Kurgo's Enhanced Strength Tru-Fit Smart Harness
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 19, 2012
The Enhanced Strength Tru-Fit Smart Harness with steel Nesting Buckles has been tested in three ways. It has been tensile strength tested, dynamically tested using a static line test and finally crash tested using a sled test. The harness is designed as a safety harness, not a converted walking harness. The design, construction and testing provide the best protection while riding, turning, and stopping and in extreme situations.
The videos below depict a 35lb dog traveling at 30 miles per hour, recorded at an accredited University test facility. The unrestrained black and white dog is for comparison purposes, these are toy dogs weighted for the test - no animals were used in this video. The top video shows the force from the side angle while the bottom video shows the aerial view. Double click to replay the videos.
Kurgo's Perspective on Traveling Safely with Your Dog
Kurgo's first pet product was the Back Seat Barrier, which was created by Kitter Spater to keep his Plott hound Zelda from distracting him by coming into the front seat of the car. Since the launch of the Back Seat Barrier, Kitter, one of the owners of the company and its head designer, has endeavored to find a range of ways to make it easy and safe for dogs and their owners to travel together.
The focus of this product development effort has been on the 84% of dog owners who currently do not restrain their dogs while driving. We want to provide simple-to-use solutions that will minimize the distraction a dog can cause in the car. It is our opinion that the most important safety component in a vehicle is the active, focused driver; in many cases, avoiding distraction means avoiding an accident.
Concurrently, Kitter and the Kurgo team have been working to develop products for the 16% of dog owners who are already restraining their dog, as well as anyone who makes frequent car trips with their dog and wants extra protection in the event of an accident. These products are designed not only to minimize driver distraction, but also to help protect drivers, passengers, and dogs from injury in the event of a crash. There is no industry or government standard for testing the safety of pet restraints in vehicles, so we looked to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard for child restraint systems (FMVSS 213) and determined that we would also use 30 miles per hour as our testing standard. Over a period of years, Kurgo has worked to develop and test its Enhanced Strength line of products, which can withstand crashes of up to 30 MPH.
As a result of these years of research and design, we are now pleased to offer our customers two categories of products based on their individual needs:
Our standard line of products is made with extremely high-quality materials and designed for ease of use. These products help drivers avoid the distraction a moving dog can cause in a vehicle. With the growing application of distracted driving laws to people driving with dogs in the car, these products can help dog owners ensure they are in compliance with their state's laws. Our standard line includes items such as the Back Seat Barrier, the Tru-Fit Smart Harness with plastic Quick Release Buckles, the Auto Zip Line and the Wander Hammock.
Our Enhanced Strength line of products takes safety to the next level. Like the items in our standard line, these products avoid driver distraction, but they have additionally been subjected to a range of tests to ensure that dogs do not become projectiles in a car accident, including dynamic testing for up to a 55-lb. dog in a 30 MPH crash. The keystone of this line is our Enhanced Strength Tru-Fit Smart Harness with innovative Nesting Buckles. The all-steel Nesting Buckle system is based on the time-tested harnesses of rock climbers and linesmen. It takes a minute or two at the outset to learn to fasten these buckles, but once you've learned they are very easy to use, and they provide additional strength in the event of a collision. For the consumer who wants a crash-tested harness, this is the one to get. When the Skybox Booster Seat or the K9 Courier Bag are used together with the Enhanced Strength Tru-Fit Smart Harness, these products also meet our crash-test standards and thus can be used as part of the Enhanced Strength line. For videos of the Enhanced Strength Tru-Fit Smart Harness being crash tested, as well as detailed documentation of this and another test, please see the product page.
Kurgo's mission is to encourage people and their dogs to get out and enjoy the world together. With our standard and Enhanced Strength lines, dog owners can choose the products that best meet their needs, making this simple pleasure easy and safe.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:35 Tutorial: Paracord Dog Collarby Pugdemonium Featured 49,898
- 8:40 Yellow Lab Rescued From Submerged Car Trapped For 60 Minutesby Matthew Washam11,656 views
- 8:08 Cesar Millan - Alan Titchmarsh Showby djdoodledog10,171 views
- 4:19 Safety Tips For Dogs In Cars - Using Dog Seat Belts Car Harnessby Clint Cora4,650 views
- 2:55 Canine Friendly Crash-Tested In-Vehicle Safety Harnessby RCpetproducts8,214 views
- 2:35 Booster Seats Put to the Testby WPRI4,812 views
- 7:02 Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness: First Impressionsby HikingBengal2,094 views
- 3:11 Mike presents the Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness in the Carby Kurgo Products5,084 views
- 33 videos Play all titby kokosincjernej
- 1:36 Ruff Rider® Roadie® Pet Travel Restraint Crash Test Resultsby Ruff Rider Roadie1,463 views
- 9:06 How To: 4 Wire LS Wiring Harness Conversion, Part 2by restomodsak54,433 views
- 3:29 How to make a leather dog collar by Cerberus Designs Artisanby CerberusDesigns17,138 views
- 2:35 Champion K9 dog seatbeltby Veronica Morris3,516 views
- 2:21 How to Hot-Wire a Carby Howcast1,670,924 views
- 0:23 Sleepypod Crash Test Success - Clickit Utility Dog Safety Harnessby Sleepypod5,276 views
- 3:56 Dog Seat Belts & Car Restraints: Vet Chat | DrsFosterSmith.comby drsfostersmith5,061 views
- 13:14 Train your dog - Stop Pulling On Leashby b1gdogk911446,690 views
- 5:02 Unbelievable Mysteries Solved: Lost Dog Discovered Over 700 Miles Away - Lost and Found - OWNby OWN TV59,866 views
- 6:00 Pet toys A must have small dog car seat!!! Also has a harness from Snoozer Pet Productsby cute pet gazette1,118 views
- 2:56 Mike presents the Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harnessby Kurgo Products2,308 views