This video is unavailable.
End Fossil Fuel Subsidies Flash Mob at Rio+20
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 27, 2012
RIO DE JANEIRO -- Over 100 demonstrators calling for an end to fossil fuel subsidies joined a "flash mob" at the Riocentro in the heart of the Rio+20 Earth Summit this afternoon.
"We need to send a strong message to world leaders gathered in Rio: Fossil fuel subsidies drive climate change, drain public resources, and make it virtually impossible for clean energy sources to compete in the market," said Franklin Russell, director of Earth Day at Earth Day Network and one of the lead organizers of the demonstration. "If we're going to jumpstart the green economy and chart a course to a sustainable future -- the professed goals of the Rio+20 conference -- these polluter subsidies must end."
Civil society is calling on Rio+20 leaders to deliver a new plan to save the planet by shifting nearly $1 trillion spent each year on fossil fuel subsidies to renewable energy and sustainable development. Nearly one million people have signed a petition to world leaders calling for action and tens of thousands joined a "Twitterstorm" on Monday to flood the internet with a call to #endfossilfuelsubsidies.
"It is time to stop the endless flow of money to the industries at the core of global pollution and climate change and responsible for so much human suffering," said Tara DePorte, executive director and founder of the Human Impacts Institute. "Ending fossil fuel subsidies is a first step toward true commitment to a sustainable future and is a necessary outcome of Rio+20."
Hundreds of civil society members join the call for leaders to end support for big oil at Rio+20!
The flash-mob-style demonstration in Riocentro, the convention center where the conference is being held, began around 1:30 p.m. BRT, the middle of the lunch hour for negotiators. The Human Impacts Institute's Executive Director, Tara DePorte, launched the action by standing up, donning an "End Fossil Fuel Subsidies" shirt and sign, and began to chant, "The future I want? No fossil fuel subsidies!" One by one, over 100 people stood up in the crowd, revealed their own shirts and signs, and joined in the chant. The demonstrators then observed 20 seconds of silence before dispersing.
The demonstration was organized by the Human Impacts Institute, Earth Day Network, 350.org, and several youth groups attending the Rio+20 talks.
"Ending fossil fuel subsidies has emerged as the loudest and clearest demand from civil society during this summit," said Jamie Henn, communications director for 350.org, an international climate campaign leading the #EndFossilFuelSubsidies Twitterstorm. "If world leaders want Rio+20 to be a success, they must answer the call from millions of people around the world."
More information on the Twitterstorm and petition to end fossil fuel subsidies at:
Earth Day Network mobilizes over one billion people in 192 countries through year-round advocacy, education, public policy and consumer campaigns to protect the environment. www.earthday.org
The Human Impacts Institute's mission is to foster sustainable human impacts on ecosystems through inspired engagement, leadership, collaboration, knowledge-building and creative expression.
350.org is building a global grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis. 350.org's online campaigns, grassroots organizing, and mass public actions are led from the bottom up by thousands of volunteer organizers in over 188 countries. 350.org is named after the safe upper limit of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, 350 parts per million (the world is now at 392 ppm).
Footage provided by Earth Day Network.
Standard YouTube License
- 47:02 The Twin Sides of the Fossil Fuel Coin - Guy McPhersonby greenfieldcc 14,132 views
- 10:07 Intervención Presidente Mujica en Río+20by edicioness21 1,023,319 views
- 8:24 President Obama Speaks on Repealing the Subsidies for Oil Companies.mp4by Steven Melancon 142 views
- 1:11 Reed Seeks $21 Billion in Deficit Reduction by Eliminating Taxpayer Subsidies for Big Oilby SenatorReed 167 views
- 4:08 Why we should not subsidize LPG - 08 Jun 2012 on Thai PBSby Bundit Kertbundit 605 views
- 0:31 Exxon Hates Your Childrenby solartomcotter 1,579 views
- 19:00 Matt Ridley on How Fossil Fuels are Greening the Planetby ReasonTV 51,142 views
- 8:11 AUC Earth Week 2012 Flash Mobby Mahmoud Hassan 505 views
- 0:19 Cientistas descobrem fóssil de 1 400 anos apelidado de mulher vacaby r7tubehd 312 views
- 3:47 UN world climate change meeting in Dohaby Paul Kangas 55 views
- 34:53 There's No Tomorrow - Animated Full Length Documentary, Longby SurvivalWithBushcraf 7,102 views
- 2:55 Senator Inhofe: White House "lied" - goal is to kill fossil fuels in Americaby usACTIONnews 418 views
- 9:38 Combustibles fósiles y calentamiento globalby euyinTube 30,693 views
- 8:11 WestJet Christmas Flashmob 2012 (Full Version)by Jayden Van 22,165 views
- 3:32 McCaskill: Eliminate Big Oil's Allowanceby SenatorMcCaskill 80 views
- 4:07 Let's take care of the Planet 2012 Flash Mobby Vanillesahne8 558 views
- 4:02 PSY - GANGNAM STYLE | Gangnam flash mob - Poland (Gdansk)by mikpolo7777777 30,590 views
- 4:51 ENO flash mobby Tom Lin 1,251 views
- 6:30 Rio+20by minambientegov 13,749 views
- 2:39:07 Drilling for Answers: Oil Company Profits, Runaway Prices and the Pursuit of Alternativesby HouseResourceOrg 6,334 views
- Loading more suggestions...