Christian Bigotry at a Ford Dealership? Info box please
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 27, 2008
Kieffe and Sons Ford had an announcement of some kind on its contact us page:
This statement is provided in response to reaction prompted by a radio commercial that Kieffe & Sons Ford recently ran referring to issues of God in our schools and on our money. The rest of the message is on their website: http://www.kieffeandsonsford.com click on contact us.
Read the news: http://www.bakersfield.com/102/story/...
I talked at length to Rick Kieffe, who called himself "The other end of the horse's mouth." lol
He's a real nice guy. He wanted me to tell you all that the ad is a part of a series of ads they do every quarter, and it's always tongue in cheek. The whole town where these ads air on the radio knows all about their ads. They're always over the top. So Rick is surprised at how fast word of this spread, and how sorely so many folks are taking this.
I asked if he had it to do all over again, would he run those ads? Would he install a disclaimer? He said he wouldn't run the ads at all. He said he didn't mean to upset or insult anyone, he's sorry that this made so many folks upset. He said that car dealers put a lot of advertising out and it's always boring, the same old thing. So Kieffe and Sons Ford decided about 15 years ago to do advertising differently, to really try to draw peoples' attention. Apparently he had no idea that this particular ad would do that in spades.
He also said that he's received a whole lot of phone calls in the last 24 hours, and a great many of them are short, heated, and even vulgar. Some folks have called him and really let him have it over the phone, hard.
At the same time, he said he's also received a lot of friendly calls like mine.
He said he never expected people outside of that little town to even care about what's in advertising that goes out to a small radio station, only to that little area. I reminded him that we now live in a global community, and that Atheists and other non-Christians are using the internet like America uses cars. Probably too much...lol
In only two conversations with Rick Kieffe, he sounds like a real nice guy. With that being said, he did offer up a potential argument from the side of Christian fundamentalism. The ad started out as a complaint about the Pledge of Allegiance being legally challenged by "one kid in a classroom," which was a vague reference to Michael Newdow's child. He asked me if it sounded fair, and I asked if he knew that invoking religion in a radio ad will eventually make some people upset. No matter what you end up saying. He replied that he was now aware of that.
So the ad was meant to be over the top just to grab our attention, not as an official statement of the attitude of Kieffe and Sons Ford, but in the end, that's their attitude anyway. Rick even said that he's not a fundamentalist Christian by any means, but then repeated the Pledge argument against our side.
So what to think? Some religious bigotry comes draped in friendly smiles with secular intentions. Maybe if we just use this as an exercise. A way for us to respond carefully in a situation that calls for tact and care. They're very aware of their mistake, and they look at it as a mistake, but they do actually agree with the sentiment in the ad.
Text of the ad: "Did you know that there are people in this country who want prayer out of schools, "Under God" out of the Pledge, and "In God We Trust" to be taken off our money?
But did you know that 86% of Americans say they believe in God? Now since we all know that 86 out of every 100 of us are Christians, who believe in God, we at Kieffe & Sons Ford wonder why we don't tell the other 14% to sit down and shut up. I guess maybe I just offended 14% of the people who are listening to this message. Well, if that is the case then I say that's tough, this is America folks, it's called free speech, and none of us at Kieffe & Sons Ford are afraid to speak out. Kieffe & Sons Ford on Sierra Highway in Mojave and Rosamond, if we don't see you today, by the grace of God, we'll be here tomorrow."
Joe's comment: In the immortal words of Alex in the movie A Clockwork Orange, "Quick! Get me something to be sick in!"
By the way, yes I'm aware I misspelled Kieffe in this video. It's "Kieffe" and not "Keiffe" and it's also not "Keiffer." lol I'd fix the video, but you understand now, right? Of course you do. :o)
Their website: http://www.kieffeandsons.com/
Standard YouTube License
- 4:05 Radical Fundamentalist Christian Home-Schoolingby apollo33's channelFeatured 103,864
- 4:59 When Christians Misbehave - One Nation Under God Rallyby aajoeyjo 25,174 views
- 4:53 When Christians Misbehave: Self-Induced Religious Fitby aajoeyjo 89,390 views
- 9:58 Blasphemy - the Movie - Part 1 - With Subtitlesby aajoeyjo 5,822 views
- 4:46 Proposition 8 and Christian bigotry (How religion takes away people's rights)by PiroNiro 40,811 views
- 5:21 A Reminder of Religious Expression in Texasby Joe Zamecki 4,425 views
- 9:08 PART II: NightLine Debate- Does God Exist? (1 of 5)by PiroNiro 263,463 views
- 2:56:05 la biblia, Jose peliculas cristianas completasby cesar urrieta 704,553 views
- 6:57 Deconversion of a fundamentalist christian - part 1by silvercastle 6,421 views
- 6:41 Duo Esperanza - Cristiano Adelante - TBB El Redentorby Sermones Cristianos 67,413 views
- 3:16 When Christians Misbehave: Christian Gauntlet at the GAMOWby aajoeyjo 10,976 views
- 6:43 Wacko Excerpt from Pelosi Documentaryby kevdog27 40,343 views
- 2:04:12 2 Horas de Musica Para Orar Musica Cristianaby Esteban S 14,224 views
- 5:45 Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christianby TheGreaterSatan 31,601 views
- 1:57:35 "PISTA - MUSICAL" PARA ORAR AL SEÑOR JEHOVA DIOS DE LOS EJERSITOS - ADORACIONES CRISTIANAS 3by TEEXALTAMOSJESUSREY 126,810 views
- 7:06 Crossroads Christian Church Corona -TV Panel Discussion re: Tolerance/Bigotryby dockofthebay443 1,053 views
- 1:58:30 "PISTA - MELODIAS MUSICAL" PARA ORAR AL SEÑOR JEHOVA DIOS - ADORACIONES CRISTIANAS 7by TEEXALTAMOSJESUSREY 244,702 views
- 3:31 Religion Kills Free Speechby ReligionIsACrutch 36,712 views
- 5:32 Crazy American Christian Woman Goes into a Religious Rage aka "God Warrior"by Crazy Korean Christian Hysteria 242,435 views
- 1:00 Highland Appliance Radio: Doubletalkerby chasfh 2,669 views
- Loading more suggestions...