Magkaisa! | The Philippines' 1986 People Power Revolution
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 22, 2008
In February 1986, the People of the Philippines showed the world how to restore democracy peacefully and through democratic ways.
After twenty years of enduring the iron-fist rule of President Ferdinand Marcos and his flamboyant wife, Imelda - a rule that made many coin the term, 'Conjugal Dictatorship,' our people showed their anger towards the actions of the dictatorship, and that we, the Filipino People, are the only ones who can decide the destiny of our nation.
For four days, Filipinos from many walks of life went out into the streets - realizing the stolen victory won by the dictator in the Snap Presidential Elections - calling for the return of democratic institutions and the full respect of human rights.
Backed by the influential Catholic Church and the final break of the military from the regime, the millions of civilians who flocked to EDSA - the Epifanio de Los Santos Avenue - did not stand by and allow blood to flow in the streets, stopping armed tanks and soldiers by kneeling in front of them, some raising up rosaries and bibles, holding up statues of the Blessed Mother and instead of hiding from the soldiers, they gave them flowers and offered them comfort and nourishments.
Seeing the indescribable power of the people, the Marcos dictatorship finally collapsed, sending President Marcos and his allies out of the country and into exile, and with the people finally snatched their victory, installed the leader of the opposition, the wife of the assassinated freedom-fighter Senator Ninoy Aquino, Corazon Aquino, as the President of the now-free and democratic Philippines.
Many all over the globe admired the courage shown by Filipinos, and did the same in their own homelands, toppling brutal dictatorships and successfully installing new democratic governments peacefully.
After twenty-four years since that historic moment in our history, when we, the Filipino People, offered everything, even our very lives, for the democracy and freedoms that our forefather fought for, let us not forget what we did as one nation.
In the recent death of our dear Tita Cory - President Cory Aquino, let us remember the sacrifices that we have done for the sake of our democracy.
Though we might have had some failures after '86, we must still remember in our hearts that we should be, nonetheless, thankful that we enjoy the freedom that Ninoy and Cory Aquino, and of course, the great generation who fought the regime, not with guns and blood, but with faith in God and in our people, reminiscing the famous quote of Senator Benigno Aquino, Jr., - that the Filipino is worth dying for, and what Corazon Aquino showed us as she guarded our democracy - that the Filipino is worth LIVING FOR.
MABUHAY ANG PILIPINAS!
Composed by Vicente Sotto III
Sung by Virna Lisa
Standard YouTube License
- 42:50 Powerhouse (Bahay ni Sen. Bong Bong Marcos) - 17 September 2013 Tuesday (Full Episode)by GMA PinoyTV33,441 views
- 86 videos Play all Philippine Tripple Colonial Historyby ChupaEngX025
- 41:28 WASAK EP 028 BONG BONG MARCOSby tv5theeveningnews9,558 views
- 10:29 Kris Aquino Interview with Bong Bong Marcos Part 1by bongbongmarcos2009487,637 views
- 45:48 Power House with Madam Imelda Marcos Episode July 9 2013by xxxteklaxxx131,048 views
- 3:34 THE PHILIPPINES 20 YEARS after (The Revelation and Prediction has just began)by FILIPINAS51,605 views
- 5:29 Magkaisa Virna Lisa With Lyricsby Irvin8302130,303 views
- 0:13 President Ferdinand Marcos comments on "People Power" Revolutionby PhilippinePresidency19,699 views
- 2:42:50 A Dangerous Life ..... (Full Movie) The Assassination of Benigno Aquino, Jr.by MrMickz1135,628 views
- 42:50 Powerhouse (Sen. Bong Bong Marcos) 09-17-2013by Kapusong Totoo70,335 views
- 4:28 Handog Ng Pilipino Sa Mundoby Jim Paredes545,015 views
- 10:50 BATAS MILITAR (3/11) Martial Law in the Philippinesby NinoyAquinoTV118,423 views
- 10:07 EDSA 1986 part 1by syakmataraki44,492 views
- 6:50 EDSA 1986 part 3by syakmataraki20,489 views
- 18:55 EDSA 20 (part 1)by bujeko109,638 views
- 4:02 Aquino Assassination 1983by Jim Laurie287,707 views
- 10:46 BATAS MILITAR (7/11) Martial Law in the Philippinesby NinoyAquinoTV88,787 views
- 9:31 Untold story of Martial Law (Aquino - Marcos)by Asingan Pangasinan82,091 views
- 10:54 BEYOND CONSPIRACY (1/8) 25 YEARS AFTER THE AQUINO ASSASSINATIONby NinoyAquinoTV248,016 views
- 3:42 Cory Aquino Funeral: LEA SALONGA sings BAYAN KOby TheSepulturera777,981 views