This video is unavailable.
Tell me where's your heart: remembering Cpl. Andrew Wilfahrt
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 30, 2011
On this Memorial Day, I'm remembering those who defended my country, and those who died for it.
One story that's moved me this spring strikes at the core of what it means to be an American, to love this country, to honor its values: the death of Cpl. Andrew Wilfahrt and his family's standing up for equality for all people. Andrew Wilfahrt was a gay man; this was the least interesting thing about him. What those who served with him remember is a soldier who was there for his fellow soldiers.
Wilfahrt's life and death became an emblem of equality in in recent debates over a bill to amend the Minnesota constitution to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman. Those opposing the bill--and now the amendment--have risen to rare eloquence, none more than that of a Republican freshman legislator who lost the lower part of his legs in Iraq when an IED exploded.
In this video, John Kriesel points toward protesters chanting during this statement, saying that that America was the one he had fought for. I'd like to believe that this is where Andrew's heart is, in the America that includes everyone, but there are others, equally American, who believe otherwise. This is their right; some may even object to the posting of this video on Memorial Day.
My beloved state now faces a debate and a fight over fundamentals: who we are, what we love, how a society will recognize that love, and what love will matter. This Memorial Day, I'm siding with the Wilfahrt family and Representative John Kriesel, a straight, married, conservative man, in saying Yes to a society which respects love, and on Election Day in November 2012, saying "Hell No!" to those who would deny equality for Andrew and everyone. I'd prefer that no one's fundamental rights and dignity be put up for a vote, but since vote I must, it's "Hell No."
Thank you, John Kriesel. Thank you, Jeff and Lori Wilfahrt. And thank you, Andrew Wilfahrt.
For more information about Andrew Wilfahrt's service, watch this Youtube from the Courage Campaign:
Standard YouTube License
- 4:10 Andrew Sullivan: It Gets Better—But Not Through Politicsby Big ThinkFeatured 10,014
- 12:50 Rachel Maddow On Minnesota's Anti-Gay Marriage Constitutional Amendmentby SuchIsLifeVideos 33,589 views
- 5:57 Rep. Kriesel's Full Speech On Gay Marriage, Bucking The GOPby UpTakeVideo 90,641 views
- 4:51 A tribute to Cpl. Andrew Wilfahrt, a gay servicememberby CourageCampaign 52,275 views
- 2:52 Twin Cities HRC Andrew Wilfahrt Tributeby tchrcsc 733 views
- 2:46 Gay Soldier's Parents Fight Minnesota's Marriage Banby SuchIsLifeVideos 11,214 views
- 100 videos Play all Youtubeby mrowks
- 7:07 War On Gays Not Why We Fight Wars Says GOP Iraq Vetby UpTakeVideo 17,052 views
- 1:10 Cpl. Andrew C. Wilfahrtby DontTreadOnMe2010 5,780 views
- 4:36 Dying Soldier Sings "Tell My Father" with his Sonby MNNationalGuard 38,475 views
- 3:09 Minnesota Gay Marriage Ban Will Go On 2012 Ballotby SuchIsLifeVideos 2,555 views
- 3:22 HERO, MAN,SOLDIER,SON,BROTHER,FRIEND: ANDREW WILFAHRTby jarred edgerton 318 views
- 6:03 Republican Representative John Kriesel's House Floor Speech Opposing Marriage Amendmentby MN4allfamilies 3,816 views
- 3:00 Marine Lance Cpl. ANDREW CARPENTER.mp4by newsroomc 4,342 views
- 0:33 Vote NO TV Ad #5: Freedomby MN4allfamilies 14,779 views
- 8:10 Gay Senator:MN Anti-Gay Marriage Amendment Is Hurtfulby UpTakeVideo 11,560 views
- 0:31 The Ultimate Sacrificeby MN4allfamilies 2,498 views
- 9:54 Local News Bloopersby Emily Elliott 1,016,174 views
- 9:12 Savoy Brown-Where's Your Heart Goneby yellowbootpro 11,799 views
- 8:14 Homecoming Speechby mamanooch 9,258 views
- 9:26 M4M headliner Jennifer Roback Morse speaks in Montevideo MNby Bluestemprairie 2,398 views
- Loading more suggestions...