Tell me where's your heart: remembering Cpl. Andrew Wilfahrt
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 30, 2011
On this Memorial Day, I'm remembering those who defended my country, and those who died for it.
One story that's moved me this spring strikes at the core of what it means to be an American, to love this country, to honor its values: the death of Cpl. Andrew Wilfahrt and his family's standing up for equality for all people. Andrew Wilfahrt was a gay man; this was the least interesting thing about him. What those who served with him remember is a soldier who was there for his fellow soldiers.
Wilfahrt's life and death became an emblem of equality in in recent debates over a bill to amend the Minnesota constitution to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman. Those opposing the bill--and now the amendment--have risen to rare eloquence, none more than that of a Republican freshman legislator who lost the lower part of his legs in Iraq when an IED exploded.
In this video, John Kriesel points toward protesters chanting during this statement, saying that that America was the one he had fought for. I'd like to believe that this is where Andrew's heart is, in the America that includes everyone, but there are others, equally American, who believe otherwise. This is their right; some may even object to the posting of this video on Memorial Day.
My beloved state now faces a debate and a fight over fundamentals: who we are, what we love, how a society will recognize that love, and what love will matter. This Memorial Day, I'm siding with the Wilfahrt family and Representative John Kriesel, a straight, married, conservative man, in saying Yes to a society which respects love, and on Election Day in November 2012, saying "Hell No!" to those who would deny equality for Andrew and everyone. I'd prefer that no one's fundamental rights and dignity be put up for a vote, but since vote I must, it's "Hell No."
Thank you, John Kriesel. Thank you, Jeff and Lori Wilfahrt. And thank you, Andrew Wilfahrt.
For more information about Andrew Wilfahrt's service, watch this Youtube from the Courage Campaign:
Standard YouTube License
- 7:07 War On Gays Not Why We Fight Wars Says GOP Iraq Vetby UpTakeVideo17,276 views
- 2:52 Twin Cities HRC Andrew Wilfahrt Tributeby tchrcsc795 views
- 8:12 Jeff Wilfahrt speech to OutFront Minnesota Rally, State Capitol steps, April 14, 2011by Bluestemprairie1,559 views
- 6:43 Sophie & Zach talk about seed saving & gardening at the White Earth Reservationby Bluestemprairie57 views
- 9:26 M4M headliner Jennifer Roback Morse speaks in Montevideo MNby Bluestemprairie2,461 views
- 6:03 Republican Representative John Kriesel's House Floor Speech Opposing Marriage Amendmentby MN4allfamilies3,833 views
- 100 videos Play all Youtubeby mrowks
- 12:50 Rachel Maddow On Minnesota's Anti-Gay Marriage Constitutional Amendmentby SuchIsLifeVideos35,439 views
- 5:57 Rep. Kriesel's Full Speech On Gay Marriage, Bucking The GOPby UpTakeVideo91,355 views
- 4:10 Andrew Sullivan: It Gets Better—But Not Through Politicsby Big Think10,582 views
- 6:12 Fallen Warriors February 17 - Mach 2, 2011by Kathryn Taylor2,453 views
- 3:22 HERO, MAN,SOLDIER,SON,BROTHER,FRIEND: ANDREW WILFAHRTby jarred edgerton338 views
- 4:29 Kriesel's Closing Comments during Stadium Debateby MNHouseGOP3,165 views
- 4:03 Freedom Rangers Stand for Food: Reinstate the SFP Program at M State- Fergus Fallsby Bluestemprairie72 views
- 4:51 A tribute to Cpl. Andrew Wilfahrt, a gay servicememberby CourageCampaign52,818 views
- 3:09 Minnesota Gay Marriage Ban Will Go On 2012 Ballotby SuchIsLifeVideos2,583 views
- 3:00 Marine Lance Cpl. ANDREW CARPENTER.mp4by newsroomc4,393 views
- 7:40 Minnesotans United for All Families Announces Partnership with Andrew's Round Tableby MN4allfamilies545 views
- 13:58 Cpl. Andrew Wilfahrt - Gay Service Member Dies After DADT Repealby TYT Interviews3,247 views
- 4:36 Dying Soldier Sings "Tell My Father" with his Sonby Minnesota National Guard72,661 views