12:36 Keiser Report [E311] - Fraud & 60 Orgasmsby ZyPhReX217 views
- 4:33 Nelson Mandela Death: Obama Remembers 'Profoundly Good' Manby The New York Times15,424 views
- 15:00 Democrats War on Womenby vonveezil2364 views
- 40:56 An All Out Offensive Against liberty & Freedom Hits Final Stageby TheAlexJonesChannel29,756 views
- 10:00 Ron Paul in Phillyby ruscle27841,811 views
- 30:01 Michelle Obama In West Philadelphia August 2012 Intro Pt. 1by limitedlimelite1,233 views
- 12:14 Ron Paul's Greatest Debate Performance Ever (10-18-2011)by KramerDSP575,157 views
- 7:54 Rachel Maddow Show: Matt Taibbi on the Bush Legacyby heathr45610,776 views
- 4:31 President Obama Mourns the Death of Nelson Mandelaby WSJDigitalNetwork33,240 views
- Loading more suggestions...