Uploaded on Sep 10, 2008
(korean-style beef short ribs).
2 lbs (about 1 kg) of beef short ribs, water, cooking wine, soy sauce, black pepper, brown sugar, garlic, green onion, onion, sesame oil, carrots, radish, shiitake mushrooms, and mulyeot (corn syrup).
1. Soak 5 shiitake mushrooms in warm water for about 4-6 hours.
2. Soak short ribs in cold water in a large bowl for at least 30 minutes and change the water a few times.
3. Boil water in a large pot. Put in the short ribs. Boil for 5-10 minutes.
4. Take out the ribs from the boiling water and wash them with cold water to remove unnecessary fat or floating bubbles.
5. Throw away the boiling water and clean the pot.
6. Place the clean beef short ribs in the pot.
7. Prepare a bowl to make seasoned water by mixing 2 cups of water, 4 tbs soy sauce, 8 cloves of minced garlic), ½ sliced onion, 1 tbs rice wine, and 1 tbs brown sugar.
8. Add it to the short ribs in the pot.
9. Boil it over medium heat for 20 minutes.
10. While it boils, you can prepare the other ingredients:
11. Cut carrot and radish into 5 cm-size cubes and round the edges to make several balls (the size of the balls should be like ping pong balls )
12. Cut the soaked shiitake mushrooms into bite size. *tip: You can add several skinned chestnuts and gingko nuts
13. Open the lid of the pot and add all ingredients (carrot, radish, shiitake mushrooms) to the pot. Let it simmer for about 1 hour over low heat. *tip: Stir the ribs and other ingredients with a wooden spoon from time to time. Pour the liquid from the bottom of the pot over top of the meat
14. Open the lid and check if the meat is cooked fully. Use your chopstick to poke the meat. When it is smoothly going through the meat, the meat is tender enough.
15. Add 2 tbs of moolyeot (corn syrup), 1 tbs sesame oil, ½ ts black pepper, and heat it up over high heat. Mix it well until liquid evaporates
16. Transfer galbijjim to a platter before serving.
Standard YouTube License