Tiananmen Discussion Still Banned 21 Years After Crackdown
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 4, 2010
I said i wasn't gonna upload any more NTDTV Videos since the NTDTV channel is back up. But since today is the anniversary of the Tiananmen Square Massacre and since so far nobody else uploaded this video i am making an exception (-:
On Tuesday, the Southern Metropolis Daily published this picture. It was part of a cartoon meant for International Children's Day. But what most saw was the resemblance to another photo—the photo of the "Tank Man" taken on June 4, 1989.
21 years later, this photo remains an iconic symbol of the Chinese Communist Party's brutal military crackdown on democracy activists in and around Beijing's Tiananmen Square.
In contrast, the drawing in the Southern Metropolis Daily was quickly taken down from its website.
Zhang Kaichen is a former Chinese propaganda official who defected to the United States last year. He says the removal of the Southern Metropolis drawing is part of the Chinese regime's 21-year policy of banning public discussion of the Tiananmen incident.
[Zhang Kaichen, Former Liaoning Propaganda Official]
"Whenever June 4th comes up, the central propaganda department, or provincial department, will definitely send through notices, or telephone directions, that there needs to be strict control during this period, and that we need to actively monitor and tell various media outlets that nothing on this subject can be published. This is an explicit rule."
Tang Baiqiao was a student leader from Hunan province during the 1989 democracy movement. After the Tiananmen bloodshed, he was arrested and sentenced on so-called "counter-revolutionary" charges. He fled to the U.S. in 1992 and got political asylum. Tang believes the Chinese regime wants to keep a closed lid on the subject because it cannot admit to the Chinese public that what it did was wrong.
[Tang Baiqiao, Student Leader in 1989 Democracy Movement]
"Former Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping's daughter said her father regretted what happened afterwards. But messages like this can only be said to Westerners, and it cannot be said inside China. Why? Because the entire population would ask, 'Why do you not redress June 4? If even if your own people believe it was wrong, why can't you redress it through proper channels...If the student activists were right, do you need to apologize, or compensate families of the victims; mourn the victims; or investigate the truth of this piece of history, punish the perpetrators...' Because the CCP dares not take this series of actions, it dares not admit it was wrong."
At least hundreds were killed in the Tiananmen crackdown in 1989. Families of those who died have been demanding an investigation into what happened, because the Chinese regime has not acknowledged the large number of deaths.
Every year, in the days leading up to the June 4 anniversary, Tiananmen Square is placed under heavy police watch. Domestic dissidents are monitored but no official mention is made of the 1989 Tiananmen bloodshed. The Chinese regime may want the public to forget about the incident, but it still plagues the minds of those in power.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:26 Why the Tiananmen Square Massacre is Called the June 4th Incident in Chinaby China Uncensored Featured 5,534
- 11:23 Tankman Tiananmen Massacre (Rare Documentary) Part 1by Ave Thomaz10,127 views
- 9:56 first interview with Martin Luther King from 1957 part 1by Emmanuel Goldstein80,684 views
- 9:45 Zhang Cui Ying - traditional chinese artist PART 1by Emmanuel Goldstein38,984 views
- 8:25 Tiananmen massacre documentary-The tank manby mychinademocracy6,925 views
- 1:22:44 The Tank Manby krypdo2,483 views
- 1:18:00 The Gate of Heavenly Peace - Tiananmen Square Protests (Part 2 of 2)by spartacus240015,854 views
- 9:35 2010-06-03 时事大家谈(1/5):六四21周年专访柴玲by 美国之音中文网7,287 views
- 20:11 TWTW: Cyrus' take on Kingfisher crisisby IBNLive14,780 views
- 4:37 六四天安門事件21周年，之前未在YouTube 曝光的影片by Yamasaki Lin139,441 views
- 10:00 History Channel - Declassified, Tiananmen Square 4/5by demaia6,282 views
- 5:51 China's Darkside: what the mainstream media won't coverby answerswithquestions15,627 views
- 4:03 THE FIGHT FOR UNIONS IN CHINA: An Interview with Han Dongfangby PeteMcCormack21,244 views
- 28:27 Inside China - June 4th Tiananmen Square Massacre Part 2by NTDTV7,718 views
- 1:03 6月4日,2010 粵語新聞 六四當天 天安門廣場戒備森嚴by ntdcanton440 views
- 7:41 Tiananmen Rememberedby MissingVoices77177 views
- 6:31 Tiananmen mother Ding Zilin mother speaks to the crowd of 100,000 Hong Kong peopleby Stephen Thompson466 views
- 5:03 邓小平谈6.4事件时很自信很坚定很有魄力很伟大.无可争议的一代伟人.绝对的革命猛男.by China8341836,331 views
- 3:36 BBC News - June 4, 1989, Tiananmen Square Massacreby taozhuo1,274,773 views
- 1:25 CNN報導六四天安門屠殺21周年 21st Anniversary of Tiananmen Square Massacreby lizard15110314,385 views
- Loading more suggestions...