3 Minute Philosophy - St. Thomas Aquinas (without anti-Catholic bias and fallacies)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 16, 2010
The original "3 Minute Philosophy" video on St. Thomas Aquinas has some very obvious anti-Catholic bias and rather misleading fallacies within it. This is the same video but with a few of the unnecessary scenes/comments deleted from it. If you are a Religious Educator or just someone who wants the good qualities of this video (without the Catholic bashing), here you go.
If you are interested in some rebuttals to the original 3 Minute Philosophy video, please see below. These are my comments sent to the creator of the original:
A good video, funny too, but with some obvious anti-Catholic bias (surprise, surprise, someone else decided to jump on the lets bash the Catholic Church train!) and deceptive misunderstandings. For instance:
1. Random and unnecessary plug about pedophilia, as if pedophilia only occurred in the Catholic Church (Ever look at public school teacher stats on this? The Catholic Church's rate of pedophilia absolutely pales in comparison, but I certainly haven't seen bigotry and intolerance directed at them for this.)
2. Suggesting that Thomas' reasoning was biased because he already believed in the existence of God: "Being a Catholic monk its not surprising which answer he leaned towards". If you use this line of reasoning than you also better not trust any other intelligent theist who contributed something to world (i.e. Einstein, Newton, Copernicus, and the original proposer of the Big Bang Theory, Fr. Georges Lemaître, to name a few).
3. Suggesting that Thomas believed Aristotle was being tortured in Hell for not being Catholic, which is something that neither Thomas or the Catholic Church taught/teaches (Note: Dante's Inferno suggested that Aristotle and other virtuous pagans would be in a state of limbo, but it is important to remember that a number of Dante's depictions do not line up with Catholic teaching and the Church has never fully backed Dante's understanding of Hell).
4. Suggesting this was the first time the Catholic Church could argue against atheists (Ever heard of St. Augustine or any other Doctors of the Church that lived before Thomas Aquinas???)
5. Suggesting there are some components of Catholic doctrine that do not make any rational sense no matter how hard Thomas Aquinas tried and that Thomas' only answer to this was there are some things you just have to take God's word for. It is true that Thomas says, "It is impossible to attain to the knowledge of the Trinity by natural reason" (Question 32, Summa Theologica), but this in no way insinuates that Thomas thought this makes no rational sense. He was pointing to the fact that the notion of the Trinity could not be achieved by natural reason alone and that we could only know of it were first revealed to us (divine revelation).
6. Suggesting that the reason Thomas Aquinas was made a saint was because the Catholic Church loved him so much. On the contrary, the reason he (and all other Catholic saints) was made a saint was because of his love for God and the holiness he showed throughout his life. Sainthood is not primarily based on popularity or intellect, but on holiness (which Thomas certainly possessed).
For further info on proofs for God's existence, please see http://www.peterkreeft.com/.
1. 20 Arguments for the Existence of God: http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics-mor...
2. Audio talks #8, 18, 23: http://www.peterkreeft.com/audio.htm
Standard YouTube License
- 58:02 La prueba científica de la existencia de Dios (HD - español latino)by TVGlobal2154,848 views
- CollegeBinary 52 videos30K
- 27:43 St. Thomas Aquinasby workingklass04,146 views
- 10:21 12 Stories About St. Thomas Aquinas - by Peter Kreeftby Greg Aitchison5,783 views
- 1:55:26 The Signs of God's Existence - Documentary [Full Length]by AlimaneStudios636,094 views
- 4:37 St. Thomas Aquinas and The Five Ways to Prove the Existence of Godby ColumbiaCatholic5,188 views
- 2:12:20 Debate - William Lane Craig vs Christopher Hitchens - Does God Exist?by KYLYKaHYT951,098 views
- 1:28:16 Probando La Existencia De Dios|Español Latino|History Channelby Nickox720535,283 views
- 67 videos Play all Religion and Philosophyby SteffiKirby
- 15:10 Thomas Aquinas Sucksby The Amazing Atheist124,795 views
- 1:54:45 The Signs - Le Film (Complet) | HD | Les Signes de l'Existence de Dieu |by 1Rap1ful774,629 views
- 8:54 Santo Tomas de Aquino y las pruebas de la existencia de DIos parte 2/3by unreal bug26,993 views
- 24:34 Tomás de Aquino (Grandes Filósofos)by Francisco Rios4,218 views
- 48:10 Rev. Robert Barron Speaks at Thomas Aquinas Collegeby ThomasAquinasCollege1,289 views
- 9:46 5 Reasons God Existsby dcarree369,101 views
- 9:25 Fr. Barron comments on Is Hell Crowded or Empty?by Fr. Robert Barron81,164 views
- 30:46 Tomás de Aquino por Fernando Savater en La Aventura del Pensamientoby Rodolfo Justiniano Segura Chán8,443 views
- 7:23 Dios no existe - La evidenciaby F60001,220,402 views
- 10:51 Dios si Existe! 1era, 2da, y 3era parte!by Jeanmark Rodriguez247,789 views
- 10:00 Grandes Pensadores - San Tomas de Aquino - Parte Iby SAWWEN12,899 views