What is Vascular Dementia? Alzheimer's Society Dementia Brain Video
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 3, 2012
This film looks at vascular dementia, the second most common form of dementia, and the connection between a healthy blood supply and dementia.
"Vascular dementia is the second most common type of dementia, although it can also occur in combination with Alzheimer's disease, in a condition called mixed dementia.
Vascular dementia is associated with problems in the blood supply to the brain. Interruption of the blood supply, for example by a blockage or a leak, can cause a stroke. A stroke can cause significant damage to the area of the brain that was starved of its blood supply. Sometimes a single stroke is enough to cause symptoms of dementia. In other cases, a person may experience a series of smaller strokes that gradually cause more damage.
Vascular dementia can also be caused by small vessel disease which is due to damage to the tiny blood vessels deep in the brain.
Since vascular dementia is closely linked to a healthy blood supply, scientists think that lifestyle factors such as regular exercise and maintaining a healthy weight could help to reduce the risk of this form of dementia."
Please watch our other videos to see how brain cells function, hear what dementia is, and to hear more about Alzheimer's disease, Posterior Cortical Atrophy, vascular dementia, dementia with Lewy bodies, fronto-temporal dementia and other rarer causes of dementia.
Alzheimer's Society is dedicated to defeating dementia through research. Our unique research programme funds research into the cause, cure, care and prevention of dementia to improve treatment for people today and to search for a cure for tomorrow.
We are the only organisation to work with leading scientists and people affected by dementia to ensure our research influences practice and transforms lives. With the right investment, dementia can be defeated.
If you have found this tool useful please consider donating to our research programme by following this link
Interested in getting the latest updates from the Society?
Follow us on Twitter -- http://www.twitter.com/alzheimerssoc
Like us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/alzheimersso...
Who are we?
Alzheimer's Society is the leading support and research charity for people with dementia, their families and carers.
There are 800,000 people with dementia in the UK with numbers set to rise to one million by 2021.
What is dementia?
The term 'dementia' is used to describe the symptoms that occur when the brain is affected by specific diseases and conditions. Symptoms of dementia include loss of memory, confusion and problems with speech and understanding.
Support the fight against dementia and visit us at
Leading the fight against dementia
© Alzheimer's Society 2012. Registered Charity No. 296645.
Standard YouTube License
Next in Dementia brain tour
- 0:46 Frontotemporal Dementia, Ray sees dad for the first time in 2 yearsby Tracie DicksonFeatured 7,736
- 1:37 What is Alzheimer's Disease? Alzheimer's Society Dementia Brain Videoby AlzheimersSociety 21,336 views
- 1:49 An Introduction to the Brain - Alzheimer's Society Dementia Brain Videoby AlzheimersSociety 24,256 views
- 3:05 Getting diagnosed with dementia - Christine and Jennifer-Rose - early onsetby AlzheimersSociety 44,390 views
- 25:14 Understanding Dementiaby AlzheimerBC 17,616 views
- 11 videos Play all dementiaby suzasana
- 2:58 Living with Lewy Body Dementia - Mayo Clinicby Mayo Clinic 15,043 views
- 10:13 Identifying the Signs of Dementiaby rescarehomecare 25,592 views
- 1:01 Dementia and behaviorby goodfaith888 17,811 views
- 6:26 Helpful Tips for Dementia Caregiversby Caregiver Insights Foundation 30,585 views
- 9:40 Demenciaby luciana boccazzi 11,673 views
- 1:28:12 Preventing Dementia: Facts and Fictionby UCtelevision 6,038 views
- 1:37 What Is Dementia? - Alzheimer's Society Dementia Brain Videoby AlzheimersSociety 49,415 views
- 0:59 What is Dementia with Lewy Bodies? Alzheimer's Society Dementia Brain Videoby AlzheimersSociety 11,236 views
- 4:37 Picks Diseaseby titan5500 22,964 views
- 57:24 Dementia Case Presentationsby UCtelevision 13,126 views
- 2:33 How to Manage Difficult Behaviors from a Family Member with Alzheimer's or Dementiaby MonkeySee 11,577 views
- 2:02 Dementia Videoby Amyborba 132,754 views
- 9:07 Going Home (A short film on Dementia)by HPBsg 579,654 views
- 8:37 Behavioral Challenges in Dementia With Lewy Bodies - pt 1by LBDAtv 20,220 views
- 2:54 Living with Dementiaby CBS 35,701 views
- Loading more suggestions...