LDS Church History: Oliver Cowdery, Book of Mormon Witness
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 30, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Zsvm... is a video describing how to learn more about the Mormon Church.
Oliver Cowdery was one of the first members of the Mormon Church and was a key figure in Mormon history. Oliver served as scribe to Joseph Smith during the translation of the Book of Mormon, was the first person to be baptized into the Church, was witness to the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, and was a leader in the early days of the Church. He witnessed many profound visions and miraculous events with Joseph Smith and had a good deal of authority in the early Church.
Oliver was born on October 3, 1806, in Wells, Vermont. There is little information about his youth; the earliest records available state that at twenty years old he moved to New York. He worked as a clerk in a store until 1829, and then taught at the school in Manchester. Oliver Cowdery boarded in the home of Joseph Smith Sr. and Lucy Mack Smith, Joseph Smith's parents, and while there learned of Joseph's visions and the manuscript he was translating. Oliver became convinced of the truth of this work and desired to become a scribe for Joseph Smith.
Oliver became Joseph's scribe on April 7, 1829, and worked with him until the translation of the Book of Mormon was completed. Oliver was grateful for the opportunity to hear the words of the book. In his own words he said:
These were days never to be forgotten—to sit under the sound of a voice dictated by the inspiration of heaven, awakened the utmost gratitude of this bosom! Day after day I continued, uninterrupted, to write from his mouth, as he translated with the Urim and Thummim, or, as the Nephites would have said, 'Interpreters,' the history or record called 'The Book of Mormon' (Messenger and Advocate, October 1834, p. 14).
While they were translating, Joseph and Oliver learned about baptism and decided to ask the Lord whether they ought to be baptized. As they prayed, John the Baptist appeared to them as a heavenly messenger. Calling them his "fellow servants," he ordained them to the Aaronic Priesthood with the authority to baptize. Joseph and Oliver went to the nearby Susquehanna River where Joseph first baptized Oliver, then Oliver baptized Joseph. Not long after, Oliver Cowdery witnessed the restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood under the hands of the ancient apostles Peter, James, and John.
While translating the record, Joseph and Oliver learned that three witnesses would be allowed to see the record and bear testimony of its existence in addition to Joseph. In June of 1829, Oliver became one of these Three Witnesses to the existence of the gold plates, along with Martin Harris and David Whitmer. The three men and Joseph retired to the woods where they prayed. An angel appeared to them, showing them the gold plates. The voice of God was also heard, commanding them to bear record of the event. Though these men suffered and struggled much, not one of them ever denied this testimony.
Information from http://www.mormonwiki.com
Standard YouTube License
- 1:26:25 Jornada de Fé -- Documentário do Livro de Mórmonby bookmormon10,088 views
- 14:43 How heavy were the gold plates?by Eric Johnson2,159 views
- 13:08 Book of MormONION - Moroni Gold Plates and Con-Man Joseph Smithby 'Latter Day Saints4,549 views
- 58:06 Joseph Smith and the Gold Plates, by Bill McKeeverby Aaron Shafovaloff8,837 views
- 8:02 "What about the Book of Mormon Witnesses and the Gold Plates?"by Eric Johnson1,360 views
- 1:07:18 Native American Indians are Descendants of the Jewsby MormonEvidence5,259 views
- 35:42 Interview With Mormon Apologist Rodney Meldrumby Aaron Shafovaloff10,314 views
- 67 videos Play all LDS Videosby jwb012335
- 6:52 LDS Church History: Martin Harris Book of Mormon Witness 1/2by lds99999,943 views
- 1:18:52 Evidences for The Book of Mormonby FAIR MORMON10,661 views
- 25:13 DNA, Geography, and the Book of Mormonby Aaron Shafovaloff26,052 views
- 16:02 Josephs Book of Mormon is better than the Bible?by 'Latter Day Saints5,679 views
- 6:23 The Life and Death of Mormon Founder Joseph Smith Jr. - 2/2by lds999913,372 views
- 1:24:21 O Novo Mundo - Documentário do Livro de Mórmonby bookmormon22,466 views
- 15:37 Errors In The Book of Mormon Exposed - Mormonism Exposedby isthechurchtrue7,760 views
- 25:54 The Untold Story of the Death of Joseph Smithby Aaron Shafovaloff305,107 views
- 1:03:20 How Rare a Possession - The Book of Mormon (Full Movie)by ajhthecoolman126,640 views
- 8:35 Mormon Church History - LDS Zion's Camp - 1/3by lds999922,028 views
- 49:24 DNA vs. The Book of Mormonby lhvm233,610 views
- 6:00 Mormon Temple: FILMED W/ HIDDEN CAMERAby Newnamenoah169,627 views