TEDxBloomington -- Jeff Nelsen -- "Fearless Performance"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 1, 2011
World-renowned horn player, educator, and fearless performance coach Jeff Nelsen has an obvious and contagious passion for dynamic engagements. Jeff's pig-farming, opera-singing parents provided him with a wide palate of career choices and a diverse background from which to tell his story.
Jeff came to his fearless performance concepts honestly. He has been the solo hornist of the world's most famous brass group, Canadian Brass, as well as a member of the Montreal and Vancouver Symphonies. He has performed as a soloist on five continents, on Broadway, and has toured with Barry Manilow and Michael Bolton. Jeff has performed in the horn sections of the New York Philharmonic, Boston, National, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis Symphonies, and on numerous film soundtracks.
Prior to joining the faculty of the prestigious Indiana University Jacobs School of Music where is he is now full professor, Jeff was on faculty at the Universities of Toronto, British Columbia, Victoria, and McGill in Montreal. Sought after as an inspirational and innovative educator, Professor Nelsen has taught at multiple summer music festivals internationally, and has been invited to guest lecture to Bands of America, National Youth Orchestra of Canada, and the International and British Horn Societies. He has also presented at IdeaCity, Toronto and to the Young Presidents Organization.
In his talk at TEDxBloomington, Jeff freely admits that the sheer terror of upcoming solo moments has never stopped lurking in his mind. Surrendering to this fact, Jeff decides to give his best in performance anyway, regardless of the potentially scary influences surrounding him. Jeff has become an expert in teaching people how to perform their best by replacing fear with focus on better things. Today's society is full of messages that perpetuate fear, and Jeff's witty and wise approach offers a refreshing alternative.
About TEDx In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TED has created a program called TEDx. TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. Our event is called TEDxBloomington, where x = independently organized TED event. At our TEDxBloomington event, TEDTalks video and live speakers will combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events, including ours, are self-organized.
Standard YouTube License
- 18:31 Music as a Language: Victor Wooten at TEDxGabriolaIslandby TEDxTalks60,572 views
- 15:19 TEDxVictoria - Dr. Sean Richardson - Mental Toughness: Think Differently about your Worldby TEDxTalks63,882 views
- 20:33 TEDxMaui - Dr. Jacob Liberman - Stop Looking, Start Seeingby TEDxTalks19,260 views
- 15:55 Music and the Brain: Jessica Grahn at TEDxWesternUby TEDxTalks23,292 views
- 17:57 Turning Fear Into Fuel: Jonathan Fields at TEDxCMU 2010by TEDxTalks191,053 views
- 13:21 The Skill of Self Confidence: Dr. Ivan Joseph at TEDxRyersonUby TEDxTalks726,643 views
- 18:42 TEDxPortsmouth - Dr. Alan Watkins - Being Brilliant Every Single Day (Part 1)by TEDxTalks263,982 views
- 17:44 Unlocking Music with Neuroscience: Ardon Shorr at TEDxCMU 2012by TEDxTalks18,637 views
- 13:55 TEDxBloomington -- Stephen Volan -- "Approaching Autism Theatrically"by TEDxTalks11,394 views
- 13:16 TEDxSydney - Richard Gill - The Value of Music Educationby TEDxTalks36,242 views
- 5:20 TEDxBloomington -- Jessica Quirk -- "Look Good, Feel Good: The Case for Playing Dress Up"by TEDxTalks15,293 views
- 16:22 Women and empathy -- trouble on the home front: Sheila Norgate at TEDxGabriolaIslandby TEDxTalks6,946 views
- 11:39 Beatbox Brilliance: Tom Thum at TEDxSydneyby TEDxTalks8,897,661 views
- 19:57 TEDxBloomington -- Marc and Sara Schiller -- "Gaming The Streets: Uncommissioned Art"by TEDxTalks9,776 views
- 21:27 TEDxSaintGeorgesSchool - Lisa Bliss - No Failure in Tryingby TEDxTalks5,949 views
- 19:24 The thinkable: be the best box you can be: Bruce Heavin at TEDxAmericanRivieraby TEDxTalks2,277 views
- 12:20 The erosion of empathy: Simon Baron Cohen at TEDxHousesofParliamentby TEDxTalks20,810 views
- 18:11 Forget what you know: Jacob Barnett at TEDxTeenby TEDxTalks2,324,688 views
- 12:02 Sport Psychology - Inside the Mind of Champion Athletes: Martin Hagger at TEDxPerthby TEDxTalks37,891 views