6-Year-old Little Leaguer Turns Unassisted Triple Play (Official) [HD]
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 10, 2012
Six-year-old player turns rare play
A youngster in Georgia pulls off a feat that's only been achieved 15 times in major league history.
Move over MLB, 6-year-old Little Leaguer turns unassisted triple play...
Only 15 players in Major League Baseball history have ever turned an unassisted triple play (with one coming in the World Series, in 1920 by Cleveland Indians second baseman Bill Wambsganss), where they have unilaterally been responsible for recording all three outs of a half inning by themselves on a single play.
Now those 15 baseball statistical icons have been joined by a 6-year-old. Really.
The video you see above -- which was brought to Prep Rally's attention by Deadspin and originally circulated on Reddit -- comes from a youth baseball game in Georgia, where the league's Dodgers and Braves teams in the first-grade division were facing off. With a Dodgers player at-bat, a pop-up floated directly to shortstop Ross Bernath, who nabbed it cleanly, raced back to touch third base and then chased down the advancing runner from second, all without enlisting the help of a single teammate.
And just think: He had to pull off those feats even quicker than they do in the bigs since he was playing on a diamond with basepaths significantly closer to each other.
Of course, those teammates hardly seemed to register what was going on. In fact, Bernath himself seemed to be confused about everything that was going on. For a guy who had just achieved a feat which is practically the unicorn or blue bear of baseball statistics, he had an awfully puzzled look on his face.
Then again, it's not every day that anyone, at any level, pulls off an unassisted triple play. Maybe Bernath just forgot there were only three outs in a half inning, or he lost track of how many outs he earned on the play.
No matter what the reason, thanks to YouTube, this youngster will never get to forget the day that he turned a triple play by himself. Bernath may never land another one-man triple play again, but that only makes his achievement -- and the adorable puzzlement it left the entire field of players in -- even more special.
Standard YouTube License
- 17:48 LLWS 2012 - Canada vs. Mexicoby Smeaton Plymouth Featured 96,429
- 3:59:30 Red Sox win third World Series since 2004by MLBGlobal1319,763 views
- 1:57:09 PARA LOS QUE AMAMOS EL BASEBALL, PELICULA "JUEGO PERFECTO"by Internetcultura306,188 views
- 40:44 Play Ball Little League! Aprende Béisbol - Bateoby Argenis Lugo42,715 views
- 51:08 LLWS 2012 - The Far Sideby Smeaton Plymouth177,494 views
- 15:28 MLB top playsby mastermachiine1,269,671 views
- 2:43:52 2001 World Series, Game 7: Yankees @ Diamondbacksby MLBClassics111,370 views
- 5:14:41 THE 107TH WORLD SERIES, GAME 6 - October 27, 2011by MLBGlobal11152,441 views
- 84 videos Play all dayumby amml417
- 24:03 Common Hitting Flaws & Drillsby skillviewtv633,168 views
- 4:21:29 WORLD SERIES GAME 6 - YANKEES WIN SERIES, 4-2 - November 04, 2009by MLBGlobal09212,922 views
- 15:01 LLWS 2012 - Petaluma-Tennessee US Championship Gameby Smeaton Plymouth89,922 views
- 1:22:46 New York Yankees 2009 World Series Champions - FULL MOVIEby Germuny122,533 views
- 15:59 LLWS 2012 - Petaluma, CA Westby Smeaton Plymouth87,698 views
- 10:55 12-Year-Old EXCEPTIONAL BASEBALL PLAYER - Ranko Stby hilandarYT54,583 views
- 8:34 Kirk Gibson's game winning home run" Whole AT Bat "1988 World Seriesby Jilcobames168,822 views
- 21:45 LLWS 2012 - Web Gemsby Smeaton Plymouth196,831 views
- 4:52 Compilation of the best baseball brawlsby baseballguy191882,718 views
- 5:26 The Amazin 3 Year Old Baseball prodigyby joseale6540,465 views
- 10:28 BEST TRIPLE PLAYS IN MLB HISTORYby Legendofthecentury35,485 views