Strata 2012: Hal Varian, "Using Google Data for Short-term Economic Forecasting"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 1, 2012
Google Insights for Search provides an index of search activity for millions of queries. These queries can sometimes help understand consumer behavior. Hal describes some of the issues that arise in trying to use this data for short-term economic forecasts and provide examples.
Hal R. Varian is the Chief Economist at Google. He started in May 2002 as a consultant and has been involved in many aspects of the company, including auction design, econometric analysis, finance, corporate strategy and public policy.
He also holds academic appointments at the University of California, Berkeley in three departments: business, economics, and information management.
He received his SB degree from MIT in 1969 and his MA in mathematics and Ph.D. in economics from UC Berkeley in 1973. He has also taught at MIT, Stanford, Oxford, Michigan and other universities around the world.
Dr. Varian is a fellow of the Guggenheim Foundation, the Econometric Society, and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He was Co-Editor of the American Economic Review from 1987-1990 and holds honorary doctorates from the University of Oulu, Finland and the University of Karlsruhe, Germany.
Professor Varian has published numerous papers in economic theory, industrial organization, financial economics, econometrics and information economics. He is the author of two major economics textbooks which have been translated into 22 languages. He is the co-author of a bestselling book on business strategy, Information Rules: A Strategic Guide to the Network Economy and wrote a monthly column for the New York Times from 2000 to 2007.
Standard YouTube License
Next in Strata SC 2012
- 9:38 Life of the Buddha (Khmer) 15by KhmerbuddhistFeatured 19,284
- 34:57 Mark Zuckerberg at Startup School 2011by John DaviFeatured 162,380
- 6:07 Strata 2012: Steve Schoettler, "Learning Analytics"by OreillyMedia 4,311 views
- 5:49 Strata 2012: Gary Lang, "Big Data's Next Step: Applications"by OreillyMedia 971 views
- 15:23 Strata 2012: Ben Goldacre "The Information Architecture of Medicine is Broken"by OreillyMedia 5,415 views
- 69 videos Play all Strata SC 2012by OreillyMedia
- 48:42 Hal Varian at RSS 2012 Conference: Statistics at Googleby RoyalStatSoc 997 views
- 58:14 2012 SSAC: Insider Trading: Sports Bookmaking and Gamblingby 42analytics 4,767 views
- 10:39 Strata 2012: Doug Cutting, "The Apache Hadoop Ecosystem"by OreillyMedia 2,266 views
- 10:35 Strata 2012: Usman Haque, "Open Data and the Internet of Things"by OreillyMedia 1,334 views
- 7:31 Strata 2012: Jonathan Gosier, "Democratization of Data Platforms"by OreillyMedia 740 views
- 9:32 Strata 2012: Luke Lonergan, "5 Big Questions about Big Data"by OreillyMedia 1,318 views
- 6:43 Strata 2012: Flavio Villanustre, "Machine Learning and Big Data: Sustainable Value or Hype?"by OreillyMedia 838 views
- 49:26 Marissa Mayer at Stanford Universityby miraclemart 307,997 views
- 2:36 Economic Forecast 2012by cnbohio 3,860 views
- 15:29 Strata 2012: Avinash Kaushik, "A Big Data Imperative: Driving Big Action"by OreillyMedia 18,062 views
- 1:50 Statistics - Dream Job of the next decadeby mcam13 52,221 views
- 9:22 Strata 2012: Mike Olson, "Guns, Drugs and Oil: Attacking Big Problems with Big Data"by OreillyMedia 898 views
- 9:32 Strata 2011: Hilary Mason, "What Data Tells Us"by OreillyMedia 18,102 views
- 4:10 Strata 2012: Jonathan Gluck, "Winner of the Second Heritage Health Progress Prize"by OreillyMedia 602 views
- 10:30 Strata 2012: Abhishek Mehta, "Decoding the Great American ZIP myth"by OreillyMedia 872 views
- Loading more suggestions...