Patrick watson and esmerine - Snow day for Lhasa
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 23, 2011
A song by Patrick watson and esmerine to remember the death of mexican/american singer Lhasa who collaborated with patrick watson on his song : Wooden arms, this song is not meant to be stolen copyright; it is meant to share this beautiful piece of music.
From Lhasa's wikipedia page :
Lhasa de Sela (September 27, 1972 -- January 1, 2010), also known by the mononym Lhasa, was an American-born singer-songwriter who was raised in Mexico and the United States and divided her adult life between Canada and France.
Lhasa was born in Big Indian, New York, of a Mexican father, Spanish instructor Alex Sela, and a Lebanese-Jewish-American mother, photographer and actress Alexandra Karam. Her first decade was spent criss-crossing the United States and Mexico in a converted school bus with her parents and siblings, home-schooled by her mother.
She started singing in a Greek cafe in San Francisco when she was thirteen. Aged 19, she moved to Montreal, and sang for five years in bars, where she developed the material that eventually became her first album, La Llorona, released in 1997. La Llorona, which mixes traditional Latin American songs with original songs, was strongly influenced by Mexican music, but also Klezmer music, Eastern European gypsy music, Middle-Eastern music and alternative rock. The album was released by the Canadian independent record label, Audiogram, in Montreal, and brought her much success, including the Quebec Félix Award in Canada for "Artiste québécois — musique du monde" in 1997 and a Canadian Juno Award for Best Global Artist in 1998.
After touring in Europe and North America for several years, Lhasa left her singing career in 1999 and moved to France to join her sisters in Pocheros, a circus/theatre company. She eventually reached Marseille, where she started writing songs again. She then returned to Montreal to produce her second album, The Living Road, which was released in 2003. While La Llorona had been entirely in Spanish, The Living Road included songs in English, French and Spanish.
A two year tour followed the release of The Living Road, taking her and her group to seventeen countries. She was a guest singer on the Tindersticks' track "Sometimes It Hurts" off their Waiting for the Moon album, and later joined Tindersticks' singer Stuart Staples for a duet on the track "That Leaving Feeling", found on his Leaving Songs album. She also appeared as a guest on the albums of French singers Arthur H and Jérôme Minière, and the French gypsy music group Bratsch. She received the BBC World Music Award for Best Artist of the Americas in 2005. The accumulated worldwide sales of her two albums are nearing one million.
De Sela's third album Lhasa was released in April 2009 in Canada and Europe, and the next month in the U.S. She could also be heard on the title track of Patrick Watson's album Wooden Arms.
Following a 21-month-long battle with breast cancer, Lhasa died, age 37, on the evening of January 1, 2010, at her home in Montreal. On January 16, Jim Corcoran devoted an episode of his CBC Radio One program À Propos, a weekly show about Quebec music, to a Lhasa tribute show.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Snow Day For Lhasa" on
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Patrick watson and esmerine - Snow day for Lhasa
- 1:44:15 Patrick Watson | NPR MUSIC LIVEby NPR Music62,557 views
- 30:56 PATRICK WATSON & THE WOODEN ARMS - A Take Away Show #97by SongForMy100638 views
- 14:47 Patrick Watson - Up On The Roof (Part 1)by Domino Recording Co.19,295 views
- 1:40:23 Patrick Watson meets Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra [HD]by avroklassiek52,810 views
- 11:14 Esmerine "Spiegel im Spiegel" (Arvo Pärt) -- For Lhasa's Birthdayby cstrecords14,440 views
- 5:31 Patrick Watson - Where The Wild Things Are (Live at The Concert Hall, Masonic Temple) (7/9)by Patrick1WatsonDOTnet14,949 views
- 3:22 Patrick Watson + Lhasa de Sela - Wooden Arms (Festival du Jazz Montréal) 4/16by Patrick1WatsonDOTnet15,046 views
- 64 videos Play all Amazing Patrick Watsonby millasalakka
- 5:18 Esmerine - Why she swallows bullets and stonesby eightyeightdays65,308 views
- 4:04 Karkwa - Red Light (iTunes Session)by p0ptimist4,205 views
- 11:11 Patrick Watson at WNYC for NPR Musicby NPR Music94,358 views
- 7:46 Patrick Watson - Adventures In Your Own Backyard - lighthouse - VIDEOby Stephanie Morin-Robert14,447 views
- 3:31 Desdeñosaby Ricardo Aguilar1,515 views
- 6:51 Lhasa de Sela - Pa'Llegar a tu Ladoby MaitreMenator816,219 views
- 4:30 Patrick Watson - Driftersby secretcityrecords660,601 views
- 7:22 Patrick Watson - Shameby Andre Bendahan8,038 views
- 8:04 Esmerine "Sprouts" (LIVE)by cstrecords15,531 views
- 6:51 The Barr Brothers - Cloud (For Lhasa)by thewildhoneypie15,503 views
- 3:05 Esmerine - Au Crépuscule, Sans Laisseby OrangeGrey754,091 views
- 3:45 Patrick Watson at the 2007 Junosby osirois21,159 views