How to Erase Your Hard Drive
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 2, 2010
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more Data Management & Storage videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/579-Dat...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
Prevent identity theft by thoroughly erasing the information contained on your hard drive.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Back up everything
Before you erase your hard drive, back up everything you want to save on CDs or an external hard drive.
Step 2: Download a drive-erasing tool
For a PC, download a dedicated drive-erasing tool for free online.
Look for a tool that is recommended on reputable tech web sites or by the manufacturer of your computer.
Step 3: Create a boot disk
Create a boot disk using a CD or USB drive by following the instructions from the drive-erasing tool.
Step 4: Follow instructions
Read and follow the instructions for the drive-erase tool to erase the hard drive by overwriting the data.
Step 5: Erase a Mac hard drive
Erase the hard drive on a Mac by going to Applications, Utilities, and opening the Disk Utility. Select the drive in Disk Utility, click the Erase tab, then Erase Free Space.
Step 6: Using Disk Utility
In the popup menu, choose Zero Out Deleted Files, 7-Pass Erase, or 35-Pass Erase. 7-pass takes seven times longer than the zero out option, and 35-Pass takes 35 times as long, since they write over the disk seven and 35 times, respectively, ensuring you have thoroughly cleaned the drive.
Did You Know?
Did you know? Gilbert Hyatt at Micro Computer Company patented the microprocessor in 1971.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:21 How to Hot-Wire a Carby Howcast1,675,623 views
- 3:59 How to Extend the Life of Your Computerby Howcast59,722 views
- 1:33 How to Fix the Xbox 360 Red Ring Of Deathby Howcast367,159 views
- 1:53 How to Clean Out Unwanted Programs from Your PC's Hard Driveby Howcast29,465 views
- 7:17 how to fix a hard drive (and get your data off)by Matt248,605 views
- 4:44 Gold platinum and palladium recovery from computer hard drives www.compuscrap.comby ozcopper159,382 views
- 75 videos Play all Hard Driveby snackpack013
- 6:27 How To Permanently Delete/Erase Files In Your Trash From Your Hard Driveby MacBoyProductions60,418 views
- 4:18 Completely Erase a Hard Driveby Anthony Papillion504,604 views
- 31:25 How To Completely Restore Your Mac to Factory Settingsby nickandjet125,487 views
- 7:26 DIY: How to repair a damaged hard driveby DeviceTechRepair301,588 views
- 5:43 How To Speed Up Your Computer By Cleaning Up Your Hard Driveby WorldTravelerMan56,214 views
- 9:12 How to defrag a Mac hard drive and delete applicationsby AsktheTechies90,863 views
- 6:00 How To Completely Format A Hard Driveby Alex Appolloni156,937 views
- 8:14 Hard Drive Not Showing Up In My Computer - How to fix it (Windows 7) PART 1by ErraticSpeculations53,128 views
- 2:57 Reset Mac to Factory State and Delete Personal Data Securelyby AlexChama80,792 views
- 27:44 PS3 1TB Hard Drive Upgrade - COMPLETE Software and Hardware Walkthroughby howudoinreviews191,102 views
- 2:22 Computer Technology : How to Wipe Your Hard Driveby eHowTech94,218 views
- 7:42 How to do a clean install of Snow Leopardby AppleGenius092182,201 views
- 5:41 How to access a hard drive from a dead computer.by twinbytesinc418,790 views