UK Agriculture Minister and BSE, Mad Cow Disease, from 1990
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 24, 2008
Click here ► http://www.foodsafetypolicy.com to find out more. See ► food safety policy.com
Information from wikipedia
Member of Parliament
At the 1964 general election, John Selwyn Gummer stood as a candidate in the Greenwich constituency, but was heavily defeated by the incumbent Labour MP, Richard Marsh. He stood again some 18 months later at the 1966 general election and lost even more heavily.
He was finally elected to the House of Commons on his third attempt, at the 1970 general election, when he narrowly unseated the sitting MP James Dickens in the Lewisham West constituency. However, at the February 1974 general election he lost the seat to Labour's Christopher Price, and failed to regain it in the October 1974 election.
In 1979, he eventually returned to the House of Commons, securing the seat of Eye, following the retirement of veteran Tory Harwood Harrison. He held the constituency until its abolition for the 1983 general election. From then until 2010 he was the MP for one of its successor constituencies, Suffolk Coastal.
He is noted for delaying a ban on beef in 1989, and for the way he attempted to feed a hamburger to his four-year-old daughter Cordelia at the height of the BSE panic in 1990, though his daughter did not eat it as it was too "hot" and she was full.
It was announced that Gummer would be awarded a peerage in the 2010 Dissolution Honours List. He was created a life peer as Baron Deben, of Winston in the County of Suffolk on 21 June 2010, and he was introduced in the House of Lords the same day, supported by his brother, Lord Chadlington, and the composer Lord Lloyd-Webber.
Although there has never been a Lord Gummer,both he and his brother chose to take geographical titles instead of their surname.
Standard YouTube License
- 55:35 Interview - Colm Kelleher - Mad Cow and Misdiagnosed Alzheimer's Diseaseby talkingsticktv5,501 views
- 9:34 Michael Greger Mad Cow Disease - 1by bdbFan5,829 views
- 57:31 Mad Cow Disease: What You Need to Knowby vshvideo6,688 views
- 1:46 Cat with Rabiesby BaysideAHCambridgeMD148,342 views
- 36:37 What causes BSE, CJD & MS? Organic Farmer Mark Purdey on Organophosphates (2001)by PublicEnquiry3,043 views
- 27:12 Brass Eye Episode 07 - Paedogeddon! (Special)by Pol Pot56,548 views
- 43:22 DP/30: In The Loop, director Armando Iannucci, actor Peter Capaldiby DP/3021,926 views
- 6 videos Play all Chapter 12 Gene Functionby jsbarbee
- 9:57 Theory on the origins of BSE (2005): United Kingdom videoby BSE News Reports2,402 views
- 10:01 Part 1: Food Safety Documentary and Mad Cow Diseaseby BSE Documentary6,018 views
- 3:17 Human 'Mad Cow Disease' (CJD) News Reportby BSE News Reports25,739 views
- 1:25:33 Comedian Stewart Lee in conversation at Oxford Brookes Universityby Oxford Brookes University32,031 views
- 56:21 How Serious is the Threat of Mad Cow Disease?by University of California Television (UCTV)6,935 views
- 7:31 Cannibals, Cows, and misbehaving Proteins (Prion Diseases). A History of Infection #14by JimtheEvo970 views
- 13:41 2011 Visionary Dinner Rt. Hon. John Gummer, Lord Deben Keynote Part 1by Southfaceenergy423 views
- 27:12 Armando Iannucci, Radio 1 Show, Episode 1 (1993)by Neil Bomb'd2,014 views
- 11:51 Stewart Lee Talks to Armando Iannucci - Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - BBC Twoby BBC67,899 views
- 24:29 The Armando Iannucci Shows - Episode Five - Completeby kmtkmy25,694 views
- 24:21 The Armando Iannucci Shows - Episode Four - Completeby kmtkmy26,322 views
- 29:06 The Day Today Episode 03 - Meganewsby Pol Pot22,333 views