Nepal Aviation Holiday DVD with DHC-6 Twin Otter at Lukla
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 26, 2007
By virtue of its 27,000 foot high mountains, Nepal is known as the roof of the world. Much of the country is only accessible by air, with over 40 airfields, most being in the Himalayan region.
The AirlineHobby.com DVD takes us to visit Nepal's most famous alpine airstrip is at the mountain village of Lukla, the gateway to Mount Everest, which is situated at the end of a one-way-in and one-way-out mountain valley. Its from this airfield where visitors to Mount Everest start, and hopefully conclude their Everest visit.
Nestled on a small plateau on the angled side of steep cliff at 9400 feet, this short 1500-foot airstrip is a hive of Twin Otter and Dornier 228 activity, flying tourists and trekkers in from Kathmandu. In Nepalese the word Lukla means "place with many goats and sheep." Today, Lukla attracts mostly STOL aircraft!
We'll see lots of action footage filmed at Lukla including Sita Air's Dornier 228, Yeti DHC-6 Twin Otters, Agni Air Dornier 228, Royal Nepal Twin Otters, Shangri-La Air Twin Otters. (This DVD also includes a bonus track featuring Pokhara airport with Yeti Jetstream 41s and Buddha Air Beech 1900Ds.)
Fixed wing operations at Lukla take place in the morning as very strong up-mountain drafts prevail in the afternoon, and are too dangerous for flight operations. The 2000-foot drop-off at the runway's end is reminder enough that there is no room for error in this operation.
Nepalese pilots are rugged terrain experts, flying STOL aircraft from the shortest and most treacherous strips on the planet. We came here to sample the world's most precarious, regional airline mountain operation! Fasten seat belts and clench your knuckles for Twin Otter and Dornier 228 mountain flying like you've never seen! A must have DVD for aviation fans and pilots alike!
Standard YouTube License
- 6:10 Why Lukla, Nepal is the World's most dangerous airportby Sam Chui324,788 views
- 9:18 New Viking Air Twin Otter First Flightby V1K1N641R30,059 views
- 1:22 Boeing 707 and Boeing 720 The Early Yearsby AirlineHobbycomDVDs70,095 views
- 9:51 Maldivian Air Taxi - Twin Otter overview by the chief pilotby Aidan72453,672 views
- 57:34 The Nepal Documentaryby wwwcelticvideocom225,437 views
- 6:32 Dipa Shree Niraula - Dancing in Movie Kali Song Slowly .... | GlamourNepal.Comby GlamourNepal.Com 249,354 views
- 0:35 Buffalo Airways of Yellowknife - DC-4 C-46 DC-3 Cansoby AirlineHobbycomDVDs23,625 views
- 45 videos Play all Maule y otros aviones STOLby cesmir
- 1:14:29 Nepal did not have Hindu caste system when Kirat was rulers - Guest lecture, Tribhuvan Universityby TaMaGuRaLi1,728 views
- 2:32:41 Kathmandu new Nepali Movie 2013 Awesome New Generation'sby sunaulo nepal30,247 views
- 5:00 Landing at Pokhara Airportby sardagurung20,782 views
- 34:47 HISTORY of Kathmandu Nepal my diary 1978 full documentaryby Ed van der Kooy120,370 views
- 7:36 Twin Otter lands on Mackenzie Riverby gsmac196958,304 views
- 1:12 Beirut Airport Lebanon - Middle East's newest Jetportby AirlineHobbycomDVDs118,860 views
- 14:24 Kathmandu - Okhaldhunga - Salleri - काठमाडौं - ओखलढुङ्गा - सल्लेरीby Iliminaq141,971 views
- 2:35:19 Nepali Songs "old is Gold" Collections ...... Siba Gurung (Part-I)by Shiva Raj Gurung130,871 views
- 42:40 5th Nepali Dance Idol 2013 (Audition Round) FULL HDby lpgrg393,346 views
- 5:32 Flight to Lukla - Fall in Nepal 2006- Bradicich mediahead.tvby Paul Bradicich24,910 views
- 2:34:43 Krodh (2008) Nepali Movie (Moviez32)by Admin Aryan229,082 views
- 6:08 Aero-TV: Viking Twin Otter Series 400 - Bringing the DHC-6 Back into Productionby Aero-News Network13,616 views