How to Make a Kaleidoscope
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 30, 2009
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more Craft Ideas for Kids videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/363-Cra...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
A kaleidoscope is a fun toy, but you don't have to buy one in the store. It's easy to make one yourself.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Draw a rectangle
Draw a rectangle, 8-by-4 inches, on the plastic using your pen or permanent marker, and cut it out with your scissors or a utility knife.
Step 2: Draw your fold lines
Draw three lines, parallel to each other, lengthwise along the rectangle. The lines should be 1¼ inches apart, starting 1¼ inches from the top edge. The last line will be ¼ inch from the bottom edge.
Step 3: Fold the rectangle
Fold your rectangle along the lines you just drew, forming a three-dimensional triangle. The small 1/4-inch fold should be on the outside. Using your clear tape, tape the triangle together along the thin ¼-inch flap of plastic.
Step 4: Cut the paper towel tube
Cut the paper towel tube to a length of 8 inches, the same length as your plastic triangle. Slide your clear plastic triangle inside the paper towel tube.
Step 5: Cover one end
Place one end of the tube on the black construction paper and trace a circle around it. Cut out the circle with your scissors and tape it to one end of the paper towel tube.
Step 6: Poke a hole
Poke a small hole with the scissors or utility knife in the middle of the construction paper circle you just taped to the paper towel tube.
Step 7: Fill the plastic wrap with shiny objects
Place a square of plastic wrap on the uncovered end of the paper towel tube. Push the plastic wrap down into the tube by about 1 inch to create a pocket. Fill the depression with your shiny sequins, beads, and confetti.
Step 8: Cover the plastic wrap
Once the plastic wrap is filled with shiny objects, cover the open end of the tube with wax paper. Wrap a rubber band around the edge of the tube so that the wax paper and plastic wrap stay in place. Make sure the rubber band is tight so nothing slips out!
Step 9: Trim the plastic wrap and wax paper
With your scissors, trim off the excess plastic wrap and wax paper so your kaleidoscope doesn't look messy. If you have stickers or wrapping paper, you can now use them to decorate the outside of your kaleidoscope. Don't cover the eyehole or the wax paper -- that's how the light gets in!
Step 10: Enjoy your homemade kaleidoscope
Look through your kaleidoscope, pointing the other end at a lamp or indirect source of sunlight. Slowly turn it in your hand, enjoying all the pretty colors.
Did You Know?
In 2000, Christie's auction house sold an antique kaleidoscope for $75,000.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:25 Mat Maari Song ft.Shahid Kapoor & Sonakshi Sinha | R..Rajkumarby Eros Now Featured 1,778,801
- 3:02 How to Create a Phenakistoscopeby Howcast63,925 views
- 4:00 How to Make a Pinhole Cameraby Howcast121,410 views
- 2:30 How to Make an Easy Chocolate Cakeby Howcast886,847 views
- 1:55 How to Make a Snow Globeby Howcast370,980 views
- 10:12 How to Make a Kaleidoscopeby www123peppy156,072 views
- 8:45 How to make a Kaleidoscope from a Paper Towel Tubeby Learn To Grow14,267 views
- 5 videos Play all How to...by Lunkijude
- 10:02 Kaleidoscopes made easyby Westalee56,430 views
- 4:51 Art Attack - Make A Kaleidoscopeby DisneyJuniorUK603,387 views
- 12:09 Paper Planes - How to make a Paper Airplane that Flies Far - Best Paper Airplane Tutorial | Swallowby Mahir Cecen493,457 views
- 2:36 How to Make a Snow Globeby theDIYdish235,922 views
- 3:29 How I made my Haku Maskby NekoNiN30249,703 views
- 2:50 Make Your Own Magic Snow Globesby Sophie Bowen208,348 views
- 10:24 How to make an F15 Eagle Jet Fighter Paper Plane (Tadashi Mori)by tadashi mori7,298,220 views
- 9:07 DIY: Christmas Tree Snow Globe ~UPDATED with Annotations~by FrostMintCreations28,508 views
- 3:56 How To Make Simple Telescope (Urdu) By Fatimaby Pak Science Club Channel73,715 views
- 6:15 Paper Airplanes - How to make a Paper Airplane that Flies Far - Best Video Tutorial | Strike Eagleby Mahir Cecen454,132 views
- 14:08 How to Make an Origami Boomerangby Rob's World7,341,705 views
- 6:14 MAKE: Recycled Kaleidoscopeby MAKE55,923 views