Larry Flynt vs Jerry Falwell funny deposition footage from 06-15-1984
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 21, 2009
Considered one of the biggest and at the very least, best recognized modern-day crusaders of free speech and First Amendment rights, Larry Flynt is a character beyond description as you'll see from this court deposition taken from Federal prison prior to his first trial versus Falwell where he was already serving a 6 month sentence for desecration of the flag (wearing a diaper made out of the American flag).
During the deposition, you'll hear Flynt mention "the Captain" numerous times - who he is referring to is Captain Joe Sivley from the Bureau of Prisons where he was being housed.
You'll get a good idea of just what a handful Larry Flynt can be (when he's not amusing himself) as he goes toe to toe with the opposition in a judicial setting. It's quite entertaining to say the least...
Fundamentalist Protestant minister Jerry Falwell took offense at a satirical magazine advertisement inside of Flynt owned Hustler magazine printed in 1983 which happened to target him. In a parody of a magazine ad for a popular alcoholic drink at the time (Campari) in which Hustler described a drunk Falwell having an incestuous encounter with his mother in an outhouse.
The Hustler parody featured a picture of Falwell and an "interview" in which Falwell describes his first sexual experience "with Mom" in an outhouse while both were "drunk off our God-fearing asses on Campari". The ad went on to say that Falwell was drunk and that "Mom looked better than a Baptist whore with a $100 donation". It went on to say that Falwell decided to have sex with his mother since she had "showed all the other guys in town such a good time". And finally, when asked if he had tried Campari since, Falwell answered, "I always get sloshed before I go out to the pulpit. You don't think I could lay down all that bullshit sober, do you?"
Even though the ad carried a disclaimer which mentioned that it was an "ad parody and not to be taken seriously", Falwell sued Flynt and Hustler magazine for invasion of privacy, libel, and intentional infliction of emotional distress, and a jury found in favor of Flynt on the libel claim, but found in favor of Falwell on the intentional infliction of emotional distress charge, and awarded Falwell $150,000 in damages.
As you can imagine, Flynt appealed the decision but the Fourth Circuit Court later affirmed it. And after it declined to rehear the case, the U.S. Supreme Court granted Flynt's request to hear the case.
Finally in 1988, the United States Supreme Court held, in a unanimous 8-0 decision (Justice Kennedy took no part in the decision), held that the First Amendment's free-speech guarantee prohibits awarding damages to public figures to compensate for emotional distress intentionally inflicted upon them. As a result, Hustler magazine's parody of Jerry Falwell was deemed to be within the law, leading to a reversal of the jury verdict in favor of Falwell, who had previously been awarded $150,000 in damages by a lower court.
Standard YouTube License
- 5:44 Best Marijuana Argument Ever: Given By Superior Court Judge James P. Grayby HorseofPaulRevereFeatured 1,022,575
- 1:23:24 1997 Larry Flynt & Jerry Falwell Debateby TJCenterOrg 11,163 views
- 5:22 Christopher Hitchens on Jerry Falwellby tylerthepirate 269,478 views
- 3:07 Prosecutor Makes Threats to a Judge?by USJusticeWatch 379,493 views
- 2:59 Crazy Funny and Ridiculous Depositionsby NationalCrtReporters 17,128 views
- 1:51 How not to appear in courtby WillyBCoyote 1,108,882 views
- 19 videos Play all Cindy Anthony Depositionby veilanna
- 4:11 Bill Maher's Touching Tribute to Jerry Falwellby Eddie Mcclanahan 82,360 views
- 9:45 Christopher Hitchens on Hannity & Colmes about Rev. Falwell's Deathby Berkeley Man 1,510,771 views
- 3:16 Any guess what her answer will be? -- Deposition Video -- Doyle Raizner LLPby Doyle Raizner 20,832 views
- 10:24 Cindy Anthony Deposition Part 1by veilanna 71,255 views
- 7:04 Aileen Wuornos gone insaneby AileenWuornos 4,308,509 views
- 4:33 Larry Flynt Tribute Videoby dekemasters 15,274 views
- 7:07 Larry Flynt on Jerry Falwell (Larry King 05/16/07) Part 1by Mudesi 111,642 views
- 7:03 Christopher Hitchens on Rev. Jerry Falwell's deathby Berkeley Man 365,857 views
- 3:05 Burt Neuborne In The People v. Larry Flyntby Eliezer Graber 1,099 views
- 9:26 Michael Savage Interviews Rev. Jerry Falwellby martysoffice 11,513 views
- 0:34 Man slapped with 120-year sentence after courtroom outburst, tauntingby FallahukNews 1,288,553 views
- 6:08 Dr. Marc Lamont Hill on Jerry Falwell on O'Reillyby Robert Barrimond 13,588 views
- 5:27 Lil Wayne Not Giving AF At His Depositionby ALLYMCMB 1,243,870 views
- 2:25 Jerry Falwell claim 9/11 was caused by gaysby rob brown 54,003 views
- Loading more suggestions...